Picking up long range AM radio

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 09:23 pm
I'm looking for an AM radio that can pick up AM stations from over 400 miles away. I've heard good things about the CC Radio Plus. Does anybody know of a better radio or a better method for picking up AM stations that are far away? I don't know much about Short Wave radio, but I understand that that is a different band than AM radio and it's AM that I want to pick up.

Just an FYI, it's 810 AM KGO out of Sanfrancisco that I want to pick up here in Boise Idaho. I believe that that station is so powerfull that you can pick it up on most of the west coast. But it fades in an out here and I can only get it at night.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 19,447 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 09:34 pm
OK, so it's not your fillings picking up the signal...... just the usual voices in your head?

Don't want to burst your bubble, but the station in question is available on-line without resorting to Marconi-wireless-transmissions....

kgo810
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 09:37 pm
Oh, well that answers that.

My thought was that am reception depended more on the condition of the ionosphere that the receiver.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 10:37 pm
Well, I don't have internet at home and I can't get internet in my car, so a radio will have to do.

I was also afraid that it may be more of a matter of the signal being unavailable instead of just hard to pick up when it fades out. The radio is expensive so I wanted to know more before I spend that kind of money for one station.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 10:48 pm
Alright, I will attack this one sensibly...

Apparently you can purchase a HD Radio Receptor to enjoy a very high-quality, interference-free sound.

Failing that there are some DIY alternatives:

Home-made radio booster

Hope it works!
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 11:00 pm
That may be helpful, I will try it. I'd rather try a low tech solution first. They want over 200 for that little radio that i mentioned...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 01:55 am
Do a websearch for the GE Superadio III - beware; RadioShack sells a down-featured, lower performance version of this product, you want only the GE-branded version. Price should be well under US $100, more like $60-$75. There really isn't a better low-priced long-range AM radio to be had. A simple long-wire antenna can be attached to it, further enchancing its long-range capability. Out-of-the-box its a very good performer (though GE/Thomsen quality control can be iffy - make sure whovever you buy it from has a reasonable return-for-exchange policy). A competent electronics repair tech can easily and cheaply "tweak" the radio's AM "front end" to achieve maximum sensitivity. A good tweaking guide for the unit can be found HERE - its not something most folks who are not very comfortable with electronics fiddling should try, but its pretty much a snap for someone with the skills and equipment to do it.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 02:49 am
Thanks timberlandko, you seem to know a lot about long range reception. That radio looks like it got an excellent review at Amazon. I decided to buy a coil Ferrite AM antenna like the one someone mentioned in an above post. I probably paid too much for it seing as that I could have made it my self, but I've already ordered it. We'll see if it improves my reception with the radio that I already have when I get it. If not I'm leaning towards buying the radio that you've mentioned. It's a much better price than the CC Radio Plus.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 03:12 am
Well 'Red-Rover Come Over' - any success?
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 12:27 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
Well 'Red-Rover Come Over' - any success?

Some, I bought the twin coil Ferrite antenna from C-Crane. I can get stations from San-Francisco, Las Vegas, Spokane, Salt Lake City and I even tuned in an AM station from Wyoming. There are more News/Talk stations out there than I thought there were.

It works great at home, but not so great at work because of the metal roof I suppose.

I plan on buying that GE radio when I get a little more cash. C-Crane also recommends a dual antenna setup, one to filter out background noise and the second to import a clear signal. I don't know if it's just a sales pitch to sell more antennas, but I want to buy a second one anyway so I'll try it and report back here.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 07:25 am
That's great. If I ever decide this is what I want, I'll check back with you.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 08:23 am
I bought a Sony HX 210 about 4 years ago (I believe its the number) and its got all the bells and whistles including a series of tunable antennae. I use it to pick up weak stations because its sensetivity and selectivity is really good. It has digital dialing but a "fine tuning" capability that can razor in on a signal.
0 Replies