Katrina Divisive to A2K

husker

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 05:51 pm
In this guys humble opinion Katrina discussions are becoming divisive to A2K and it's creating an unhealthy division among the members.

Sorry to say -I feel it and I'm also probably even apart of it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,251 • Replies: 59
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 05:54 pm
Sadly I too have been part of it. I think it comes in at least in part when the political angle gets dragged in. That along with everyones personal feelings and views of the tragedy does create one heck of a mess.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 06:00 pm
One time I was doing research on how crimes are reported and found out that reporting can cause its own feedback loop. That it has an effect on the people reading about it -- their adrenalin surges, they're more on edge, more likely to swing or to pull the trigger.

That wasn't exactly it, but the gist.

I think there is some of that here. I read Katrina coverage and I can feel my heart rate rising. I think for a variety of reasons, people are more on edge.

It would certainly be nice if it wasn't directed at each other. But then there is also the tricky aspect of people feeling that it is important to point out problems with how it was handled (for example), and others taking that personally.

The ideal middle ground is probably to go ahead and discuss, but keep it from getting personal. FreeDuck is someone I've been really impressed with as being in the thick of it but keeping things issue-based and factual.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 06:03 pm
yeah - sadly politics and religion can drag us down if we could separate that I bet we'd all be pretty much in a similar thought, then again maybe you can not seperate these things
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 06:06 pm
I don't know about religion, but it's hard to separate politics, yeah. Because a central thing is that one branch (the "team" thing has been annoying me) thinks that the criticism Bush has been subjected to are unfair; another thinks that Bush needs to be held accountable in a way he keeps escaping for one reason or another. Those are pretty much diametrically opposed, not much room for compromise.

So I think the key is not zipping lips completely, just being careful to stay civil.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 06:08 pm
and we were so harmonius before.....
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 06:09 pm
sozobe wrote:

So I think the key is not zipping lips completely, just being careful to stay civil.

100% agreeing - lips zipped = no dialog
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 06:10 pm
How could you possibly leave religion out of this, Soz? It is the singular most divisive thing out there.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 06:12 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 06:13 pm
Re: Katrina?

In general, maybe, but how is it the most divisive part of the Katrina tragedy?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 06:14 pm
this happened with the election as well...
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 06:16 pm
I don't think this is any worse than the election. Besides which no one has beat up on Gus in at least a week. Seeing how the swamp was flooded and he lost his shack and all.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 06:17 pm
Finger pointing..... now more than ever....
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 06:18 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

I'm normally in real life a pretty tolerant kind a guy, but of late feel myself getting really pizzed at some of the folks I like alot.
Actually have been doing a lot of tongue biting more thank you might imagine, I cannot come to a kind way of saying what the frick is on my mind, so better to step aside - cause I as you know don't wanna be going on anymore suspension listings.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 06:28 pm
true.. true.
election was not nearly as bad.

as a general rule, I avoid political threads.
I have broken that rule a few times and seen sides of people I dont like to know .
It is sad.
it seems that you have to tell someone that it isnt personal before you can even reply to a joke..
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 06:32 pm
There's nothing sad about clarification.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 06:41 pm
BBB
bm
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 07:02 pm
I think that everyone is upset about this and that makes people say and do things they might not normally do. We are all under stress and probably feel helpless. I think that if we just all remember that, we can get through this unscathed. Or at least without hating each other.

Good topic husker. :wink:
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 07:03 pm
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
bm

Every time I see this, I think Bowel Movement. Laughing

Sorry....can't help it....have church giggles.... Laughing
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 07:17 pm
long as you are not tooting
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Katrina Divisive to A2K
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/30/2024 at 07:44:57