What would happen if the Sun suddenly went out?

benacre

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 07:35 pm
Is this possible?
Ben
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,110 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 07:37 pm
I'd sleep in.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 07:47 pm
All of the tabloids would be speculating about who he was going out with.
0 Replies

benacre

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 07:49 pm
Perhaps he had gone out for a Burn Out with his mates?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 08:09 pm
Hate to tell you, ben, but there is or was a theory out there that it had already gone out. Something about the absence of neutrinos, or some such thing in a deep mine shaft. They were supposed to be there if the sun were doing its job.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 08:14 pm
roger wrote:
Hate to tell you, ben, but there is or was a theory out there that it had already gone out. Something about the absence of neutrinos, or some such thing in a deep mine shaft. They were supposed to be there if the sun were doing its job.

Quote:
A giant trap has been set deep underground to catch a few of the neutrinos that theory predicts should be pouring out of the sun. Their capture would prove that the sun runs on thermonuclear power.

Link
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 08:17 pm
Yep. Solar Neutrino Units were too low. What's SNU?
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 08:18 pm
You would have about nine minutes to get a really large pile of seasoned wood for your wood stove and break any habits involving the kissing of steel poles.

JM
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 08:39 pm
Husker,

That is the coolest article. I started to read it and was a bit puzzled until I noticed the year it was written (1969).

As you might imagine we now know a whole lot more. We have built several of these neutrino detectors, we now acccept as fact the the sun is a nuclear reactions.

Ben,

To answer your question, it is highly improbable. We know (from experiments like the one Husker posted) quite a bit about how the Sun works.

There is a much greater chance that the Earth will lose its atmosphere (killing all life). If you want to worry about something, you might start here.

I wouldn't worry about the Sun. It has got a least a few billion years left.
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 08:41 pm
The left would blame it on Bush.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 08:52 pm
kirsten wrote:

Who (while he was on vacation) would insist that in spite of general scientific consensus (and the fact it suddenly got dark) it wasn't conclusive that the sun was actually "out".
0 Replies

subtleone

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 09:07 pm
Firstly, I agree that it would be Bush's fault.

Secondly, you may want to aim your research toward the age of stars. I read a very long time ago that stars go through various stages as they age. The sun is a relatively young star. Before the sun were to "go out," it would expand in mass and swallow up the first few planets in our solar system, including our home, Earth. I wish I had a source for this information; this is just bits and pieces from memory.

So, will humans be around long enough to see that day? I don't think so. By then we'll probably have either died off from overpopulation or the erradication of the ozone layer.

Smile!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 08:41 am
kirsten wrote:

And the Right would blame it on the Left.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 08:50 am
Of course. Who else would let the sun go out and try to pass it off as a government entitlement?
0 Replies

babylonian

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 06:57 pm
i'd ask someone to turn it back on.
0 Replies