Best Rap Is Unknown

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 09:45 pm
It is my belief that the best rap is the rap that not many people know of. Example would be Afroman, he is amazing. Alot of you have probably heard smoker anthem "Because I Got High" which is a great song, but it kinda gets old fast. He has like 10 songs at least that could easily be radio singles, yet, nothing.

I figure there are alot more rappers like him, and if anyone would be nice enough to share them, I'd tell you thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 14,868 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Dirty O

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 04:27 am
of the top of my head some amazing hip hop artits
K'Naan
Immortal Technique
They're both kind of ...political?... and technique can get heavy
Aceyalone
Abstract Rude
Mad Villain
Masta Ace
Latyrx
DL Incognito
These next are fairly well known but got a lot of good stuff
Del tha Funkee Homosapien
Heiroglyphics
Blackalicious
Slick Rick
Pharoahe Monch (got more than just Simon Says)
Common Sense (Common)
Pharcyde

When I wanna listen to Hip Hop I go with guys like that

The reason y rap that isn't known is so good, is because they don't have to cater to popular demand
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 01:45 pm
Immortal Technique
Tonedef
Blackalicious
MF Doom
Talib Kweli
Immortal Technique
old Twista
Immortal Technique
Heiroglyphics
Immortal Technique
Atmosphere
Immortal Technique

Those are the rappers I listen to that are undergournd. Immortal Technique as you can tell is my favorite.
0 Replies

Mirage

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 03:49 am
Dirty O wrote:
of the top of my head some amazing hip hop artits
K'Naan
Immortal Technique
They're both kind of ...political?... and technique can get heavy
Aceyalone
Abstract Rude
Mad Villain
Masta Ace
Latyrx
DL Incognito
These next are fairly well known but got a lot of good stuff
Del tha Funkee Homosapien
Heiroglyphics
Blackalicious
Slick Rick
Pharoahe Monch (got more than just Simon Says)
Common Sense (Common)
Pharcyde

When I wanna listen to Hip Hop I go with guys like that

The reason y rap that isn't known is so good, is because they don't have to cater to popular demand

God, who are does ?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 05:36 am
the same could be said for almost any style of music, there are bar bands all over the world as good as any radio band
0 Replies

Mirage

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 01:13 pm
^ even better, unfortunately.. You're right..
0 Replies

TheIntro

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 03:48 pm
but for rap it holds soo much truer though.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 04:14 pm
Nope. It's been that way since the beginning of time. I've known several back-up vocalists who could sing rings around the acts they were backing but unfortunately, they were relegated to the background simply because they hadn't made the right connection (slept with the right producer/promoter/musician, etc.). And here we are, many, many years later and we've never heard a peep out of any of these incredible vocalists. They're probably still singing back-up for some no-talented squeeker getting all of the attention.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 04:20 pm
Isn't Talib Kweli on one of the Kayne West songs, off the first cd?

Because I Got High is a great song? I always thought of it as a novelty, just funny.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 04:21 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Isn't Talib Kweli on one of the Kayne West songs, off the first cd?

Because I Got High is a great song? I always thought of it as a novelty, just funny.

The lyrics are funny, it has an amazing sing along quality and it is about smoking...Though it may not change the world, it is still very good.
0 Replies

helplessteen

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 02:15 pm
I think rap sucks to its entirty, It's completley mind changing to a young person and makes them feel the way about the songs do like for instance. " I wanna rub you shove you pick you up a hump you" If that's going it to young minds... I'm very afraid.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 03:22 pm
helplessteen wrote:
I think rap sucks to its entirty, It's completley mind changing to a young person and makes them feel the way about the songs do like for instance. " I wanna rub you shove you pick you up a hump you" If that's going it to young minds... I'm very afraid.

That's what people thought of rock music in the 50's. It's going to send everyone to hell.

If someone is that impressionable where they're going to start acting differently due to something they heard in a song, then I feel bad for that kid. Mommy and daddy obviously didn't give them enough hugs.
0 Replies

Delicate Sound Of Thunder

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 11:50 am
Well rock music doesn't say anthing thing about killing people and raping them, like that rap crap.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 05:05 pm
Delicate Sound Of Thunder wrote:
Well rock music doesn't say anthing thing about killing people and raping them, like that rap crap.

You're kidding me, right? You're not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Not at all...you're completely right.

Quote from a Metallica song: "I've got something to say. I raped your mother today....I got something to say, I killed your baby today."
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 06:45 pm
Rap is fine. I don't like it, but it's just fine. It's like disco: it was cool for a while and then people kinda got tired of it and it died out. You can tell already that rap is dying out and hip-hop/r&b is taking it's place. Don't worry if you don't like rap, it'll only be around a few more years, I think.

BTW what's with the flood of Pink Floyd fanatics nowadays. I thought I was the only one here, but I find a new one every week it seems...
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 06:58 pm
Quote:
Originally posted by: Delicate Sound Of Thunder

Quote:
Originally posted by:Slappy Doo Hoo
You're kidding me, right? You're not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Not at all...you're completely right.

Quote from a Metallica song: "I've got something to say. I raped your mother today....I got something to say, I killed your baby today."

LOL! How about the Nirvana song, so eloquently entitled: Rape Me. Or the Senses Fail song called: Choke On This. Maybe you prefer Green Day, they're safe right? Like their song called Blood, Sex and Booze? Well regardless, I think you can see my point.
0 Replies

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:31 pm
CrazyDiamond wrote:

BTW what's with the flood of Pink Floyd fanatics nowadays. I thought I was the only one here, but I find a new one every week it seems...

At least they get into music thats quality.
0 Replies

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:31 pm
Well OK. You have proven me wrong. I don't listen to Nirvana or Metallica songs. Theres not just rock music theres a wide variety of rock music. Like Indie, Retro, Heavy Metal, Punk... I think Metallica and Nirvana fit into the same catagory.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 10:54 pm
Quote:
At least they get into music thats quality.

Oh yes they certainly do. As I am one of them, I can account to this. Very Happy

Quote:
Well OK. You have proven me wrong. I don't listen to Nirvana or Metallica songs. Theres not just rock music theres a wide variety of rock music. Like Indie, Retro, Heavy Metal, Punk... I think Metallica and Nirvana fit into the same catagory.

Of course. It was just funny the way you said it. No offense intended.
0 Replies

Mirage

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 11:02 am
CrazyDiamond wrote:
Rap is fine. I don't like it, but it's just fine. It's like disco: it was cool for a while and then people kinda got tired of it and it died out. You can tell already that rap is dying out and hip-hop/r&b is taking it's place. Don't worry if you don't like rap, it'll only be around a few more years, I think.

Let me correct you. Hip-hop has several elements : rap, DJing, beatmaking, break dancing, beatboxing, graffiting. So you can't say that rap is dying out and hip-hop is taking it's place. Therefore, rap isn't dying, it's developing fast.

Talking about rock, it is found that many, many groups have songs in which, when you reverse, they put satan messages, such as "Satan I love you" etc. So Thunder, you can't say what you said(wrote).

To sum up, I don't say that rap is pure, I say that rock isn't too... And that rap is, believe me, developing very fast. (I am an rap artist myself)
0 Replies