Graph Theory

RK4

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 11:23 pm
Hi all! Does anyone have the following text written by Robin J. Wilson on Graph Theory:

"Introduction to Graph Theory, 4th edition, 1996"

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,090 • Replies: 18
No top replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 11:42 pm
Check up here (click).
0 Replies

RK4

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 11:02 am
Thanks! I do have the book. I wanted to know whether someone else has it as well because there is a problem on Graph Theory which I can't post here but is in the same book I'm stuck on.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 11:04 am
Sorry, I have a "Introduction to Graph Theory" but it's by Chartrand and Zhang. Can you give the jist of it?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 11:33 am
I have a book with that title, but it's at home and I am at work, so I don't know the author. Perhaps you can post an outline?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 12:46 pm
I'm at home now, and my book turns out to be J.M. Aldous and R.J. Wilson: Graphs and Applications -- An Introductory Approach; Springer (2000). With any luck, it's just a new edition of your book, with a new title because he changed publishers. So what's the problem you want to discuss?
0 Replies

RK4

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 07:38 pm
Thomas, I really appreciate your time and effort. OK, there's a problem, probably in the first chapter on The Hampton Court Maze, where he gives us a sketch of the Hampton Court Maze and tells us to draw a graph from that sketch which shows the various routes one can take to traverse the maze. Please check if your book has this problem. Thanks alot!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:50 am
Yes, my book has this maze. For Free Duck, this is how it looks like:

http://www.puzzles.com/PuzzlePlayground/HamptonCourtMaze/HamptonCourtMaze.gif

My book depicts it upside down however. The graph Wilson constructs from it puts a node in every branching of the graph, and an edge between any two branches that are connected through a corridor.

I'm using "->" to denote "is connected with" now. For example, "b -> c, d" means that b is connected with c and d. In this notation, the graph of the maze has the following structure

a -> b; b -> c, d; d -> e, f; e -> f, g; f -> g; g -> h; h -> i, j; j -> k, l; l -> m.

The question about the graph is: "Use this graph to list all the routes from the centre (A) to the exit (L) that do not involve retracing steps."
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 01:07 pm
Thanks for posting that, Thomas. So, RK4, assuming your book doesn't have the graph constructed from the maze that Thomas mentions, you'll want to construct something like that. If it were me, I would use a node to denote a decision point and probably the end points (dead ends), which I'm guessing is how it was developed in Thomas's edition. So if the red arrow is a, then it has two edges, one to b (the next decision point) and one to c (the dead end). My graph doesn't exactly match the one in Thomas's book. When the graph is finished, it should be easy to see only two solutions where you don't retrace your steps.

Unless I'm missing something, that is.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 01:18 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
So if the red arrow is a, then it has two edges, one to b (the next decision point) and one to c (the dead end). My graph doesn't exactly match the one in Thomas's book.

Yes, the graph in the book starts with 'a' in the center and 'l' at the exit. He always takes a left turn, and whenever he runs into either a dead end or a branching, he calls it a node and labels it with the next letter of the alphabet.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 01:22 pm
Ah, ok, that makes sense then. I was wondering why there was only one edge out of a, so that makes perfect sense.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 04:12 pm
Actually, I see three paths that meet the specifications. They differ only in how you you get from 'd' to 'g'. I have d-e-g, d-f-g, and d-e-f-g. The last one is not the shortest, but it doesn't retrace steps, which was the only constraint.

(Patiently waiting for RK4's question.)
0 Replies

RK4

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:23 pm
Yes Thomas, that's the right problem. So, assuming no back tracking, how many routes are possible from A to L. I could find 3 such routes. Are there more? Can you draw the graph for me? Thanks!

P.S.---> Sorry, I deleted the last topic by mistake.
0 Replies

RK4

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:24 pm
Yeah, there are three different paths out of this maze. Two of them vary only slightly. Thanks for all the help guys. Really appreciate it.
0 Replies

RK4

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:30 pm
Here they are:

Route/Path 1: A  B  D  F  E  G  H  J  L

Route/Path 2: A  B  D  E  F  G  H  J  L

Route/Path 3: A  B  D  E G  H  J  L

Note: box indicates arrow.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 12:41 am
RK4 wrote:
Here they are:

Route/Path 1: A  B  D  F  E  G  H  J  L

Route/Path 2: A  B  D  E  F  G  H  J  L

Route/Path 3: A  B  D  E G  H  J  L

Note: box indicates arrow.

There's also a b d f g h j l. We both missed one option, so it turns out there are four.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 07:42 am
Call me blind, I only saw two. Maybe if I could see the graph in the book it would be more obvious. Ah well.
0 Replies

RK4

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 06:10 pm
Oh yeah Thomas! Good work! Indeed there are 4. Hmm, now I wonder if there are any more than 4. Let's hope not! Thanks again for the time and effort. Two minds working together is always better than one!
0 Replies

RK4

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 06:15 pm
Thomas, in case you're interested in sharing your thoughts with me on another interesting problem I've posted in this same forum you can click on the one posted under the title "Wheel Rolling." Thanks!
0 Replies