Help me please!!! Need a good book.

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 10:08 am

I am in desperate ned of a good book. I used to read the paper on the train to work but I can't do it these day's... 2 depressing to start off the day.

I have recently gotten into humorous down to earth books with some black comedy involved. My most recent book was Rules Of Attraction

Anyone have any suggestions???

Please Help :wink:

-Steven
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,535 • Replies: 22
No top replies

itsmeseve

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 10:10 am
oh and btw I enjoy all types of books (mystery, thriller, sci fi, fantasy etc.) as long as it is a page turner... where you just wont sleep untill that chapter/book is complete.

Thanks again!!
-Steven
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 10:11 am
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

If you haven't already.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 10:19 am
Hi Steve, since you're new, I can try to convert you as well, yay! Find Jerome Klapka Jerome, esp. 3 Men on a Bummel and 3 Men on a Boat. Now that is very humourous, full of black humour too, and witty. Written at the turn of 20th century by an Englishman, but still valid in most observations. I found him in a library and have read 3 of his books in a rown, laughing my way throught them, certainly a good break from the news.
0 Replies

max

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 10:37 am
I would like to suggest The Orchid Thief by Susan Orlean, it is wild
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 11:12 am
If you like black humor you can't do any better than Evelyn Waugh, the master:

Scoop

A Handful Of Dust

The Ordeal of Gilbert Pinfold
0 Replies

midnight

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 11:24 am
hmm. . . . I'd recommend The Red Tent. The author expands the story of a briefly mentioned biblical character. Really takes you into the time/myth.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 11:46 am
I second "Three Men in a Boat" by Jerome Jerome.

And a gem by William Trevor, "The Children of Dynmouth." A black humor classic, written before Trevor became too gloomy...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 11:49 am
In that vein is also the book Saturnin, the jewel of black comedy. Alas, it's been a long time, I remember not the author and I read it in Czech. Will get back to you after I found out whether it is available in English and who wrote it. But it is one of my most favourite books ever.
0 Replies

max

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 11:50 am
I'm going to have to get Three Men in a Boat. Its really that good?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 11:51 am
Well, found excerpts in English at least. It is written by Zdenek Jirotka, how could I forget!!! Still dunno if it was published in English though.

SATURNIN
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 12:27 pm
Max, "Three Men" is a lot of fun. A great way to while away a few pleasant hours...
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 01:23 pm
How about THE Good Book?

(sorry Smile ... try Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand)

Or a blank book -- your heart is not a gas tank to be filled from the outside.
Or maybe it is. I dunno. Only one way to find out.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 01:31 pm
I've just re-read "3 Men in a Boat" after seeing Lil K and Dag's remarks. It is a good read, amusing and not at all offensive. Quite English. It talks about a different life.

If you need something to make you laugh uproarishly, and make a fool of yourself on public transport - may I recommend Pete McCarthy, "McCarthy's Pub". I read this on the flight to England a year or so back - and annoyed everyone in the vicinity because I kept laughing. I've bought his next book, "The Road to McCarthy", for my next long trip to Sweden in June. Razz

I also read the newspaper on the way to work - but the difference is, I drive. Confused The news is getting so depressing that, one of these days, I'll take that short left turn, and drive straight into the bay. Crying or Very sad

0 Replies

itsmeseve

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 04:02 pm
Thanks guys and gals... I am off to barnes and noble right after I get off work (which involves me posting on forums... and I get paid for this!! SHHH) !!

You were all a great help. I think I will try "Three Men in a Boat" because it was mentioned so many times on this page. Then perhaps some Susan Orlean.

Thank's again.
Keep me informed.

-Steven
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 06:47 pm
If you like The Orchid Thief, you may like Melissa Faye Greene's Praying For Sheet Rock. I just finished Nick Hornby's How To Be Good, it was an enjoyable, funny, easy train-ride read.

Other dated books that are page turners:

Truman Capote-In Cold Blood
Mario Puzo-The Godfather
Katherine Dunn-Geek Love
Tim O'Brien- Tomcat in Love ( hilarious, really well-written)
Scott Turow- Presumed Innocent
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 07:33 pm
Steve, yay! Do go for the Three Men in a Boat, it would please me so!
0 Replies

max

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 08:23 pm
You know what ? Im going to get 3 Men in a boat too! I'll let you know what I think on page 43. Thanks D'art Very Happy
0 Replies

itsmeseve

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 11:07 pm
WELL THANK YOU AL FOR ALL OF YOUR SUGESTIONS!! I THINK I WILL HAVE TO GO WITH Three Men in a Boat BECAUSE IT WAS MENTIONED SO MANY TIMES ON THE PAGE, AND THEN MOVE ON FROM THERE.
THANK YOU AGAIN!!

-sTeVeN

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
i AM wHAT you SAY i AM
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 07:46 am
We were reading Three men and a dog on a boat , while on Crete last year. Lots of laughs. I am recommending" Crete on the Half Shell" by Byron Ayanoglu.
Adventure, Travel , Food & Zeus.
Link to national review
http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20030329/BKCRET//?query=byron+ayanoglu
0 Replies