The Vikram Seth fan club!

sakhi

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 02:01 am
Beastly Tales from Here and There - that's the title of the book. Do tell me how you liked it Smile

Book description: "From the impish to the brilliantly comic, Vikram Seth's animal fables in verse can (like Diwali sweets) be enjoyed by young and old alike. Familiar characters in a new and magical form, such as the greedy crocodile who was outwitted by the monkey or the steady tortoise who out-ran the hare, here take their place beside a newly minted gallery of characters and creatures who are quirky, comical and always fun. Of the ten fables told here, two come from India, two from China, two from Greece, two from the Ukraine, and two, as the author puts it, 'came directly to me from the land of Gup' "
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 06:54 am
Oh, that's sounds like fun, chinmayee_s! Very Happy Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see if I can track it down.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 07:13 am
I have it, it's lovely! Really nice illustrations, too, from an unexpected quarter though I can't remember who -- Ravi Shankar, maybe?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:04 am
Recommendation #2! This must be good. Thanks, soz.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:07 am
What I love about Seth is his virtuosity, his facility, how he makes these light and lovely and sweet rhymes with apparently no effort, and this book shows that off well. It's slight, but it's meant to be.

It was also what I thought "An Equal Music" suffered from, a lack of that whole aspect of his writing.

Looking forward to the next one...!
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 04:51 am
sozobe wrote:
I have it, it's lovely! Really nice illustrations, too, from an unexpected quarter though I can't remember who -- Ravi Shankar, maybe?

Yes, it's Ravi Shankar. Well-known Indian cartoonist and, i think, he's also the senior editor of "India Today".....Really nice illustrations Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:35 am
msolga wrote:
Here's an interview with seth about An Equal Music:

http://www.randomhouse.com/boldtype/0599/seth/interview.html

Msolga, I really liked An Equal Music...
I'm in the club.

On Desmond Tutu and Nelson Mandela threads, I missed them..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:39 am
Three quotes from me on An Equal Music -

I'm reading Vikram Seth's An Equal Music. I almost don't care about the story line - the writing is so good.

I'm on page 98 now of An Equal Music, am still enthralled.

I finished An Equal Music. It made sense to me, I will remember it - it was an emotive expression of many characters feelings over a period of time, and continuously interesting. I loved the writing ...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:42 am
A-ha:

Quote:
BT: In An Equal Music, Julia is going deaf. Did you do any research to portray the complicated dilemma of deafness for a musician?

VS: I did meet a musician--a percussionist--who has been quite profoundly deaf for a number of years. She has built a wonderful career and given a lot of pleasure through her music. The first time I met her--this was in the early stages of the novel--I didn't know she was deaf. We met over lunch. She looked directly at my face quite a bit, which I thought was quite charming, and we had a very animated discussion. Afterwards, someone told me she was deaf. I was startled. She didn't have a deaf person's 'voice.' She talked without hesitation, even though the room wasn't very well lit. She couldn't be deaf. How can a musician be deaf? After I decided to bring Julia's deafness into the novel, I found a number of musicians who were quite hard of hearing. I also interviewed doctors about deafness, so that the symptoms were correct and the pacing of the onset of the disease was correct. And I took lip reading classes for thirteen weeks. That doesn't mean I can 'speak' like a deaf person. But I have got a better understanding of how people who can't cope through their ears cope through their eyes and, in the case of musicians, also through their mind's ear.

That'd be Evelyn Glennie. Not so deaf as all that. From her website, for example:

Quote:
With no other sound interfering, Evelyn can usually hear someone speaking although she cannot understand them without the additional input of lip-reading.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:44 am
Ooo for a moment I thought I could join, but it turned out I was confused: it was Vikram Chandra I read a collection of short stories of, and impressed I was.

Vikram Chandra: Love and Longing in Bombay
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:45 am
I liked it fine, and I think I would have liked it much more if it hadn't happened to have so much to do with something quite close to home, and didn't get so many details wrong thereof. Just too jarring, ruined the spell.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:46 am
Oh, he's nice too!

"Red Earth and Pouring Rain" is another of his.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 06:12 am
OK, so officially there are now four V.S. fans at A2K! With nimh an "almost". Not bad, not too bad .... Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 06:58 am
I've just bought Vikram's Two Lives. I'll report back as I read it. Anyone else read it?

Interview with V.S. re Two Lives:
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/arts/booktalk/stories/s1500395.htm
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 11:53 pm
No, but i heard a lot about it...saw the interviews on ourTV channels

Please give us your report as soon as you finish Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 12:33 am
chinmayee_s wrote:
No, but i heard a lot about it...saw the interviews on ourTV channels

Please give us your report as soon as you finish Smile

Will do, chinmayee_s. Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 07:50 am
Guess what? On Tuesday I'll be attending a Vikram Seth "literary lunch"! He's in Oz at the moment to promote Two Lives. I've never been to one of these luncheon affairs before, so I'm hoping it's not too stuffy an atmosphere ... but I'll most certainly be interested in hearing what he has to say! I'll report back, after the event!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 07:58 am
<and get a photo taken with him ... and post it!>
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 07:49 pm
ehBeth wrote:
<and get a photo taken with him ... and post it!>

Yes, ehBeth?:

"Just stand over here, Vikram. And you might just put your arm around me while you're at it. Smile. Look happy!"

Uh ... dunno about that! Laughing

But I will consider photographing him. If it doesn't seem too intrusive, mind!
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 11:40 pm
I've also read and loved A Suitable Boy. And like you, I remember feeling like I could've read it forever. But that was some time ago and I've forgotten so much (until these posts remind me). All my books are still in their boxes from my move so I can't refer to it ~ what was the name of Lata's unsuitable boy, the Muslim, and what happened to him?

I've also recommended it to a number of friends ~ those that read it, loved it (but unfortunately they're not A2K members).
0 Replies