The Vikram Seth fan club!

msolga

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 05:45 pm
Hello Tico, & welcome to the V.K. fan club! (as you can see, a small & exceptionally discerning group!)

Lata's "unsuitable boy" was Kabir. What actually happened to him? You know, I'm rather unclear on that. (It's been such a long time since I read the book!) I have this idea that he accepted Lata's decision with deep regret & proceeded (as we all do) to just go on with his life, saddened & very disappointed. But life would still go on .....

Do others here have a better recollection?

You know, to refresh my memory, I did a bit of a Vikram surf just now ... & stumbled upon this list of very demanding questions about A Suitable Boy. I realized that so many of the important issues & details had become rather hazy. Just check these out, everyone, & see how many are still clear to you. Me, I suspect I'll have to take a month off work & read the book again! Laughing :

Questions for Discussion

* Consider Maan Kapoor's love for Saeeda Bai, and that of Lata Mehra's for Kabir Durrani. Why are these relationships highly unsuitable? In what ways do Lata's three suitors, Kabir, Amit and Haresh, represent three vastly different aspects of love, and equally different options for her future? Did Lata have a choice when she accepted Haresh Khanna, a man "as solid as a pair of Goodyear Welted shoes"? How does the novel navigate the conflict between culturally conservative 50s India and the young people trying to break free of the existing system without dishonoring their parents?

* What criteria does Rupa Mehra use to assess potential prospects for Lata? How does each of the seven candidates compiled by Kalpana Gaur fare? Were you surprised by her prejudices? How do Lata and her mother eventually come to agree upon the same candidate?

* The stampede at Pul Mela leaves Dipankar Chatterji's search for, "great concepts and great gods" severely shaken. "Baba, how do you explain all this?" he asks a guru, who mildly replies, "I think there was a flaw in the administrative arrangements." Do you think the guru speaks for the author at that moment? How is religion portrayed in A Suitable Boy?

* Two political-historical events figure prominently in A Suitable Boy: the Zamindari Abolition Act, whereby all feudal land-holdings were dissolved, and the general elections held in 1952, the largest democratic election ever held in the world at the time. How do these two events symbolize the transformation of India into a modern nation?

* Consider the central dialectic of the novel: the tension between established social order and the centrifugal forces that threaten to fragment that order. What disruptive forces did the old social structure of Rajas and Zamindars face? From landowners faking records to electioneering misdeeds, what other forces attempt to fragment the new social order? Is there an overriding philosophy in the novel that makes constant turmoil bearable? Does traditional, neglected old Mrs. Kapoor's faith, which does not undermine other creeds, provide a template for harmony?

* Maan Kapoor thinks that for his own sake, Rasheed must "see the world with all its evil in a more tolerant light. It was not true that one could change everything through effort and vehemence and will. The stars maintained their courses despite his madness, and the village world moved on as before, swerving only very slightly to avoid him." How does this theme, of cosmic indifference to the desires of man, echo throughout the novel? In what manner does Rasheed exemplify of the futility of assuming otherwise?

* Although Gandhi passed a constitutional provision abolishing untouchability, the results were more symbolic than practical. However, the untouchable shoemaker, Jagat Ram believes "that the victory for its formulation lay less with Mahatma Gandhi, who rarely concerned himself with such legalisms, than with quite another - and equally courageous - man." Who does Jagat Ram believe in? How does this character break taboos by refusing to be cowed by social proprieties, and simply following his innate decency? Why is this method for social change more effective than Rasheed's?

* How would you describe the friendship between Maan Kapoor and Firoz Khan? Are there signs that they may be more than friends? Do they represent hope for amicable relations between differing religions? How does Maan's evolution from callow youth to a thoughtful, repentant adult embody the notion that salvation lies in the private world of marriage and family?

