Researching Scintific Entities

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 04:51 pm
I noticed that some Science Magazines have websites, such as Popular Science and Scintific American. Sometimes these magazines will have intersting eye-poppomg artciles about such things as new cosmic bodies, magnetars and geodynamos. I'm writing for a comic book, so where are good places to look to get ideas about scintific entities?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,035 • Replies: 12
No top replies

raprap

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 07:10 pm
An intelligent man's guide to Science--Isaac Asimov

About 30 years old, but highly literate and a joy of a read.

Scientific American tends more toward a dedicated science reader with a certain inherent knowledge of science. Popular Science, is flash and gee willikers and tends to go to engineering and promotion of new products. Discovery isn't a bad popular science journal and is more visual and 'lighter' than Scientific American. Nature goes to biology but is understandable and a decent read. But I'd start with the Asimov tome before I'd delve into any particular journal--just for the lay knowledge of science.

Rap
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 11:34 am
What publication should I look at for information about new chemical substances? And math-related info/tidbits?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 11:34 am
What publication should I look at for information about new chemical substances? And math-related info/tidbits?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 02:26 pm
Where should I look to research sci-fi ideas?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 04:34 pm
Is informatoin about the articles they feature in those periodicals you listed featured at each magazine's website?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 01:25 pm
I've read: The Elegant Universe, Asimov's White Holes, a number of books about Hawking and by Hawking about the space-time continuum and time dilations. Do you have any suggestions for a more advanced read?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 02:12 pm
JG-

Is this an attempt to apply business principles to science?I'd start with a User's Guide.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 02:16 pm
No, this is something to base some science fiction stories on.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 02:39 pm
JGoldman10 wrote:
No, this is something to base some science fiction stories on.

If you are not a scientist and you try to write spoof articles you may quickly come a cropper in front of your readers in two ways: The first is that you will betray yourself as a beginner and lose credibility if you should hastily adopt an apologetic tone when you imagine that the extent of your knowledge is imperfect. The second is that you will betray yourself as a beginner by mis-representing an insignificant point which, although insignificant, is vital to the general concepts you are using in your article. Your audience will never come back if they see this.

The way around it is to use common sense at all times, and to follow your intuition. If an idea feels wrong, then it probably is wrong. The scientists intuition is no greater than anyone else's; so if you operate on intuition, you will be safe. But this means making sure that you understand everything you write. That's vital.

The situation is slightly different with Sci-fi. Here, you can present outlandish concepts that by their obscurity do not invite criticism and pass for entertainment. But the rest, above, applies. I would say.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:06 pm
I'm not spoofing articles. I'm taking what I've learned from science and incorporating that into my work.

When people write comic books they base their matrial on scientific findings.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:13 pm
JG-

If I was doing it I would immerse myself first in all the other comics in the genre.

From what I understand most writers do that.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:21 pm
JGoldman10 wrote:
I'm not spoofing articles. I'm taking what I've learned from science and incorporating that into my work.

When people write comic books they base their matrial on scientific findings.

Yes, the same applies as I said. Be careful you don't get caught out.
0 Replies