Is it safe to put a computer on top of a microwave?

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 08:22 am
I'm 18 years old and I just moved into a college dorm for the first time. Obviously, I'm quite limited on space. My roommate thought it would be a good idea to put our microwave on the ground and sit the computer (just the tower) on top of it to free up some space. I didn't think much of it, and in fact I've used it for about a week now with no problems. But I do hear a lot of bad things about microwaves and I was wondering:

Is there some sort of leakage or anything that could affect either my microwave or (more importantly) my computer with extended use?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,069 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 08:25 am
I would imagine it could screw up your computer or monitor. There are "micro waves" coming out of your microwave....I am sure one of our "techies" can better answer this though.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 10:10 am
SHIELDING AND DETECTING MICROWAVES
SHIELDING AND DETECTING MICROWAVES

Ordinary screen-door aluminum wire mesh (but not the plastic kind) can shield computers, etc. quite well if the screen is placed between the radio source and the computer. The screen should be connected to ground. The more of the computer's area is covered, the better the shielding. Also, the use of a power-conditioning outlet strip (one which is specified to reduce "EMI" or electromagnetic interference) is recommended to avoid radio waves being picked up from the power line by the computer.

computers and microwaves
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 10:11 am
I prefer a slow cook crock pot...
0 Replies