Katrina Divisive to A2K

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 07:24 pm
Maybe I've just stayed out of the loop pretty much and so haven't noticed any increase in the normal amount of snarling hostility which is always just below the surface in the political forum. I've only followed two of the Katrina threads and they've been pretty tame, in fact. Where there is any divisiveness, it's just the usual suspects spouting their respective party lines. You know immediately who will defend Bush & Co. against any suggestion that the Federal response was anything less than Nobel Prize-worthy and who will blame Bush for the very fact that the hurricane even started. Nothing new in any of that.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 07:33 pm
Yes, that's pretty much how I see it, too, Andrew. The only difference, this time around, is that Bush is looking more vulnerable & flawed than before & both sides of the debate have responded accordingly.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:05 pm
To the divided, all things are divisive.

Shrugs.

It is a bit sad to see it so nasty re a national tragedy though.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:11 pm
I stay away from the political threads for precisely this reason. The threads I've read here on "General" have been hot enough. I agree with Bella...it's impossible not to be upset, so naturally that's surfacing in our dealings with each other.

I'm not upset with anyone, though.

(And I will resist the temptation to head over to the Politics forum to ogle at the car wreck.)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:24 pm
Actually, psychologically speaking, anger and blame are not unexpected after such an event even where it is handled flawlessly.

I suspect too, in countries like ours, where we tend to excel in that "it can't happen here" sort of denial, that such an event is especially traumatic.

Seeing scenes we guiltily expect to see in less fortunate countries happening to US is deeply shocking, I think, and a very emotionally and cognitively traumatic thing.

That being said, it also appears, at least from here, that there was a lot of bad management = somewhat beyond you would expect, and that Bush was initially very underreactive for a leader with any nous.

Shrugs.

But I do not have a dog in this race.

I just hope people are getting the help they need now; including the poor bastards seeing all the horror close up, whether they be victims, rescuers or order enforcers. I am aware there have already been suicides in the police trying to deal with the horror.

Not to mention the poor soldiers straight back from the hell of Iraq to dealing with Katrina...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:26 pm
Eva

There are those who thrive on a full-on fight & there are those who don't enjoy it at much all. I'm with you.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:26 pm
Interesting point, dlowan. That makes sense. Yes, it's deeply unsettling in some of the ways that 9/11 was, the whole "it can't happen here... but it just did" thing.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:36 pm
My mother warned me that some of the worst behavior that I'd ever see in the family would surface at weddings and funerals.

My mother was right--domestically and nationally.

Quote:
It is a bit sad to see it so nasty re a national tragedy though

Times of high emotion bring out unvarnished human nature. Unvarnished human nature ain't always pretty.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:41 pm
Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya
Oh lord, kumbaya

Someone's singing lord, kumbaya
Oh lord, kumbayah

Someone's laughing, lord, kumbaya
Oh lord, kumbaya

Someone's crying, lord, kumbaya
Oh lord, kumbaya

Someone's praying, lord, kumbaya
Oh lord, kumbaya

Someone's sleeping, lord, kumbaya
Oh lord, kumbaya
Oh lord, kumbaya

Does everyone feel better now?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:43 pm
Almost. Maybe if we sing a rousing version of "If I Had a Hammer..."
0 Replies

dlowan

Hmm...mebbe.

I think it brings that out, but also traumatized and grieving human nature, which is a slightly different thing.

Though, I guess the crucible tests the nature of the metal, eh?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

To me, it's all another phase in the cultural war that has plagued the USA since its inception.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:59 pm
Dlowan observed:

Quote:
I think it brings that out, but also traumatized and grieving human nature, which is a slightly different thing.

Some cultures are more emotional than others. In this part of the world a grieving Puerto Rican mother or young widow is expected to try to throw herself into the open grave after the casket has been lowered. If she doesn't have beefy male family members positioned to stop her, the undertaker will assign someone to the task.

I'm not seeing that sort of high, dramatic rendition of emotion in the wake of Katrina. What I'm seeing is "My grief is so deep, so profound, so heartfelt that I'm entitled to snipe and scream and carry on."

Media coverage made it clear that federal, state and local governments were all falling short. Americans--including A2K members--were shocked and embarrassed and very willing to place blame.

The Katrina version of the Blame Game has not been played dispassionately. The ritual parry and thrust of political discourse has been replaced with bludgeons and stilettos--to inflict bruises and to draw blood.

Most people are fighting from a metaphorical moral high ground determined to be King/Queen of the Hill and damn the opposition to the toxic floodwaters.

Ugly.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 09:06 pm
Re: Katrina Divisive to A2K
husker wrote:
In this guys humble opinion Katrina discussions are becoming divisive to A2K and it's creating an unhealthy division among the members.

I think the division was already there, but perhaps the Katrina discussions are increasing the gap ...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 09:31 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Dlowan observed:

Quote:

Some cultures are more emotional than others. In this part of the world a grieving Puerto Rican mother or young widow is expected to try to throw herself into the open grave after the casket has been lowered. If she doesn't have beefy male family members positioned to stop her, the undertaker will assign someone to the task.

I'm not seeing that sort of high, dramatic rendition of emotion in the wake of Katrina. What I'm seeing is "My grief is so deep, so profound, so heartfelt that I'm entitled to snipe and scream and carry on."

Media coverage made it clear that federal, state and local governments were all falling short. Americans--including A2K members--were shocked and embarrassed and very willing to place blame.

The Katrina version of the Blame Game has not been played dispassionately. The ritual parry and thrust of political discourse has been replaced with bludgeons and stilettos--to inflict bruises and to draw blood.

Most people are fighting from a metaphorical moral high ground determined to be King/Queen of the Hill and damn the opposition to the toxic floodwaters.

Ugly.

You may be right.

I haven't read a lot of the Katrina stuff.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 09:33 pm
On a good day - I try and treat everyone like they are a moderator and well like on a bad day............

don't need to say Wink
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 09:35 pm
I normally stay away from the Politics thread. For some reason I've been drawn to it since Katrina. It's as if I need to let it out.

Great thread, Husker.

Thanks from making me smile, Bella.

Thanks for letting me breathe and sing, BVT.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 09:38 pm
if katrina is having a devastating effect on the board, maybe we can get some of that $51 billion that's floating around
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 09:40 pm
djjd62
that could be true - just saw the list published in our local paper about people and businesses that got loans and grants from 911 and they were not even associated with it.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 09:43 pm
i think we're on to something here
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/21/2024 at 02:54:16