* Could the Raja of Marh's attempt to raise the Shiva-linga be viewed as a metaphor? In a chapter that includes a tragic misunderstanding between Lata and Kabir, the self-serving machinations of Professor Mishra, Waris Khan's slanderous election posters, and Mahesh Kapoor's crushing defeat, what is the significance of the last sentence - "the Shiva-linga rested on the bed of the Ganga once more, the turbid waters passing over it, its bloodstains slowly washed away?"

* How does the author's use of a third-person, fully-omniscient narrator successfully convey an intricately variegated, yet determinedly un-exotic, Indian reality? Consider the author's wry, affectionate, self-deprecating poetic word of thanks to the reader. Is it possible to extrapolate the author's point of view from the style and tone of these lines of verse?

http://www.harpercollins.com/global_scripts/product_catalog/book_xml.asp?isbn=0060786523&tc=rg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 07:57 am
Did the literary lunch thing today & I must say it was very interesting! (Never having been to one of these affairs before & not knowing what to expect ....)
Vikram is thoroughly charming! Intelligent, funny, insightful, and, and and .... Very Happy

He talked quite a bit about his uncle & aunt (the subjects of Two Lives), read a few passages from the book, told us he's just discovered that he had gout (!) and couldn't drink anymore Oz red wines .... then proceeded to sip a glass of red throughout this talk. I was a bit disappointed that many of the questions from the audience tended to be about things like his views on India & China & their importance in the future, obscure questions about music, etc .... I would have loved for him to have spoken about his writing more.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 10:32 am
Did you ask anything? ;-)

Sounds wonderful! I have "Two Lives" right here on my "to be read" shelf, haven't gotten to it yet. Looks good, though I'm a bit resistant to the non-fiction aspect. He's such a good storyteller I'm sure it will be interesting, anyway.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 06:10 pm
No, soz, I was so awed & gobsmacked by being in the very same room with Vikram that I was rendered speechless! Laughing Seriously, he is a delightful man, quite tiny, very intelligent & animated. And charming, charming, charming! <sigh> Laughing

Actually, he gave such lengthy & thoughtful answers to the few questions that there was time to ask, that by the time I thought I'd like to ask one (say, about the Golden Gate, or A Suitable Boy ...) the session was over. At one point (speaking about Two Lives) he talked of being so affected by what had happened to his ("adopted" German) aunt, especially, that for years he had a deep revulsion to all things German. The Language, the culture, anything to do with Germans & Germany! So for ages the discussion was diverted to considering lasting German & Jewish legacies & concerns. (An elderly couple who shared the table of 8 that my friend and I were seated at were obviously German & had tears in their eyes during this part of the discussion. The pain lingers, obviously.) He said that he had now fully recovered from this debilitating revulsion, but for years it was a very powerful thing that he couldn't control.
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 10:34 pm
Wow!! that must have been a nice literay lunch...just saw this update. Yes, such a charming and articulate man....I've seen him only on TV though...
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 10:47 pm
Hi Olga!

I have never ever read Vikram Seth but still I want to be a member of this club.

Though recently, I tried to get A suitable boy from the college library but couldn't as someone else had grabbed it and...what the heck, the library houses only a single copy( the librarian told me)! Mad

And besides, A suitable boy mentions my home city, Kanpur.

And yeah, Vikram and I share the same nationality!

What esle......?

I think all the above have compensated my never having read Vikram Seth. Do I qualify?

Hope to read him soon. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 06:57 am
I love these literary discussions that dwell on the works of an artist with whom Im totally unfamiliar. I hope you guys dont mind me just listening in and , while Im here, a question.

I find myself drawn to books that are light on narrative but heavy on dialogue between the characters. It offers so much insight into their minds when they have offhand discussions about very routine matters. Where would you put V Seth on that scale ? Is he a dialogue rich writer or does he lean to narrative.

An example for me is Larry McMurtry , whose narrative is used sparsely and only sets up the dialogue, whereas the dialogue rules.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 03:54 am
Hello, spider & sakhi!

