Google Search Invasion of Privacy

cobalt

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 07:41 pm
This was in the news a few years ago, but Google has added to the search ease for those you may rather not have access to your personal information...

Am posting a new thread on this subject with Google Searches because it has popped up again as a hot topic in another posting forum I belong to. Here is the important part: with the US patriot act and the spread of telemarketing and junk mail - google has now drastically reduced privacy for individuals! see this quote from a google page I found only when I asked google to remove my personal address and telephone number!!!!
Quote:
Google has added the convenience of US street address and phone number lookup to the information we provide through our search box. You'll see publicly listed phone numbers and addresses at the top of results pages for searches that contain specific kinds of keywords.

To find listings for a US business, type the business name into the Google search box, along with the city and state. Or type the business name and zip code. Entering the phone number with area code will also return a complete business listing.

To find listings for a US residence, type any of the following combinations into the Google search box:

first name (or first initial), last name, city (state is optional)
first name (or first initial), last name, state
first name (or first initial), last name, area code
first name (or first initial), last name, zip code
phone number, including area code
last name, city, state
last name, zip code
If your query results in business and residential listings, both categories will be listed for your convenience.

To have your residential or business phone and address information removed from the Google PhoneBook, click here.

I ran all the searches on a friend of mine who would rather not have this information so public, and every single search found her name, address and phone number!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,750 • Replies: 60
No top replies

cobalt

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 08:15 pm
Just noticed that another a2k member voted in the poll - but since it was the opposite of my vote, and there were ONLY 2 votes so far, I am most interested in hearing the comments of people who feel differently than I as well as those of similar mind. Please comment if possible and thanks!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 08:21 pm
i hardly know what to say actually, there is certainly a myth in the US that such a thing as privacy exists. It is my understanding that in the UK there are far more restrictive regulations about privacy but it seems that here corporate/government institutions know more about me than I do.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 08:32 pm
The problem is larger than google - it's more the people\business that post the information in an unsecure area in my opinion. IMO don't blame Google.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 08:37 pm
On these searches the reality is that they search the web with spiders\worms (something like that) put info in a index and link back to it. There's terabytes of stuff stored out there on this global massive thing we call the net. If you recall I was talking about the Mrs when I found her name out there, they removed her from the file but the indexes still hold her name out there in cyberspace.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 08:43 pm
Interesting points!

I am thinking that a for-profit business like Google is NOT getting the information 'free' - in fact, they pay a third-party research firm to supply the information and then the Google labs churn out the search formulas. (This is direct information from Google, BTW.)

The information is primarily coming from public documents such as telephone books, tax records, property documents, etc. People who are VERY careful with their private phone numbers and addresses are being publicized in many places without their knowlege. I am not listed (in this particular search within Google) ONLY because I use a cellphone number that is private. There also seems to be a higher correlation of home ownership and telephone numbers associated to that address.

If I was a telemarketer or smart cookie advertising exec I would put my random number generating programs to work and come up with a free list of thousands of "good" addresses to exploit...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 09:06 am
My opinion: Privacy is a thing of the past. I hate the fact that it is, but unless you are willing to go to extremes -- chances are you will not be able to protect your personal privacy from this point on.

I have personal need to find something of value in everthing that happens in or around my life. I have thought this thing over for several hours now -- and I'm stumped. Can't think of the silver lining -- if there is one.

If anyone else comes up with a candidate for "what is good about this" please share it. In the meantime, I'll keep thinking.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 10:14 am
Frank - I am hoping you did not mean a silver lining about THIS particular topic! I can see nothing but bad consequences. If a person has just a SCRAP of information about you, they can use it to parlay a great deal of information. This is how identity theft has become a serious global issue.

In another thread, a poster remarked with an "insider view" that his company wthich recycled shredded documents found a bale of non-shredded credit card receipts from vendors. If one had such a receipt, the address and the phone, the correct name, well - then it is easy from there to acquire SS#, local bank, Library card, etc. information.

Online genealogy resources can quickly find for you the maiden name and other family names, birthdates, and in the case of someone with a death certificate, that person's SS#! I am no pro but I would wager that within 1 hour I could acquire enough information to proceed in a despicable action - whether a personal contact with that person or putting that person at risk.

