New (33rd) Asterix Album Announced today

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:58 am
Albert Uderzo, 78, creator of the comic strip with René Goscinny who died in 1977, announced today in Brussels that the new album will be on sale worldwide from the 15th of october onwards, in 8 million copies.

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afpde/20050922/05/2524467602.jpg

The French title is "Le ciel lui tombe sur la tête" (in English "Sky falls on head", in German "Gallien in Gefahr").

But at a press conference in the Belgian capital, Uderzo refused to give anything away about the plot. "I want to keep the element of surprise for the readers - the pleasure of personal discovery," he said. (And added that he actually would like to tell more, but had had to promise, not to do so.)

Brussels -- a city renowned as Europe's comic-book capital -- has laid on several days of festivities to celebrate the moustachioed warrior, with its Grande Place transformed into a Gallic village and the statue known as the Manneken Pis decked out in Obelix's blue-and-white striped pantaloons.

A series of stamps is to be unveiled, and two passenger airliners have been officially dubbed Asterix and Obelix.

http://radio-canada.ca/nouvelles/ressources/images/normales/a/as/050921asterix-avion2_n.jpg http://www.leguide.be/mediastore/_2005/septembre/du_21_a_la_fin/_22_asterix.jpg

Uderzo said more albums could lie ahead. "As long as I keep having fun and more good ideas, and as long as Toutatis grants me life, I will keep going."

(source: various French, German and Belgian media.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,676 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 12:28 pm
This is interesting, Walter. Asterix never really caught on in the UK, but whenever I am in France, I often see it on the TV, and it seems quite amusing.

I don't know why it was never mainstream kids TV here, and I would be interested to know whether it is popular in the USA.

Anyone?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 12:36 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Asterix never really caught on in the UK, ...

That's obviously the reason why the first reports about this are online only since very recently (after I posted that) .... from South Africa :wink:
(And only French Canadian Radio reported about it - so I really had to translate all that!)

Well, you get here a couple of (older) albums in all mayor (and minor) German dialects - and it was our favourite 'book' in scholl ... 40 years back :wink:

On October 15, it will be on sale in 27 languages, btw.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 05:55 pm
J'adore Asterix!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 12:29 pm
Ce n'est pas la seule reason parçeque nous t'aimons, petitek - mais une des meilleures :wink:
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 03:23 pm
<curtsey>

J'ai besoin de pratiquer cette langue avec ma housemate(?) nouveau.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 10:54 pm
«colocataire» (?)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 11:27 pm
And finally the news had it made up in UK's papers as well:

Quote:
By Toutatis! Asterix still has the old magic

By Stephen Castle
Published: 24 September 2005

With the help of a little magic potion, they have routed thousands of Romans and eaten almost as many wild boar. Now the indefatigable Asterix and his sidekick Obelix are back in a new adventure with the release of their 33rd book.

Under the title Le Ciel lui Tombe sur la Tête, or Asterix and the Falling Sky, the latest book will go on sale on 14 October in 27 countries.

The announcement of the title and unveiling of the front cover was made this week in Brussels, the city where the surviving illustrator, 78-year-old Albert Uderzo, met the author René Goscinny in the 1950s. Goscinny died in 1977 and this is the eighth book to be released since. Little detail has emerged of what new humiliations the wily Asterix and rotund Obelix will inflict on the Roman Empire.

But the illustrator did hint that the new cover would have echoes of his first, Asterix the Gaul, published in 1961. The series has since sold 300 million.

Uderzo said he believes he is "the only one who could keep this up because it doesn't work out very well when other people take over". Anyone else would "inevitably change characters". "I don't want readers to be disappointed," he said, adding that this book would not be the last.

"I enjoy what I'm doing despite my age and as long as I can find a good idea I will make another album," he said. Little wonder. The last title, Asterix and the Actress, sold 10 million copies.

With the help of a little magic potion, they have routed thousands of Romans and eaten almost as many wild boar. Now the indefatigable Asterix and his sidekick Obelix are back in a new adventure with the release of their 33rd book.

Under the title Le Ciel lui Tombe sur la Tête, or Asterix and the Falling Sky, the latest book will go on sale on 14 October in 27 countries.

The announcement of the title and unveiling of the front cover was made this week in Brussels, the city where the surviving illustrator, 78-year-old Albert Uderzo, met the author René Goscinny in the 1950s. Goscinny died in 1977 and this is the eighth book to be released since. Little detail has emerged of what new humiliations the wily Asterix and rotund Obelix will inflict on the Roman Empire.
But the illustrator did hint that the new cover would have echoes of his first, Asterix the Gaul, published in 1961. The series has since sold 300 million.

Uderzo said he believes he is "the only one who could keep this up because it doesn't work out very well when other people take over". Anyone else would "inevitably change characters". "I don't want readers to be disappointed," he said, adding that this book would not be the last.

"I enjoy what I'm doing despite my age and as long as I can find a good idea I will make another album," he said. Little wonder. The last title, Asterix and the Actress, sold 10 million copies.
Source
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 11:12 pm
Hey, that's great news. I've always loved the Asterix series. Smile
0 Replies