Area of Octagonal Pyramid - hard maths question

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 05:23 am
basically, the question im asking is, how do i find the area of a octagonal pyramid that has curved edges, that is to say that the edges curve to a point.

Radius = 20cms
Height = 20cms

this isnt a homework question, its a question my friend who likes maths though of, and me and my other friend couldnt solve it, so now i ask you to help me solve it.

what i have tried is splitting the base up into 8 peices, that give me 8 interconnected issos triangles with base angles of 67.5 and a top angle of 45 degrees, from here i know that the sides of the triangle are 20cms because of the radius, although i need the base...

NOTE : i am trying to find the BASE from this part of it, i have the two side lengths of the triangle, but i need to find the base, i dont know how to do it , so go on and tell me how - i have tried very hard to do this but i cant derive a forumla from what i know.

i have NO CLUE on how to find the arclenght of the curve to the meeting point of the triangles.

so say that i find base length of the base triangle, then what? i then need to find the arc from the base length to the center most point so i can somehow find the goddamn area.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,676 • Replies: 4
No top replies

vinsan

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 06:04 am
No Need!
You do not need the height from top vertex to the base of a triangle to find its area

Use the Three Side formula instead

If a,b,c are the three sides of a triangle then the

Area of the triangle = Sqrt(s(s-a)(s-b) (s-c))

Where s = semiperimieter of the Triangle = (a+b+c) /2

Hope that helps
0 Replies

complex2

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 06:11 am
edit : hold on that doesnt help at all, i only have the SIDE LENGTHS of the triangle... i am looking for the base, can you plug it into your formula because i dont understand your one, its a bit complicated by the base angles of my triangle are 67.5 and 67.5 and the top angle is 45. therefore i SHOULD be able to find the base, but i cant.

and so i have to somehow find how the arclength of the arc.

if someone could just solve it and write out how they did it for me that would be REALLY helpful.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 06:56 am
Ok
Hey I didn't know you don't have all 3 sides

But one of the angle of the triangle is 45 Deg .... That solves your problem completely

Say you have Triangle ABC with Angle at vertex A= 45 Deg

AB = AC = 20

lets draw a perpendiular height segment angle B to side AC.
Say that intersects AC at Z

So we have new triangle ABZ a 45-45-90 triangle

Use Trignometric equations and find height AZ using side AB = 20 (Hypotenuse)

Now you have AZ (Height) and AC (Base).

So Use Base-Height formula and find area.
0 Replies

g day

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:02 am
I'd say there isn't enough information given - in particular how do the edges curve to a point? Do they curve like a circle, an ellisoid and parabola, a hyperbola, is the curve constant or not describle by a polynomic equation.

Without a description of the rate of the curve you problem can only have an upper bound and a lower bound. If you have the curve function - well that's a first or second year Uni maths problem at most unless the curve passes thru a discontinuity - then you have a 3rd year Uni maths problem.
0 Replies