Useless Hobbie$ and Habit$

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 11:08 am
How often do you make purchases that make you think "I really DON'T need that, but I want it." Something you know the money could be better used somewhere else?

Do you have any expensive hobbies that just drain your funds, but like a crackhead, you need it?

Besides spending way too much money on drinking, food, and buying cd's like I'm on a quest to collect every one, one hobby that takes a lot of $$ is my motorcycle. Just thinking about it today. Bike payment(yea yea, I could pay it off but would rather not), insurance, maintenance, riding gear, and mods. For example, today I'm ordering a new exhaust online. Why? Because it looks cool. After install, it'll cost close to, if not $1,000. For a f'n exhaust on a bike I've ridden 4K miles this year.

I know I could sell the bike, would save some $$ and obviously remove a pretty high-risk activity from my life. But I know if I didn't have the bike, I'd probably buy a second "toy" car. So guess it evens out.

So cars/bikes are something I'm willing to spend too much disposable income on, even though I know they're simply toys.

What weakens your good financial senses?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,056 • Replies: 54
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 11:23 am
Books, especially photo books (at $50 plus a pop) are my real weakness. I could use the library but....

Ordering snapshots from my photo lab instead of using so discout, send off, photo lab. The lab makes great sense for "real" photos but now I'm hooked on the quality. I even have Mo's photos printed there. I assure you, they don't get many Sponge Bob Squarepants cameras in for processing....
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 11:25 am
number one- smoking .
yeah.. im a dragon lady.
i only smoke about 4 a day? IF that..? but, like a good butt scratch.. I just cant do without it.

my second expencive hobby..when we HAD the money that is..
was plants.
I had some of the most expencive plants I could find.
Alot of times.. it was just for the price tag that i wanted them.. Confused
In our old apt, 2 bedroom 3,000 sq ft- it was a jungle.
and like crack.. i bought one almost every week.
Not a 1,000 a month habit.. but.. close to it..
>sigh< i miss disposable income..
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 11:34 am
How much is an expensive plant?

See, I want to buy one or two plants, probably fake, and I cringe when I see anything over $50.

But $700 for an exhaust? BRING IT!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 11:48 am
350 for a day lilly?
not to mention shipping, handling, and packaging?
;-)
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 12:05 pm
Before kid #2 I golfed 3 times a week - now I'm just lucky if I can once a year.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 12:10 pm
$350 for a lily! Damn.

I know golfing can be pricey too. I've never been. Don't need that hobby right now.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 12:21 pm
This isn't an expensive hobby, but it's really one of the few things I indulge myself in.

Nail Polish.

Only OPI - I don't know why, I just won't buy any other brand.

I can't walk by a display without becoming entranced.

I don't buy ordinary colors, like pinks or roses. The closest I have to "normal" is "I'm not really a waitress red" mostly I go for blues, greens, golds, tans (what I'm wearing today), dark purple, etc.

This is funny, because most of my life I didn't care about how my nails looked.

I've never gotten a professional manicure, and don't want to.

I just feel good when my hands have nails that look well cared for and colorful.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 01:09 pm
I buy toys for my kids. Seriously. I had almost no toys; now my kids have everything under the sun.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 01:25 pm
DrewDad wrote:
I buy toys for my kids. Seriously. I had almost no toys; now my kids have everything under the sun.

wow - I'm jealous, really.

the other day I had to find a boat for a display I was making. you know what? you can't find a toy boat to save your life around here. I even ended up at Toys backward R Us.

Nada

I eventually landed in the baby dept thinking they'd have tub toys. Nope.
I asked the guy, "well, what do babies play with in the bath tub"?

Then, I started thinking about what I had.

A wash rag.

I used to pretend it was a squid.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 01:41 pm
I can understand that Chai Tea - I love OPI colors especially the ones you mentioned - although I have not used a green yet. I can say that was an obsession I had once before kids. I always made sure to get a manicure every two weeks - I had an ongoing appointment. And then pedicures (but not as often). I always would choose OPI and usually a blue or dark purple.

I also love the names of the colors and the names of the collections. I imagine that a group of women sit around drinking wine and coming up these names.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 01:58 pm
Linkat

You know what I think the prettiest color is?

Sahara Saphire.

I bought it as an OPI Blast From the Past.

It's a steel blue, not bright but very classy.

The weather's changed now, so I have to dig out my winter color's.

You're right about the names.
I can just imagine the ones that end up on the cutting room floor.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 03:40 pm
Back to the topic.

Years ago I was delighted to find out that Colette shared my passion for office supplies: notebooks and colored pens and tablets of all sizes and paper clips sheathed in plastic and varigated file cards....

Books of course. Paperbacks are so much less wicked than hard covers and you can buy more for the same price.

Spring bulbs. You can never have too many spring bulbs.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 04:24 pm
3 words-
used book stores.
i think i have to throw my hat into that ' addiction' ring as well.
I read about 4-7 books a month.
I recycle them in a sense. I re - sell them to the book store I buy them from and use the store credit twords new books.
In the end, i am only putting maybe 12-20 a month to a new batch of books.. but that is useless spending on my half.
One i have never figured how to get out of
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 04:37 pm
Hey Slap. You could probably get the same exhaust custom built and installed from a muffler shop for 300 bucks. Then you could give the other 700 bucks to me for my advice.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 06:33 pm
shewolf - 350 bucks for a daylily! Do you remember the name? This I'd love to see. And, I'd like to know, where is it now?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 12:52 am
NickFun wrote:
Hey Slap. You could probably get the same exhaust custom built and installed from a muffler shop for 300 bucks. Then you could give the other 700 bucks to me for my advice.

No I couldn't. You gotta see this damn thing. Sick. The install is supposedly very difficult. Bike has a dual undertail exhaust, and this one is 4 pipes(two on each side).

Hey Chai...I went to a concert tonight. Would you like to hear my analysis? Very tight sound...singer had it down...oh, nevermind.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 11:34 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
NickFun wrote:

No I couldn't. You gotta see this damn thing. Sick. The install is supposedly very difficult. Bike has a dual undertail exhaust, and this one is 4 pipes(two on each side).

Hey Chai...I went to a concert tonight. Would you like to hear my analysis? Very tight sound...singer had it down...oh, nevermind.

No.
But let me tell you about this DARLING polish I stopped off and bought on the way home last night.

It was JUST the most precious shade of aubergine and I decided to wear it with my........

Oh, forget it.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 06:09 pm
EBAY.....Reels me in almost every time. I surf around usually looking for nothing, but always end up finding something I wouldn't find anywhere else.....then click.....I do it....."buy it now"........it's done.....no turning back........Good ol' ebay.........
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 06:40 pm
antique Pa Dutch Painted furniture. I tell everyone "its a great investment" Yeah, when Im dead cuz I aint partin with any of it.
Also, Sennelier water colors and **** for the boat. Now theres a money pit, the boat stuff that is.
0 Replies