Obsessed-w/-music folks: Give me a clue!

flushd

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 09:48 pm
Y'know those people who are obsessed with music?!
They always have it on, they analyze and talk about bands/music constantly, their collections of CDs DVDs and music-related stuff fills the apartment, they relate most things back to music, and when they aren't doing that they are playing it or trying to find someone to 'jam' or 'hook-up' with
..Uh, yeah,,,,can someone fill me in with what the deal is?!

I have a few of these people in my life. They are important to me. I myself enjoy music. I like listening sometimes. I play it and sing in a band on occasion. But i'm not obsessed. And I don't really get it. I don't really understand where they are coming from.

I'd love to know what is going on; if only so I can understand certain people better. I have beefs about this whole situation. I like sleeping without music blaring. I like not thinking about music sometimes. I like talking about things other than music!

Anyone out there know what I'm talking about, or perhaps IS one of these people who can explain to me what the deal is? And maybe how I can cope with this without having to leave when the 'music' gets too be too much?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,591 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 10:07 pm
I don't actually know anyone like you describe. I have some friends -- even relatives -- who are professional musicians. But they certainly don't eat, sleep and dream music exclusively. In fact, I find that serious musicians don't like to have music playing all the time. It's too distracting because they feel they have to listen to every note and nuance. For them it's all work and business rather than just enjoyment. I have some sort of music on most of the time because I don't think about it at all. It's just nice background, rather than having a talking head on TV or the sound of silence. Most serious musicians I know can't handle that. They'd have to interrupt their typing on the 'puter in order to actually listen. I hear but I don't listen intently.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 10:11 pm
I know lots of people like that. A big reason for people not automatically playing music when they enjoy it, is because playing music isn't easy. So you are in a band but you're not really into music? That's real good.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 10:26 pm
Thanks for replying guys.

Yeah; good points. When I think about it, these folks aren't professional musicians. They are just obsessed with music.

I think it must come down to an obsessive personality or something. Just an obsession. Not 100% on this.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 12:30 am
you could be right about obssession. i have obsessive tendencies. here's an example: in the music & lyrics forum, there's a neverending song title words in common thread, to which i regularly post. most people would be satisfied if they think of a song name, whereas i try to find a songname no one has posted in that thread. i also listen to music a lot. exactly what is the psychological appeal of music is a deep mystery, i think, but i believe it to be one of humanity's greatest achievements. still, listening to the same recording over & over smacks of obsession, although it's true that you often hear something on a repeat performance that you didn't notice the first time around.

btw, obsessive/compulsive behavior is often regarded as a defense against anxiety; it has a calming, perhaps even mildly self-hypnotic effect, perhaps not that different from chanting a mantra. it might be interesting to investigate if the music-obsessed tend to be anxious or otherwise neurotic. i also believe "music therapy" has been quite successful for treating some psychological or neurological ailments.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 02:09 pm
I live music. Write it. Play it. Listen to it. Soon I'll be recording it.

And I have an observation. Usually the people who breathe music are the ones who listen to underground music, whether it be punk, metal (hell yes), reggae, or indie etc.. Not too many real music-lovers will be listening to Korn, or Blink 182, or even Bon Jovi or Michael Jackson etc... I myself listen to prog like King Crimson, Porcupine Tree etc and black metal like Emperor, Alghazanth, Darkthrone etc...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 02:15 pm
crap, we've got the austin city limits festival going on this week.

all it means to me is I've got to detour to get home.

flushd, you've probably read my other thread about what's the big deal w/ music.

if someone starts going on about it, I want to roll my eyes back in my head and fake a seizure.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 02:19 pm
I'll catch you as you fall, Chai. That'll give me a perfect excuse for also getting out of the room. People who endlessly talk about music are the most dizzyingly crashing bores imagineable. Music is to listen to, not talk about.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 02:20 pm
I LOVE music. I went to a show last night, saw Helmet and a great local band. I was blown away, seeing this legendary band playing in front of a crowd of only 200-300, being 10 feet from the stage.

I love to watch bands with talented musicians. Saw White Stripes this week, and watching Jack White's guitar playing....last night watching the drummer from Helmet who's just nasty. Such a difference when you see guys who are very good vs. mediocre musicians. For example seeing the drummer last night vs. Meg White who's not a good drummer at all.

I buy a ton of cds, and listen to everything from heavy metal, to hip hop, to Tori Amos.

Just bought a bass this year and learning to play along to songs, it's fun as hell.

