The children's father, who was also in the van, said US
soldiers fired on them as they fled towards a checkpoint
because they thought a leaflet dropped by US helicopters told
them to "be safe", and they believed that meant getting out
of their village to Karbala.
Bakhat Hassan - who lost his daughters aged 2 and 5,
his 3 year old son, his parents, 2 older brothers, their
wives and two nieces aged 12 and 15, in the incident- said
US soldiers at an earlier checkpoint had waved them through.

As they approached another checkpoint 40km south of
Karbala, they waved again at the American soldiers.
"We were thinking these Americans want us to be safe,"
Mr Hassan said through an army translator.
The soldiers didn't wave back. They fired.
"I saw the heads of my two little girls come off,"
Hassan's heavily pregnant wife, Lamea, 36, said numbly. She repeated herself in a flat, even voice: "My girls-I watched their heads come off their bodies. My son is dead.
US officials originally gave the death toll from the incident as seven, but reporters at the scene placed it at ten. Mr Hassan's father died later at the army hospital. Us officials said the soldiers who opened fire were following orders not to let vehicles approach checkpoints. On Saturday, a suicide bomber had killed four US soldiers outside Najaf.
Details from interviews with survivors of the incident tell a destressing tale of a family fleeing towards what they thought would be safety, tragically misunderstanding instructions. Mr Hassan's father, in his 60's, wore his best clothes for the trip through the American lines: a pinstriped suit.
"To look American," Mr Hassan said.
On March 16, Mr Hassan and his family began to harvest tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and eggplant. It was a healthy crop and they expected a good year.
"We had hope," he said. "But then you Americans came to bring us democracy and our hope ended."
Lamea is nine months pregnant. "IT would be better not to have the baby," she said. "Our lives are over."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,473 • Replies: 69
No top replies

darkcrystal

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 04:12 am
Sometimes you wish the Americans got a serve of their own medicine. It seems that 100 Iraqi deaths hardly makes a ripple - but the freedom of one POW - Allelujah. It is a sad reflection on this world in which we live!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 04:18 am
The headline in our paper said "The US doesn't leave it's heros behind". She was captured and rescued. That makes her a hero??? Confused
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 04:19 am
Oh Wilso. That brings tears to my eyes Crying or Very sad It's just not fair!!!!!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 04:28 am
This story has had a very strong effect on me.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 04:32 am
And now it has on me. I was waiting to hear what really happened and although it's no surprise to me, it still hits home and makes me even more angry than I already was.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 04:50 am
BTW, the story was written by Meg Laughlin, an embedded US journalist. I couldn't find an electronic copy of the story.

The Miami Herald
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 04:53 am
Thanks Wilso. I've been waiting to hear the story.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 05:11 am
not making an excuse for the action that happened. it's tragic, no doubt about that. but the military personnel there at the checkpoint were probably just as frightened as the family in the vehicle. from all the news i have read, they (the u.s. military) tried to slow down or stop the van. the van didn't slow down, nor stop. what would you do knowing that another checkpost had been destroyed by someone impersonating a non-combatant?

what's in dispute to my mind is what the message (leaflets) that the u.s. dropped actually said, and what the iraqi family interpreted the message to be.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 05:14 am
Wilso wrote:
The headline in our paper said "The US doesn't leave it's heros behind". She was captured and rescued. That makes her a hero??? Confused

wilso, i agree with you 100%. the "hero" label gets thrown around alot these days. what's heroic about being captured?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 05:16 am
I just don't care about the reasons any more. I'm only posting this to let people know exactly what the consequences of the US administration's actions are. There is no escaping the fact that whatever George Bush thought he was doing, he has now become what he claims he's trying to stop. A mass murderer, a war criminal, a child killer. He also represents the worst decision the US public ever made.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 05:16 am
I don't blame the troops either because I know their scared as hell. I blame BUSH for puttting them there in the first place. These soldiers are constantly under fire, so who can blame them. BUSH put them there and him and his administration are the ones to blame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 05:17 am
Wilso
Exactly!!!!
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 05:20 am
Bush is an abusive, self serving bastard!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 05:31 am
i have no opinion on president bush, just the troops that are there. history will show how mr. bush conducted himself.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 07:05 pm
pueo wrote:
Wilso wrote:

wilso, i agree with you 100%. the "hero" label gets thrown around alot these days. what's heroic about being captured?

That's usually my first reaction when they start hyping a story, too. But upon examination, this one little 19 year old sure sounds like she wasn't going to go out without a fight. Two legs broken from gunfire, also stabbed, she took out a couple Iraqi soldiers before going down. She was the only one of her squad who survived. I don't like the photo-op type of story, either. But the PR people might have gotten lucky with this one.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 01:34 pm
<<He also represents the worst decision the US public ever made.>>

Wilso, the US public didn't make that decision...our Supreme Court did. Bush lost the popular election.

Or...were you referring to the US public's decision to accept the Court's ruling?
0 Replies

ferrous

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 10:34 pm
People are going to believe what they want.

The story I read, indicated that Fedayeen combatants, were holding family members hostage, and forced at gunpoint, the occupants, to crash that military guard post.

The soldiers were forced to shoot, when the van failed to stop.

Now who are you going to blame?... Oh of course, this is all about "Bush Bashing."

I just love the whining about the Supremes, stealing the election.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 10:50 pm
Story was written by a US journalist.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 10:52 pm
The word "casualty" must be an American invention. Only they could include "casual" in a word referring to death.
0 Replies