Katrina Divisive to A2K

JPB

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 10:28 pm
Don't get me going about NASA's 1.1 billion dollar request for funds. I was just starting to feel better. Wanna know how I feel about giving NASA 1.1 billion at the moment????
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 12:17 am
Husker
Husker, I understand your point of view. And now you know I'm going to have a "however."

However, it is well known that George Bush et al do not respond to the thoughts of the Democrat Party, nor to the Media. The one thing that George Bush has plainly demonstrated is that he responds to public outrage that lowers his poll ratings.

A large portion of US citizens are very upset at how the hurricane/flood disaster has been handled from the local level to the Federal Government's FEMA. A lot of that anger is aimed at the big poobahs in the Bush administration.

This reaction is the result of the public discussion of the failures of government at all levels, but especially at the FEMA level. Without this discussion, the Bush administration's attempt to stifle that discussion as the wrong topic at the wrong time and is divisive, etc., would largely sweep the scandal under the rug.

That must not happen if this country hopes to analyze the governing structure and learn what works well and what doesn't so that when the next disaster occurs or the terrorists strike, we will have corrected the problems that have made the Katrina disaster worse than it needed to be.

I don't find the Katrina discussion on A2K at all divisive. Sometimes it gets heated, but it usually simmers down, even allowing humor to appear between the verbal pissers. Many A2Kers have actually provided very useful information to help us understand the land, it's history, and possible remedies. Many A2Kers have posted information on which we can focus that would otherwise be lost in the Media vast and excellent reporting.

I for one think the Media has begun to redeem itself with the scope and quality of it's report in both the print and visual Media. This excellent reporting has provided A2Kers with the information we need to have broad discussions on a subject will be with us for a long time and will have long term social and economic consequences for all of us for decades.

I also believe that stifling vigorous discussion on A2K is an unacceptable form of censorship. I'm sure A2Kers don't want to see that happen.

Hugs,
BBB
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 12:20 am
Altogether now.... "It's all Bush's fault!".
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 12:22 am
cjhsa
cjhsa wrote:
Altogether now.... "It's all Bush's fault!".

Perhaps your comment is exactly the kind of rancor that Husker is worried about.

BBB
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 12:26 am
Maybe, but I seriously doubt it. The problem is with the lack of a "Git r done" attitude in the Big Easy. From the LA governor on down to the looters. Like I said, "it's all Bush's fault".
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 12:33 am
Exactly! From both of you - I'm disappointed
I thought people might be able to post without starting a debate here, thus it's not placed in politics or anything to do with a debate...
Unless you want to just reclassify A2K at an exclusive debate forum.

BBB - are you able to sleep at night? You find it necessary to "however"
................ Sad
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 12:40 am
Well Husker, I'm not sure what to say. I didn't see anything devisive about Katrina until some latino dude stood up and said something like "They are only rescuing the blacks, no whites are being rescued". I about died when I heard it.

Many whites refused to leave their pets behind. Cultural differences are vast.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 12:44 am
cjhsa wrote:
Maybe, but I seriously doubt it. The problem is with the lack of a "Git r done" attitude in the Big Easy. From the LA governor on down to the looters. Like I said, "it's all Bush's fault".[/[/b]quote]

unnecessary
Like I said, "it's all Bush's fault"

that's all I faulted you on
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 12:58 am
Good thread, husker. I just skimmied the last couple of pages and I tend to think like noddy and dlowan.
I don't really see the devisiveness of Katrina on a2k as I mostly frequent the trivia & word games forum. I don't want to play the blame game. I just want to give kudos to those people at the grass roots level who are doing something to help: like the ballet teacher who organized drs. & nurses to help the sick and wounded (saw that on tv the other day). Giving money is no small gesture either. Every little bit helps. ... There are hundreds of stories of people helping people in my community and in many others in the US. I say pitch in and do what YOU can.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 01:06 am
devriesj
great to hear about the people in your community
dlowan and noddy did pretty good, and a few others had some fine thoughts also. that was the type of discussion I was looking to get along things started pretty well and went pretty well until a little while ago - things got put on a sideways slant and when that happens sometime the whole topic slides off course like a storm hitting shore.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 01:08 am
Husker
husker wrote:
Exactly! From both of you - I'm disappointed
I thought people might be able to post without starting a debate here, thus it's not placed in politics or anything to do with a debate...
Unless you want to just reclassify A2K at an exclusive debate forum.

BBB - are you able to sleep at night? You find it necessary to "however"
................ Sad

Husker, I'm puzzled. You start a thread entitled "Katrina divisive to A2K" without a ?

To me, that is making an opinion statement, not one asking a question. Apparently you were only inviting opinions from people who agree with your statement. However, you did not state from the beginning that people who don't agree with that statement are not welcome to post on your thread because you don't want any disagreement or debate.

It's all very confusing. I must be getting addled. Confused

BBB
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 01:13 am
just forget it you are dragging this topic down and I'm not going to discuss the merits with you so that you may want to feel superior.
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 01:21 am
Well then, how about talk of what's going on in individual a2ker's towns to help Katrina victims? We've got about 100-150 where I live. My kids are collecting change at their school, the local tv station raised a couple hundred thousand dollars, and the people who come here are staying in a former YMCA building converted into make-shift apartments for them and they're being given provisions that they need. What about where you live. Does anyone know or have first hand knowledge of a Katrina survivor story?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 02:21 am
husker wrote:
devriesj
dlowan and noddy did pretty good, and a few others had some fine thoughts also. that was the type of discussion I was looking to get along things started pretty well and went pretty well until a little while ago - things got put on a sideways slant and when that happens sometime the whole topic slides off course like a storm hitting shore.

Lol...very mirroring, no?

From long, eventful, and errant experience Husker, I would suggest you simply make a post exemplifying the sort of discussion you want, or commenting on it, and ignore what you do not want.

It seems to work better than castigating it.

But hey, I am just a lagomorph.....what would I know?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 06:22 am
Lagomorphs are people...er, rabbits?? ... too.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 05:42 pm
dlowan wrote:
husker wrote:
devriesj

From long, eventful, and errant experience Husker, I would suggest you simply make a post exemplifying the sort of discussion you want, or commenting on it, and ignore what you do not want.

you are correct :wink:
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 05:43 pm
that's bunny love
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 05:46 pm
dlowan wrote:

Indeedy.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 05:59 pm
husker wrote:
dlowan wrote:
husker wrote:
devriesj

you are correct :wink:

Yeah....do what I say, not what I do.

This Bunny is way too world weary and sophisticated for Bunny love....
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 06:14 pm
Quote:
Yeah....do what I say, not what I do.

these I hope are not my famous last words Embarrassed
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/30/2024 at 01:31:43