what makes a good book

zeroh

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 07:58 pm
Would you read/enjoy a book if it was awfully written, but an amazing story? or would you rather read a well written, boring book? I would just like to get some opinions, thanks

AngeliqueEast

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:18 am
Originality, and imagination are important to me.
0 Replies

MinDSaY

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:47 am
Something connected to the REAL world. Personally I I'm not too keen fiction books, unless they focus on reality. I prefer books not to take me away from reality. That said, the book should contain emotion where I can really feel for the characters.
0 Replies

MaliciousMazeh

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 04:51 am
It has to bring up emotions and feelings. I like surrealistic histories, but not too much.

But most important, it has to be connected with ones emotions and feelings. Make me laugh, make me be sympathic og what so ever. Smile
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 04:58 am
The only ways in which I would go through the unmitigated torture of reading either a poorly written/amazing story book or a well written/boring book are if it were required for some course I had taken; or, if it was written by a friend who wanted me to take a look at it. Other than those reasons, I would toss the book away in short order. As for actual preference, neither one seems to outweigh the other as far as the cruelty being inflicted upon the reader.
0 Replies

benacre

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 01:08 pm
Only if they relate to real life. I do like Fantasy & Sci Fi but nothing too heavy. I used to like James Herbert but he is now very poor. I am not keen on "Chase" novels where the main character is always running from the bad guy or girl.
0 Replies

Larry Ashe

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 06:22 pm
What makes a good book?
This question was asked of me by one of my students who dropped in for a chat the other day. I suggested this and that. On further reflection, and with my tongue a little in cheek, let me add to what I told him. Here goes:

Ask the above of five readers and you will get five varied answers, probably with some common content. Ask it of five writers and you will get—if they have the time—five dissertations which elaborate on one or other aspect of writing, an elaboration that will rise like a vision out of the sea, the sort of thing that John the Revelator might have seen, and with no two elaborations the same. Writers, you see, are a peculiar breed and like nothing more than waxing grandly, at times even eloquently, about their craft. It is a disease, and a pleasant one.
However, if you were to leave that question with the writer and allow him—or her—to ponder it for a day or so, then the response will be more considered, more widely ranging, and more likely to find echoes in the responses of other writers. For the record, this is what one writer sees as the qualities of an A-grade book, a book that says, “Hey, take me,” and then turns and takes the reader, body, mind and soul.
Such a book, the book that will possess you, must first of all have an exceptional story to tell. And what makes a story exceptional? Several things. Firstly, it will be a story that is capable of capturing the interest of a wide range of readers; a story that captivates. Secondly, it must hold the interest of every reader it captures, an interest that will grow with the turning of the pages and, quite possibly, mourn the passing of the last. Thirdly, it will be a story that resonates with at least some part of every reader, a resonance that will bond with a thought here, an experience there, a fear or a fancy, so that each reader can find a piece of himself or herself on the pages and be moved to say, ‘Spot on!’ Fourthly, the story—even if it is an ordinary story of an ordinary person—will shine with the telling and the reader will not see the ordinariness, but will marvel at its lively transformation, at its coming-to-life. Finally (to cut a long story short), an exceptional story will never age, but will live from generation to generation and—if it is truly exceptional—will spawn a yearning for a time that once was but which has now gone forever.
Secondly, an A-grade book will tell its exceptional story in an exceptional way. We are now getting into the more indeterminate aspects of writing because it is not always a simple thing to explain why a particular piece of writing is exceptional. However, the reader will know it when she sees it, and the writer when he strikes it. A light comes on, or a bell sounds, and a deep satisfaction infuses you as though you have sipped fine wine: satisfaction at having written it; satisfaction at recognising it. It is where the writer and the reader meet on the page and shake each other by the hand if they are English, or hug if they are Latin, and say, ‘How very nice to meet you; I hope we shall see a great deal more of each other.’
Lastly, an A-grade book is one which will isolate the reader from everything else and move with him or her through an enchanted place, at times quickly and at times slowly, but ever moving. And when the journey ends there is always a pause, a moment of reflection, perhaps even regret, before the reader steps from the book into his other life, his ordinary life. But the journey has been worth it, and the reader is the richer for it. Now, that was a good book.
Between you, me and a wondering world, I wish that I had written it.

