Time Puzzle discovered

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 03:00 pm
Scientists have accurately measured the length of time it takes on the time-line for the passing of one second. What they didn't expect to find was a difference between the second on the time-line and the second on the most accurate clock.

The time-line second is 0.999999999807 seconds, while a physical event lasting one second takes about 1.0000000000692 seconds. They are unable to give any reasons for this.

Anyone have any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,471 • Replies: 41
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 04:26 am
Let me think about it for a second.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 04:32 am
what's a time-line? why aren't they both 1 second exactly? wouldn't a time-line second be one second? and how did they measure it if the most accurate clock isn't perfectly accurate? eeenteresteenk.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 04:34 am
Quote:
Joe (wehavenotseenhimforhoursafterthat) Nation said:
Let me think about it for a second.

joeN, how long is [your second?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 04:51 am
Hey daggie, did you notice that Johnny's "scientists" are un-named, unreferenced and apparently can't tell you the time of day?

My second depends on who I am talking to:

(One the phone) Hold on a sec.
(Could be as long as two minutes.)

(Talking to my boss) I'll have that for you in a second.
(Two days, and still not finished really.)

(My wife speaks.) I'll be ready in a second.
(I get out a New Yorker and start reading the long article on coal trains.)

(deep thoughts) I only saw her for a second, a half-glimpse, a strobe-flash, then she was gone in the crowd.

(Yet I can play that moment over in my head like a full length movie, the camera follows in slo-mo, her laugh on the track is musical and ends in a Am7th cord sting.)

Joe(Does anybody really know what time it is?)Nation
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 05:00 am
Surely a second is a second.
Scientists have too much time on their hands and are given way too much money.
What about important stuff like saving people from disease and natural disasters, thats where the money should go!!
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 06:53 am
Everyone, and not just the scientists, know that there is Time. Time is a dimension on which events are placed. Events are stretched out on a time-line. Without Time, everything would happen at once.

So scientists try to measure the time-line, irrespective of any events that fall on it. This makes sense doesn't it? Not only do scientists try to find out how fast time passes on the time line, but also how long a second is on the time line.

We would normally expect a second on the time-line to last as long as an event lasting one second. If you believe in Time, and the time-line, then you cannot doubt this.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 07:41 am
I can doubt pretty much freakin' anything.

Do you have a source for this science fiction?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 07:58 am
time line is a human concept. not preordained by god or any higher power. so if a human says one second is one second, that's that. who are your scientists? please give a link or a source to 'they'. otherwise we're wasting time here. imagined or real.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 12:14 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
time line is a human concept. not preordained by god or any higher power. so if a human says one second is one second, that's that. who are your scientists? please give a link or a source to 'they'. otherwise we're wasting time here. imagined or real.

You should know whether you are wasting your time BEFORE I give you the names of the scientists. You shouldn't have to rely on the scientists.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 12:18 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Hey daggie, did you notice that Johnny's "scientists" are un-named, unreferenced and apparently can't tell you the time of day?

My second depends on who I am talking to:

(One the phone) Hold on a sec.
(Could be as long as two minutes.)

(Talking to my boss) I'll have that for you in a second.
(Two days, and still not finished really.)

(My wife speaks.) I'll be ready in a second.
(I get out a New Yorker and start reading the long article on coal trains.)

(deep thoughts) I only saw her for a second, a half-glimpse, a strobe-flash, then she was gone in the crowd.

(Yet I can play that moment over in my head like a full length movie, the camera follows in slo-mo, her laugh on the track is musical and ends in a Am7th cord sting.)

Joe(Does anybody really know what time it is?)Nation

Ah- but there is a scientific second. Don't forget the scientific second. That's what the scientific clocks measure. Don't forget the scientific clocks.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 03:26 pm
Researchers use short pulses of laser light to produce images of electrons leaving atoms and recorded what happened to within 100 attoseconds*.

* An attosecond is one quintillionth (10 to the power of minus 18) of a second.

To imagine how long this is, if 100 attoseconds is stretched so that it lasts one second, one second would last 300 million years on the same scale.

The Earth is constantly undergoing a deceleration caused by the braking action of the tides. Through the use of ancient observations of eclipses, it is possible to determine the average deceleration of the Earth to be roughly 1.4 milliseconds per day per century. This deceleration causes the Earth's rotational time to slow with respect to the atomic clock time.

Civil time is occasionally adjusted by one second increments to ensure that the difference between a uniform time scale defined by atomic clocks does not differ from the Earth's rotational time by more than 0.9 seconds. Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), an atomic time, is the basis for civil time.

Therefore, between adjustments atomic time will always differ from civil time. Heck, that's about a minute in a lifetime. Shocked
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 03:33 pm
I spent a month in Lubbock one weekend. Does that count?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 03:49 pm
Johns been sniffin the Oxi-Clean again. If youre really in possession of no -life, then the following link will explain it all.IF IT AINT HERE YOU DONT NEED IT
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 03:52 pm
DrewDad wrote:
I spent a month in Lubbock one weekend. Does that count?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 03:52 pm
I usually just call the guys out in Denver and say "Hey what time is it?" They hate that. Theyre just sitting around watching that Cesium 1333 atom
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 04:07 pm
Oh no! that could cause a dilemma because in a magnetic field, atoms of the element cesium 133 can adopt either of two energy levels corresponding to differences in total angular momentum. Additionally, each level contains a hyperfine structure of closely-spaced sub-levels.

In practice, a transition or Rabi resonance can be excited from the lower to the upper level, between two particular hyperfine levels, at a frequency of 9,192,631,770 cycles per second (Hz) in the microwave region.

The international (SI) second was thus defined in 1967 by the International Bureau of Weights and Measures as the duration of 9,912,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to this transition.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 04:22 pm
and whats the punch line to: What'd the Lamb say to the Rabi?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 04:38 pm
John Jones wrote:

You should know whether you are wasting your time BEFORE I give you the names of the scientists. You shouldn't have to rely on the scientists.

Since I don't have to rely on the scientists, I guess I can ignore your references to them and their measurements.

My time is passing much more smoothly already.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 04:40 pm
farmerman wrote:
and whats the punch line to: What'd the Lamb say to the Rabi?

Why do visions of sheep skin and bris run through my mind?
0 Replies