Is Jimmy Buffet talented?

glitterbag

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:55 am
I really meant to say "recordings". Kind of dates you when you know what a record is, unless you are thinking of the criminal kind.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 08:19 am
glitterbag wrote:
Time out folks, get a grip. They let Brittany Spears make records and Madonna as well, AND PEOPLE BUY THEM. The upper case was just a dramatic tool, I am not trying to yell at anyone. I'd rather have my eyes gouged out rather than listen to Yanni, but if people want to listen what difference does it make. My Dad always said that God made more Horses asses than he made horses.
My take is, please don't tell me about the personal lives of performers, I just want to be entertained, I don't want to join a cult. And I don't have any recordings or books by Buffet, but occassionally I find my self humming Margaritaville. It means nothing, when I got out of Disney's "It's a Small World After All", I had to get a brain enema to get that frigging song out of my head. And I don't give a crap what Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise does or thinks, I only want to see them on the big screen. I run out of the room screaming when I hear them on talk shows.[/quote

Hilarious post.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 08:43 am
Gargamel wrote:
glitterbag wrote:
Time out folks, get a grip. They let Brittany Spears make records and Madonna as well, AND PEOPLE BUY THEM. The upper case was just a dramatic tool, I am not trying to yell at anyone. I'd rather have my eyes gouged out rather than listen to Yanni, but if people want to listen what difference does it make. My Dad always said that God made more Horses asses than he made horses.
My take is, please don't tell me about the personal lives of performers, I just want to be entertained, I don't want to join a cult. And I don't have any recordings or books by Buffet, but occassionally I find my self humming Margaritaville. It means nothing, when I got out of Disney's "It's a Small World After All", I had to get a brain enema to get that frigging song out of my head. And I don't give a crap what Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise does or thinks, I only want to see them on the big screen. I run out of the room screaming when I hear them on talk shows.

Hilarious post.

Yes, and so true.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 09:45 am
Thank you my little pals, I was expecting to take a hit on this one. Maybe Brittany and Madonna's fans don't know how to use a computer and that's why I got a pass. But really, if talent was actually important, how do you explain Rod Stewart. Anybody remember his spandex period (gagging while I type)?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 10:01 am
... don't forget George Thorogood.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 10:23 am
Back off Tico, you can't pry his version of "Bad to the Bone" or "Who do you love" out of my feisty Irish-American (almost red headed) hands. I love down and dirty music. But what the hell, maybe it's more of a chick-thing. On the other hand, he really doesn't have a good voice, but I love his music.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 10:27 am
glitterbag wrote:
Back off Tico, you can't pry his version of "Bad to the Bone" or "Who do you love" out of my feisty Irish-American (almost red headed) hands. I love down and dirty music. But what the hell, maybe it's more of a chick-thing. On the other hand, he really doesn't have a good voice, but I love his music.

I didn't say I didn't like his music ... but give me a few drinks and I sound pretty much like Thorogood.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 11:26 am
OOOhhh Baby, I love it when you talk dirty.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 01:55 pm
I like Marguritaville, but hate everything else I've heard by him.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 04:24 pm
Ed, How do you feel about "It's a small world after all"???? I'll send you 50 bucks if you can ride thru that torture chamber 5 times in a row on the same day.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 04:54 pm
I went to Disneyland in 1964 and heard It's a Small World. While initially not so bad, it tends to grate after a while. I remember it like yesterday all these years later.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 06:35 pm
Oh Lord, me too! We went in 79 and again in 82.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 08:28 am
"Songs you know by heart" -- I do. Most of them, anyway. Perhaps I'm too pedestrian!

Here's betting you read his memoirs...at least it was written that way as I recall....what a let down. Definitely not Scottish.

I liked his first two novels, though. Better than I had expected.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 11:25 am
Whose memoirs????
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 12:56 pm
Oh! Sorry glitterbag...Jimmy Buffet's.

Kicky mentioned that he thought Buffet's books were crap. I agreed about "A pirate looks at 50" (memoirs, journal style).

I recalled liking "Where is Joe Merchant," though.

I thought I'd read another one, too, but I just checked on line and don't recognize the others...so maybe not.

(it's a small, small, world. lalala)
0 Replies

blue1

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 03:53 am
Re: Is Jimmy Buffet talented?
kickycan wrote:
He's not a particularly gifted musician or songwriter, and his novels suck. Yes, I admit I read one of them. Just one. Piece of ****. Yet, he's been able to live the life of a beach bum because his banal music has struck a chord with a fairly large group of people who want to live like he does. But does that mean that he's particularly talented?

I want to be Jimmy Buffet. But just being able to communicate something through music about a lifestyle that people dream about...is that talent?

i think Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

tonyf

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 03:33 am
is buffet talented
who?

another US based singer with only regional popularity?

never heard of him.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 06:58 am
Re: is buffet talented
tonyf wrote:
who?

another US based singer with only regional popularity?

never heard of him.

Laughing

Exactly. "Margaritaville" was a one-hit wonder.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 07:19 am
Tico, what?

You don't think "Cheeseburger in Paradise" has merit?

Laughing

I can really belt out that one.

Tonyf. Where are you? I'd think that if you're in North America anywhere you should have at least heard of Jimmy.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 01:28 pm
Joeblow wrote:
Tico, what?

You don't think "Cheeseburger in Paradise" has merit?

Laughing

I can really belt out that one.

Tonyf. Where are you? I'd think that if you're in North America anywhere you should have at least heard of Jimmy.

Nah, I was being sarcastic, facetious, or something along those lines.

Heck, I was singing "Pirate Looks at 40" in the car this morning.
0 Replies