slight off topic, but science related nonetheless

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 09:35 pm
I'm start a chemistry club soon and I need to find some good experiments that are do-able and fun in a high school environment. So far, I only have dumping sodium, potassium, and other metals into water. does anyone have any good suggestions? I think the club members are willing to contribute some money for experiments that require slightly more expensive and/or not readily available chemicals.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 722 • Replies: 7
No top replies

vinsan

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 06:08 am
Interactive Chemistry
This link may help.......

Interactive Chemistry
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 06:55 am
Re: slight off topic, but science related nonetheless
inspiration wrote:
I'm start a chemistry club soon and I need to find some good experiments that are do-able and fun in a high school environment. So far, I only have dumping sodium, potassium, and other metals into water. does anyone have any good suggestions? I think the club members are willing to contribute some money for experiments that require slightly more expensive and/or not readily available chemicals.

How about painting each other with white phosphorus, putting a lighted sparkler up your bum and running into a neighbours house shouting 'hey look everyone, I'm an eskimo and I'm suffering from global warming'. I did.
0 Replies

inspiration

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 04:06 pm
lol thanks for the idea but I need experiments that aren't crazy.

Does anyone know of any experiments that involve controlled explosions? perhaps we can make our own small scale explosives to set off in that chamber thing.

And I think most people would want to see experiments that will result in at least one of the following:
fumes, foam, bubbles, heat, fire, light, or explosions
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 03:10 am
inspiration wrote:
lol thanks for the idea but I need experiments that aren't crazy.

Does anyone know of any experiments that involve controlled explosions? perhaps we can make our own small scale explosives to set off in that chamber thing.

And I think most people would want to see experiments that will result in at least one of the following:
fumes, foam, bubbles, heat, fire, light, or explosions

Here's a good one. First set the scene by wearing a sandwich board that reads 'science is fun'. Put a saucepan on your head with hardened dog poo tied on it. Light it and walk around town. Hand out leaflets with your web blog address.
0 Replies

ghostofgauss

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 01:00 pm
I heard that if you put Silicon(?) Carbide in water, it produces bubbles of acetlyene gas. You can then react those with bubbles of chlorine gas, and although I know how to make those too, I'm not comfortable broadcasting that information on the Internet. If you want explosions, you could always react acids with metals, collect the hydrogen gas produced into a hollowed egg shell, and light that. I did it several times. Just wear safety goggles and do it in a fume hood.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 01:06 pm
ghostofgauss wrote:
I heard that if you put Silicon(?) Carbide in water, it produces bubbles of acetlyene gas. You can then react those with bubbles of chlorine gas, and although I know how to make those too, I'm not comfortable broadcasting that information on the Internet. If you want explosions, you could always react acids with metals, collect the hydrogen gas produced into a hollowed egg shell, and light that. I did it several times. Just wear safety goggles and do it in a fume hood.

That'll be calcium carbide. Take some calcium carbide (get some wire-cutters, break into a Fine Chemicals compound and root around the stores for it), add water, sniff the bubbles and light them before you pass out.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 05:44 pm
Who was it who put this thread on sound theological grounds?
0 Replies