Car audio / Home theatre compatibility

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 10:34 pm
Is there any way to make a 12" sub that was in my car work like a sub for a home theatre?
I have the car audio amp that powered the sub, and I also have a home theatre amp.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 862 • Replies: 4
No top replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 12:45 am
Hmm, I don't know, but am interested in finding out......
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 05:14 pm
There isn't any easy practical way to do it. Your car amp is designed to run on 12V power and the Sub-out jack on your home amp is designed to feed into a sub woofer amp.

You'd either have to come up with a way to provide 12V to run your car amp or find a 120V home subwoofer amp. The latter option there would be the cheapest route. You can pick up a 70W subwoofer amp for around $50.00 (U.S.)
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 04:40 am
Not to disagee. But it seems to me candidone1 would like to take the speaker and connect it to his home theater amp.

Seems to me this depends on the Spec. of the speaker , not the car amp. So long as the speaker is within the driving range of the home theater amp. Why should there be a problem?

In both systems the speakers are passive. Which means they are not powered themselves. The limit for an amp (in this case the home theater amp) then becomes how many speakers with how many ohms that the amp can safey drive. Maybe I'm missing something obvious here.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 12:39 pm
Michael_S wrote:
Not to disagee. But it seems to me candidone1 would like to take the speaker and connect it to his home theater amp.

Agreed.

Quote:
Seems to me this depends on the Spec. of the speaker , not the car amp. So long as the speaker is within the driving range of the home theater amp. Why should there be a problem?

It is unlikely that the sub speaker is within the driving range of the home amp. Very few home theatre receivers have a sub amp built in. They have a sub-woofer pre-amp output (which isn't adequate to drive a speaker) that you need to connect to an external amp or sub-woofer/amp combination.

Quote:
In both systems the speakers are passive. Which means they are not powered themselves. The limit for an amp (in this case the home theater amp) then becomes how many speakers with how many ohms that the amp can safey drive. Maybe I'm missing something obvious here.

I assumed that he needs an external amp in the system to drive the speaker since that is generally the industry standard. You can't just connect the sub speaker to the front or rear speaker connections and expect to get the bass from it. The surround sound encoding will send the bass signal to the sub pre-amp output not the front, rear or center channels.
0 Replies