Yes, yes, you should both read some Vikram! Very Happy Not just because he is Indian & writes so eloquently about Indian concerns. But because, really, he is a sort of citizen of the world, who is just as comfortable in California, London, Vienna or Venice! He has a wonderful sense of place, no matter which city he sets his characters in. And most importantly, he has a very sympathetic understanding of what makes human beings tick as they go about their lives .... their hopes, dreams & disappointments.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 04:19 am
farmerman wrote:
I love these literary discussions that dwell on the works of an artist with whom Im totally unfamiliar. I hope you guys dont mind me just listening in and , while Im here, a question.

Absolutely not, farmer! You are most welcome, though this conversation flows in fits & bursts. It may stop here, or continue .... No way of telling ...

farmerman wrote:
I find myself drawn to books that are light on narrative but heavy on dialogue between the characters. It offers so much insight into their minds when they have offhand discussions about very routine matters. Where would you put V Seth on that scale ? Is he a dialogue rich writer or does he lean to narrative.

An example for me is Larry McMurtry , whose narrative is used sparsely and only sets up the dialogue, whereas the dialogue rules.

I know what you mean, farmer, I'm drawn to character-driven fiction to. What people say (or don't say to each other) ... how they respond to each other. What you learn about them directly as a result of their interactions. Vikram Seth is big on dialogue (& place, also, as you might have gathered from my previous post.) I also like the way he often appears to speak directly to the reader & acknowledges their presence & interest in what is happening to his characters.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 07:43 am
I got into the Alexander McAul Smith books (about the Number One Lady's Detective agency) by having some people rave on about these works. SO I guess Ill try to find one of Seths works at our library
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 08:33 am
I've only read A Suitable Boy but loved it. An amazing broad sweep of India and insight into the everyday lives and thoughts of a wide range of people from the poorest to the wealthy, in town and country and different castes and religions. Absolutely absorbing, He's like Dorothy Dunnett in his ability to understand all these utterly different characters and their backgrounds and weave a deep knowledge of politics through the story.

Yes, the ending was disappointing but right - Lata wouldn't have been happy alienating her family as it was such a deep part of her culture. She'd live a perfectly content, if not exciting, life.

Sometimes he puts things so poetically and succinctly, as when Saida Bhai answered a remark about the tree of privilege (the landlords losing their land) being cut down - she said something like 'but what of the monkeys and the birds in the branches?' - and of course she is one. Without their fortunes her way of life and music would have no patrons and will end. The pathos in that simple response is beautifully done.

I too loved the Number One Ladies Detective Agency - another book with a wonderful insight into another culture and other lives and such fun.

..... and someone please read Dorothy Dunnett!
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 09:06 am
Number One Ladies Detective Agency and A Suitable Boy -- on one hand it's difficult to imagine 2 more different books. One so brief and economical in language and plot, the other so rich and layered. And yet, when I think about it a bit, I realize that they both have great dialog, sense of place (nod to msolga), and empathy.

I also can't believe that you've randomly picked 2 books that I've actually read! Cool

Dorothy Dunnett? Did someone say Dorothy Dunnett?! I LOVE her books. I've read the complete Lymond and Niccolo series several times. Each time I find new things in them. I think I've read all the Johnson Johnson mysteries. And I have Morrison's The Dorothy Dunnett Companion (although it's the 1st volume -- making note to self to get the second volume).
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 09:36 am
at last! someone else who loves Dorothy Dunnett Very Happy , She's amazing isn't she? There's also King Hereafter about Macbeth. The Johnson Johnson ones are much lighter but still have that piercing intelligence behind them. I loved the ending to the Niccolo series where you realised that Van der Poel ?sp/St Pol became Semple and Niccolo is Lymonds ancestor.