Now, this surely is condoned by the US Patriot Act, right? After all, if one wants to preserve as much privacy as possible, why that would be suspicious. And, I've never forgotten this famous quote from Bush Sr."
Quote:
If a person is a supect, that is because they are guilty. They would not BE a suspect unless they were guilty."
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 10:53 am
Google provides an indexing service. Google disseminates information only by providing access to it and a way to find it. Google is not the entity that is divulging anyone's addresses or other information.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 10:58 am
Goodness,did Bush Sr. say that?
Proof that one does not need any sort of intellect to become the President of the U.S.of A.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 11:00 am
I did a Google search yesterday and guess what? I found my name and a post that I had put on A2K.

As far as phone #s are concerned, you have to have a listed phone. Wait till Google starts posting your E-mail address!!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 11:01 am
Is Google providing this kind of info for people with unlisted numbers? If it's info that's already available in phone books, then I can't get too alarmed. Could someone clarify this point?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 11:03 am
Are you listed on Google?

A few years ago, I found my whole class listed on Google. No one knows how it ended up there.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 11:24 am
New Haven, not sure what you mean re am I listed in Google. If I enter my name, there are references to things I've written that exist on the web. And now, I just typed my phone number and, yes, it found my name and address. But I'm listed in the book, so I'm not too surprised.

In other words, it seems as though references to me that could be found through other means can be found via Google. Should I be alarmed? I don't think so...
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 11:29 am
Although the breadth of Google is greater, long before the Internet existed you could go to just about any library and find national and international phone books, reverse phone books, and addresses on microfiche that could provide you with the same information.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 11:31 am
Google does not create content, Google indexes content. If your class was "listed" on Google it means Google found something on the internet and added it to it's index. The responsibility of the perceived breach of privacy rests with the persons responsible for putting the information there. Even though Google has no responsibility for the divulging of the information they will usually respond to reasonable requests to remobe a page from their listings.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 12:54 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Google provides an indexing service. Google disseminates information only by providing access to it and a way to find it. Google is not the entity that is divulging anyone's addresses or other information.

Craven: I think that you are splitting hairs here. As an entity / a business that makes money, in particular: Google pays for a third-party provider to supply Google with the bulk information. This is directly from Google for my reference! THEN Google Labs applies formulas to access and output the information GOOGLE chooses to output. This is by conscious plan to make both viewers, and advertisers, as well as potential sponsors aware of their "power" and ability to provide such information. When Google returns a result to a search that it has facilitated, yes, Google IS divulging information. One cannot maintain that Google is a disinterested party in this feature.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 01:01 pm
The seach engine that I use searches all these:
MSN Teoma AltaVista Openfind Northern Light Fast WISEnut SearchEdu Open Directory Thunderstone Yahoo Google Yahoo
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 01:07 pm
Quote:

The information is primarily coming from public documents such as telephone books, tax records, property documents, etc. People who are VERY careful with their private phone numbers and addresses are being publicized in many places without their knowlege. I am not listed (in this particular search within Google) ONLY because I use a cellphone number that is private. There also seems to be a higher correlation of home ownership and telephone numbers associated to that address.

As one who is active online in both public and private settings, I am well aware that posts I've made in public sites and on public webpages are subject to "re-publishing" elsewhere on the Net. BUT, I distinctly make selections as to how and why and where I may post any identifiers that will lead back to me, personally if I choose to allow it. That is one reason I use over 12 email addresses and have about 16 websites and blogs. I have it set up that using my 'tracking' and referrer methods, Sam Spade, etc. I can pretty often find out where the identity information has come from. Especially in the use of emails I have become more careful and certainly in the public websites.

In general I don't think people want to have their personal HOME phone number and full residential address AND a map link to their home available to any casual or predatory viewer. While "Public Records" are available to track down much of the information, this requires time and effort that is not often paid-back in value to the searcher unless the searcher has a urgent reason to do this. But the Google facility now allows expedient and potential DIRECT contact with the subject! Keep in mind that there are many programs available for automatic number generators, like telemarketers use. These can easily be applied with macro-run programs to tap into Google's facilitated residential listings with ease.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 01:07 pm
I never said Google is disinterested, simply that GOOGLE DOES NOT CREATE CONTENT. It indexes content that has already been created and already divulged. Because of their visibility many complain about Google while ignoring that they are not responsible for divulging information.

Look, Google lists only public numbers and even if your number is already divulged elsewhere and you are worried about Google you can just click here to ask them to remove it.

I really don't think I'm splitting hairs, I just think that much of the paranoia about privacy and Google is unwarranted. If you don't want a publicly listed number simply don't list it. If you do not prevent it from being publically listed yet still don't like the idea of Google indexing the public records simply ask them not to.

Once again, the link to Google's page to request removal from their index.
0 Replies