TV Trivia

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 10:53 am
Oh, jeez, you're right, Diane. I must have been confusing Paladin with the epic film about the end of the Civil War. Watched them both at an impressionable age...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 11:31 am
Re: Who's old enough here to remember this guy?
Reyn wrote:
And what popular show did he play in?

http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/tv/children/westerns/paladin.jpg

see, this is MY type of man!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 12:11 pm
Two bits of trivia: Boone is a descendant of Daniel Boone, and Gene Roddenberry was a writer on that show.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 12:12 pm
Re: Who's old enough here to remember this guy?
Chai Tea wrote:
Reyn wrote:
And what popular show did he play in?

http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/tv/children/westerns/paladin.jpg

see, this is MY type of man!

What is it about him that you like?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 12:21 pm
Interesting trivia, Brandon.

Hey, d'art. Here's the theme for your TV made from a book show:

Ufo Gone With The Knight

Honey kick your shoes off now
And stay another night
Let's not talk too seriously
We don't wanna fight
Now I don't care about your reputation
Or how you got it made

All I want is for you to stay
Don't want a charade

*and the lights go down
Who you with tonight
It ain't so easy holding on
Everything you seem to do babe
Just turns out so wrong

You're gone in the night
You're gone in the night
You're gone in the night

People try to tell you now
About responsibilities
Those married-men do's and don'ts
How it ought to be
But I don't care what they say
Don't wanna hear what's true
As long as you want me baby
You know I need you

(repeat*)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 12:22 pm
long and lanky

prominent nose

mature

sharp eyes

lean face

sharp eyes

cool exterior

fearless

self assured

protective

bad!

ladies love outlaws, don't you know that?

He looks very much like my husband.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 12:52 pm
I remember Richard Boone playing heavies in such movies as
HOMBRE-Where Boone and his band of brigands try to steal money from a group of travellers holed up in a mine shack. Paul Newman played the lea.

THE SHOOTIST-He was a minor cast member whose brother had been shot by John Wayne, who in the movie, dying of cancer, wanted to settle some scores before he died.

I think that Boone was a very good heavy.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 01:02 pm
He also played in another TV series, "Hec Ramsey" (this from the Museum of Broadcasting Communications web site):

In 1971 Boone was offered the lead role in Universal TV/Mark VII's Hec Ramsey (1972-74) series (two seasons as one of four rotating 90-minute TV-movies). The program, about a grizzled turn-of-the-century lawman with a fascination for the new science of criminology, was in its way, perhaps, a gentle monument to Boone's earlier TV performances: Hec Ramsey was Paladin grown older, with an accumulation of artfulness and astutness along with a stockpile of barely contained impatience.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 04:28 pm
Richard Boone played in his first series, Medic, with real doctors - it was sort of a medical knockoff of Dragnet in some respects.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 04:33 pm
http://www.hgwt.com/hgwt12old.htm
At this sight is an unknown episode of Have Gun Will Travel. In it, Palladin meets the Rifleman.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 04:50 pm
I always liked Marshall Dillon too. He never claimed to be the fastest draw (quite the contrary) and he did the ugly with Miss Kitty for years, everyone knew it, and yet no one ever tried to impeach him. What a guy.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 05:31 pm
MArshal Dillon always reminded me of a Western version of Fred Gwyne. Fred Gwyne, the gentle and rather dim Frankenstein monster in the Adams Family Comedy.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 05:49 pm
Hey, great stuff, guys! I like the discussion so far on this thread.

I'm going to change the title of this topic to "TV Trivia", so we can discuss any shows. Very Happy
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 05:59 pm
Okay, so who here remembers Rin Tin Tin?

http://www.collectinghollywood.com/LAaker2.jpg

And Rusty, as played by Lee Aaker?

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/ReynN/leeaaker.jpg

Here is what he looks like now. Very Happy
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 06:12 pm
Trivia? You want trivia? I'll give you trivia.

Richard Boone also played Sam Houston in the John Wayne version of Remember the Alamo. I think he is in exactly one scene of that dreadful movie.

Does anyone realize that "Have Gun, Will Travel" was originally intended as a spoof of TV westerns? The bit with the business card, Paladin's extreme urbaneness and sophistication -- all were intended as takeoffs on Western super-heroes. Even being dressed all in black had a kind of humor in it. And, y'know what happened? Not a single viewer got it. So, after a few episodes, the shows creators started writing the sctrpits straight.

And, speakinf of people dressed all in black, does anyone remember the Durango Kid movies, starring Charles Starrett? Starrett never did his own stunts. Having been born and raised in Athol, MA, he wasn't all that athletic or that good a horseman. So a stuntman body double, who later became a TV star in his own right, became the Starrett character (the Durango Kid) when the black clothes and the black bandana mask went on. I'm sure somebody here knows who that was because I'ce asked this question before on other trivia threads.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:41 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Does anyone realize that "Have Gun, Will Travel" was originally intended as a spoof of TV westerns? The bit with the business card, Paladin's extreme urbaneness and sophistication -- all were intended as takeoffs on Western super-heroes. Even being dressed all in black had a kind of humor in it. And, y'know what happened? Not a single viewer got it. So, after a few episodes, the shows creators started writing the sctrpits straight.

Sources, sources, please! Laughing I'd like to read about that.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 02:29 pm
http://www.imdb.com/

(you have to know what you're looking for, of course. Smile And isn't looking it up when answering trivia questions cheating? Smile )
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 03:59 pm
Interesting that, the idea the "HGWT" was originally meant as a spoof. It makes sense, as Merry Andrew says: the all-black outfit, the hero's foppishness when in San Francisco, his taste in fine food, wine and women--no other Western hero was remotely like that at the time...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 06:40 pm
Even the name -- Palladin -- is silly. "A knight without armor," as the theme song says. Think about it. And does anyone remember what Palladin's first name was?

His first name was Wire. It plainly says on his business card "Wire Palladin, San Francisco." Smile
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 10:25 am
One of the definitions of "paladin" in the Oxford Modern English Dictionary is "a knight errant; a champion." That would seem to suit our hero...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » TV Trivia
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 06:30:20