I think these 3 authors have that empathy, that getting under the skin of the various characters and looking at life from their viewpoint and talking their language.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 09:48 am
Seth's dialogue is absolutely one of his strengths. It's been a while since I read the book and details have faded (it may be time for me to read it again! o joy!) but one of the things I loved was a character presumably based on Seth (someone's brother?) who rhymed willy-nilly. Seth has written an entire book in verse, but this was a more natural and euphoria-inducing outlet.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:06 pm
The novel in verse soz refers to is called The Golden Gate. It's wonderful! Set in San Francisco (obviously) & totally engrossing, which surprised me enormously, never having read a novel written completely in verse before! Surprised It might be a good starting point for you if you're interested, farmer. (it's short!) Unlike A Suitable Boy, which is marvellous, but 1349 pages long! You'd need to take a serious amount of time off work, neglect your family & your animals dreadfully to get through it in a reasonable period of time, I'm afraid! :wink:

Vivian! Another Suitable Boy fan! Why am I not surprised! Very Happy

Something I absolutely need to know: Who is Dorothy Dunnett & why has she escaped my radar? Discerning folk seem to think she's terrific! Ditto Alexander McAul Smith. Recommend away! I'm always open to new reading adventures!
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:28 pm
I think it took me a whole summer to read A Suitable Boy. But it's so rich in characters and interwoven plots that I felt sad when it ended -- like leaving a some place at the end of a great vacation. On the one hand I'm glad Seth is not the type of author to go for a sequel, but if he did write one, I'd buy it!

(Dunnett wrote the best historical fiction that I've ever read. Some might call it romance, because her heroes are dashing, brilliant swashbucklers. But her depth of socio-economic and political scholarship is amazingly accurate. She wrote without any sentimentality, and doesn't spare her readers' minds. I think you'll enjoy the story, as well as get a better understanding of the Late Rennaissance than any text book can give. And there's nothing coy about her heroines either.)
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:42 pm
Tico wrote:
I think it took me a whole summer to read A Suitable Boy. But it's so rich in characters and interwoven plots that I felt sad when it ended -- like leaving a some place at the end of a great vacation. [/i]

Yes, it's like that. And I think I took about 6 months to read it Smile...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 06:06 am
Thanks for telling me a bit about Dorothy Dunnett, Tico!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 12:15 pm
Tico is spot on with her description of Dorothy Dunnett - her hero is flawed though and not over perfect. The Game of Kings (first book of the Lymond series - 6 thick books of intense and concentrated reading) starts with Lymond arriving back in Scotland, an outlaw, causing mayhem at a smugglers house as he uses the secret cellars for his re-entry to Edinburgh, robbing a gathering of his mother and her friends, setting fire to her castle and then leading a band of outlaws. Your reaction is surely this can't be the hero????? acid tongued, witty, too clever for his own good and stubborn - but WOW!!!!!!!!

It is a romance ... but not in the common way, it takes those 6 books before hero and heroine get together.

Her research and knowledge of life at the time, political, court, the poor, their language and pattern of speech etc etc are wonderful. They'd make superb films on the scale of Lord of the Rings. Her descriptions are vivid and cinematic but so concise and the conversations can be electric! So much being said behind what is apparently said. You really need your wits about you when reading and no skimming lines or paragraphs or you are lost! The story gallops along and has loads of interwoven storylines and a huge cast of characters. She doesn't over explain but makes you think things through.

The Niccolo series is set earlier. Macbeth tells the 'true' story of Macbeth rather than the Shakespearean story. A tough era - Macbeth was born Thorfinn and the Scandanavian heritage is paramount. Again her political understanding is immense as he juggles the overlordship of England and Scandanavia.

The Johnson/Dolly series are an altogether lighter affair but really enjoyable as her sharp intelligence is still there. Johnson Johnson is a painter with a yacht called Dolly, he's a spy for British Intelligence.

I'm sure you'd enjoy her work, though you may have to seek it out pre-loved as I think they are out of print now - she died a couple of years ago.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 07:03 am
Thanks very much for such a detailed description, Vivien. Yes, I'll cheep out the "D" shelves when next in my favourite pre-loved book shop!
0 Replies