Useless Hobbie$ and Habit$

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 07:37 pm
I'm still waiting on shewolf's explanation of the 350.00 daylily.

What the hell did she mean by that?

I know one thing: I want to sell shewolf some plants.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 07:40 pm
Ok I won't pester you.

last peep I promise: Real estate is a good investment for family members too. They could buy and you could manage the place...just a thought.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 07:42 pm
you're not pestering me, Green Witch. I've come to rather enjoy your intrusive remarks.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 07:44 pm
As I enjoy yours Gustav.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 07:52 pm
GW - I don't mind you asking about it. i would love to invest in real estate. The Boston market is over-priced and reaching it's quick-rise peak. Not a good time for a quick investment, but likely ok for a long-term investment. This place would probably sell for between 550,000 and 650,000 - way out of my league.

I asked my parents about whether they'd invest (at least a big down-payment). They thought quite a bit about the idea, but they lost a lot in the stock crash and have some funds tied up in a couple houses my mother's b-in-l built. They are both working retired.

Finally, I will be finishing up my current full-time job in the next year, or so. I'll be working part time, and hopefully will be going to school. After getting a master's in education, I'd go where the work was. What if it wasn't in this area?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 07:59 pm
Good points. I think the Boston bubble is going to be the first to pop. I do believe every woman should own property and you will find your Eden when the time is right- and then you can come to my nursery and buy lots of plants.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 08:09 pm
Oh man, like I need another nursery to buy lots of plants at (I'd love to)!

I wanted to buy a small house in Athens, GA, when I lived there - talk about cheap real estate. It's not so cheap anymore.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 09:42 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I'm still waiting on shewolf's explanation of the 350.00 daylily.

What the hell did she mean by that?

I know one thing: I want to sell shewolf some plants.

It was a primal scream day lilly...

( yes, it was the name that attracted me...)

http://www.ensata.com/Daylilies/PrimalScream.JPG
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 10:02 pm
It is a beauty.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 01:52 am
Marketing is everything. I hope you are still enjoying it SheWolf.

Each year the Bronx Botanical Gardens auctions off the chance to name a new plant (often a daylily) - the auction price goes into the thousands.

Personally, after the first 15 or so varieties, I can't tell those patented daylilies, coral bells or hostas apart.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 06:45 am
I believe that is why that one plant was priced so high. Now, I can find a good sized one - if I want it already growing- for about 80 bucks. Some cheaper, but not with reputable websites.
I have seen their bulbs go for 20$ .

I wish I were enjoying it.
I had it just before I got pregnant. And I had to spend almost 4 months on a very strict bed rest and alot of my plants suffered. I was so paranoid about getting up that I even contemplated a bedside commode at the time.. So watering plants? Nope.. not having it..

I only have 3 plants left from my jungle apt that survived the pregnancy, new baby, and the move.

Some day, I will start over again.. This time I wont drop a stupid amount of money on a plant. >sigh<
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 10:20 am
I still can't get over $350 for a plant.

How long would something like this live?

I never realized plants were that expensive.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 12:11 pm
There is a plant that onlt blooms every hundred years or so and it smells like sh!t and it's extremely expensive. I forget the name of it.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 12:17 pm
Perennial garden plants rarely cost more than $15, many are under $10. I'm afraid Shewolf feel victim to the world of patented plant marketing. Someone finds (or creates) a slightly different color or version of a popular plant and then gives it a snazzy name. They market it like a Jaguar race car or Ralph Lauren socks. We get promos for plants like these and the sales pitch is designed to excite the ego. Kind of like "be in the first in your neighborhood", "the garden club will be green with envy", etc. They just release small quantities of the plant to make it seem like an exotic, rare thing. Most are actually reproduced by tissue culture and could be released in larger amounts, but why mess with success.
Shewolf you seem like such an earthy, sensible creature - now you get over to my place- I have really cool plant I'd like show you... I'll even name it Jillian's Joy if you like...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 02:17 pm
Laughing

my thoughts exactly.
When i got the plant.. i was just looking at it like..
Ok.. dumbass.. you just payed HOW much for that?
and the 20 dollar one right next to it looks exactly the same.. >sigh<

live an learn.
That is why it feel into this catagory.

the plant i think you are talking about Nick is the centruy plant..?
0 Replies