So guess it comes down to is the emotion that comes out of music. It's an art, one that brings out different feelings.

Why would you have a beef against people who love music??? That's like saying I have a beef against people into paintings, wine, or pottery.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 02:24 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
I LOVE music. I went to a show last night, saw Helmet and a great local band. I was blown away, seeing this legendary band playing in front of a crowd of only 200-300, being 10 feet from the stage.

I love to watch bands with talented musicians. Saw White Stripes this week, and watching Jack White's guitar playing....last night watching the drummer from Helmet who's just nasty. Such a difference when you see guys who are very good vs. mediocre musicians. For example seeing the drummer last night vs. Meg White who's not a good drummer at all.

I buy a ton of cds, and listen to everything from heavy metal, to hip hop, to Tori Amos.

Just bought a bass this year and learning to play along to songs, it's fun as hell.

So guess it comes down to is the emotion that comes out of music. It's an art, one that brings out different feelings.

Why would you have a beef against people who love music??? That's like saying I have a beef against people into paintings, wine, or pottery.

<psssst, merry andrew, get ready to catch me>

ggggaa, gahhhha, jjjskkkaaaaaaaaa.......(drool).......

bump, bump, bump <head thumping on floor>
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 02:27 pm
Kind of back to the topic, I don't sit and talk about music with people unless they're like-minded. I have a couple of friends who are like me, and we can sit and talk about different musicians, bands and their sound, ect. But I won't sit and talk to someone not into it like I am about that stuff.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 02:31 pm
<raising head off floor>

but.......

you just did......

<falling back and flopping like a halibut>
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 05:02 pm
<picking Chai up off the floor and carrying her out of the room>
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 10:47 pm
Laughing Oh my lord that's funny! Exclamation

Slappy; that's the stuff I'm talking about. I would have thought from my post you would have noticed that I am not interested in hearing about Helmet and White Stripes concerts and drummer A versus drummer B.
I really don't mean to be a jerk: it's just so easy for someone who is passionate about music to not even notice when someone no longer is interested!
Same thing goes for any other area where people are obsessed/super-passionate.
Thanks Slappy for trying to answer my q though! It's the emotional appeal. Hmm. I suppose I can understand that.

Yitwail made an interesting observation re: obsessive-compulsive behavior and psych/ anxiety problems. Makes sense to me! That would fit in nicely in my situation and folks: could be the overzealousness (is that a word?!) is a way to cope with anxiety. I mean, music is relaxing and calming to me as well.

People liking music is not a beef to me: it is the specific obsessive behaviors that I encounter regularly. And invariably, it always has something to do with music.

I'm with ya Chai: some days I just want to blow my brains out rather than hear another band reference or song!

cheers
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 11:10 pm
Honey, I'm home!!!

Look what was on sale at KitschMart!
That toothbrush holder I wanted...
and look at these matching dish towels..etc etc

thunk

Eyes roll up.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 04:41 pm
I can tell you I'm far from having any anxiety or psych problems. And I'm not obsessed, either.

Again, what's the difference between someone who really enjoys music vs. anything else, such as art?
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 05:45 pm
Aye Slappy.....I hope you don't take my sweeping generalities personally.

I don't mean to imply that you are obsessed or anyting else. Sorry if I came across that way. :wink:

Perhaps I should now rephrase what I was asking: How to handle people that obsess?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 05:52 pm
I'm just trying to figure out why the topic is focused only on music.

Some people are heavily into cars, sports, and live/breath their hobbies or interests. Obviously some are more obsessed than others.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 05:55 pm
I focused on music bc that is my personal situation: folks obsessed with music. And it's driving me to drink...more.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 06:04 pm
There are music lovers, and then there are music snobs.

Music lovers enjoy good music and, like Slappy, will talk about how great and fun it was seeing certain bands or people, dance, jump around, get excited when they hear something good, etc...these are music lovers.

Then there are the people who are not really music fans, they are just people who think it makes them sound smart when they can discuss things like time signatures, chord structures, brands of drum sticks, guitar pickups, and the multitude of other things that make these people complete f*cking bores. These people will stand like statues at a concert, no matter how great the music is, and will in fact, interrupt the enjoyment of the real music fans by saying things like, "what kind of strings do you think the guitarist uses?", or "interesting high hat fill on that bridge"...these are what are known as music snobs. They have nothing to do with music, will ruin the fun of music for all around them, and should be shunned by music lovers, and in fact, by all people, for being such pretentious dicks.
0 Replies