Best regards

Larry Ashe
MusketeerGirl

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 01:36 pm
adventure, adventure, adventure

If someone honestly had a good story to tell, I think I could overlook any flaw. But then again, every reader is different.
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 10:19 pm
To quote Will Hunting: "Hey, whatever blows your hair back."
0 Replies

NobodySpecial

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 06:56 am
Good story, good characters and plot line. Something that's believeable. I hate books that are set in airy fairy fantasy. That's just me, i guess.
0 Replies

Bodo

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 01:39 pm
MinDSaY wrote:
Something connected to the REAL world. Personally I I'm not too keen fiction books, unless they focus on reality. I prefer books not to take me away from reality. That said, the book should contain emotion where I can really feel for the characters.

I agree with this to some extent--I enjoy a lot of historical fiction or fiction based in history at least loosely, particularly if it does a good job of giving me a feel for what life was like in those times.
0 Replies

therisingaction

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 10:12 am
I think what makes a good book is what format appeals to the reader. Some readers like flasbbacks, others like books written in the first person, others like books written in the "you" form, 3rd person perspective. Some authors focus on detailed setting descriptions while others keep them short but emphasis the development of a character's thoughts. What do you think?
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 02:35 am
I'll read anything that challenges me in some way.
I no longer waste time on writing that doesn't open me and get my blood pumping.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 04:51 am
Good for you, flushd.

For myself, I'll sometimes read a book I absolutely hate through to the end, muttering the whole time, "This is BS...this is such a crock...god! this is bad!" From time to time I've been either given a book, or someone has recommended it, or it was on a best-seller list and I've read it cover to cover and afterwards wondered why I didn't toss it out after the first 10 or 15 pages. Sometimes it's because the story fascinates me even though the writing is dreadful (most of Michael Chrichton). The story doesn't even have to be good, just enough to hold one's interest. Right now I'm reading a perfectly awfyl book by Mary Higgins Clark. I've never read anything by Clark but she seems to be so well liked I thought I should try one. It's On the Street Where You Live. This book truly sucks. But I'll finish it just because I want to know how it turns out.
0 Replies

gvapid

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 06:34 pm
I think a well written book is the lesser of two evils. If a book is poorly written, it causes more mental strain and pain than boredom from a dull yet well-written book.
0 Replies

loramar

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 11:04 pm
Well.
I am glad to have found this. I'm a new writer and these replies were exactly what I was looking for. Very Happy

Anyways, I believe a good book is when the reader is constantly yearning to find out what happens next. A good author will always keep the reader's focus and interest throughout the story.

And yet again, it's my opinion.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 11:36 pm
A similar questions arose on another thread about books. Here's what I said about what I think makes a book great:

Roberta wrote:
The Pentacle Queen wrote:
Roberta:
Could you explain further?
What theoreticlaly would make a novel great?

Sure, I'll give it a shot. First the writing. The use and choice of words. The power of the words and the images that the words create. A facility with language that's unique and specific to the writer and to the work that's being written.

Next, characters that are fully formed, complex, and believable. With inner life as well as actions.

A plot that is coherent and intelligent and that moves forward almost on its own power.

These three things must combine to create a reality, even if it exists only in words and in our mind's eye. And there's the intangible quality--talent. A gift that is almost indefinable. But without it, the book just doesn't work.

I read a book a while back that was exquisitely written. I actually stopped occasionally to admire the writing. I stopped and reread a line or a paragraph to admire the words. The characters were fully drawn. The plot moved me forward. But I was bored. That intangible element--at least for me--was missing.

There are books that have all the qualities needed to be considered great. I admire the writing. I believe the characters. The plot moves me forward. The writer has talent. But I don't necessarily like the book. I can admire and respect what the writer has achieved and can acknowledge that it may be a great book. But my own personal taste requires more. Passion, powerful emotion.

I'm sure that more astute and knowledgeable students of literature could come up with more elements that make a book great. It's possible that I used to know more and forgot them. But the things I mention here are the what have remained with me and that are necessary for me.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 02:57 pm
Well said, Roberta.
0 Replies

helmi15

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 09:52 am
I am open for almost every genre. Some sci-fi books with absolutely no connection to reality are quite thrilling. Perhaps Perry Rhodan (a German sci-fi caracter) series.

The only thing I generally hate in books are false facts. For instance, a novel by Stanislaw Lem, "The austronauts", tells about melting the poles ice helps the human race and so on..... That was too much... I had to stop. Smile
0 Replies

averner

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 09:58 am
A book that says something interesting that never came to my mind, especially if it is important and related to real life or things in general. Even better if it asks something fresh.
0 Replies