"Book-sharing" service/Individual book collections online

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 08:19 am
Almost every day someone comes up with a use for the internet that makes you wonder why no one has thought of it before.

For years there have been programs to let you catalogue a library, but they have been for obsessional nerds only. It is far more trouble to type in the name, author, and shelf of every book I own than to spend an hour trying to track down something that I know is somewhere in my couples of bookcases.

Let's see what Andrew Brown writes in today's issue of The Wrap*:
[after referring to MP3, CD abd DVD collections etc]
Quote:
For books there is already a Mac program, Delicious Library, which lets you (or your maid) walk round the shelves with a barcode reader, scanning in the codes on modern books, and then collecting the information about them from Amazon. But these programs, however glossy, are somewhat narcissistic. They miss the social strengths of internet collections: the ability to advertise your own good, or at least distinctive, taste, and find other people whose tastes overlap with yours. One of Amazon's great innovations was to suggest books based on what like-minded people had bought. The technique has been refined in Flickr, the photo-sharing service, where the people who share your tastes are identifiable individuals, and so are their friends, and the friends of their friends.

Now this model has finally been applied to books. Librarything.com has been built by Tim Spalding, a freelance web designer in Maine with a classics degree and an interesting taste in books. It's free for small collections (up to 200 books) and USD10, for life, for anything more than that. Last week, word of it got out on a couple of blogs, and Spalding went from fewer than 5,000 books registered to more than 20,000 - the second 10,000 went on in less than 48 hours. I think this might be going to take off in a big way, and if Spalding doesn't make a fortune from it, somebody else surely will.

Sounds quite good.

*The Wrap is one of Guardian Unlimited's paid-for services.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/wrap
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,156 • Replies: 6
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 04:22 pm
Now there's a link that interests me. Thank you, Walter.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 06:25 am
WOW ! Wow wow wow! I LOVE it! you can just type in part of the title and bam! it finds it. i am so gonna do it.
i haven't explored it in detail, but i suppose you can share a view of your library with friends - and swap books while keeping track of who has what....awesome!

i also found a 'guntenberg project' - that has texts of many books - full texts- online! www.guntenberg.org
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 06:34 am
'Gutenberg' exists in several countries/languages and is well know.
There are a couple of more sites, where you can online books ... some are listed in A2K's Portal as well.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 06:40 am
thud. the librarything even tells you what libraries books are in. so if i add a book i don't have but want, i can see where or who (private users) has it. i'm in love.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 07:35 am
dag-

I get the "This page cannot be displayed" on your link.What does that mean?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 09:35 am
I'd thought, it was a typo and dag meant Gutenberg Project.

(However, there's really a 'projet Le Guntenberg' in Quebec :wink: )
0 Replies