Human/Chimp Genome Contradiction?

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 02:21 pm
Concerning the recently-sequenced Chimpanzee genome, and its similarity to/difference with the human genome. One report says:
Quote:
a relatively paltry two "letters" of genetic code differ between humans and chimps in the only gene scientists have directly linked to language, called FOXP2.

Another (from a more reliable source) says
Quote:
A seventh region with moderately strong signals [i.e., of a "selective sweep"] contains the FOXP2 and CFTR genes

Are these two reports contradictory, or am I misunderstanding one or the other?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 697 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 04:56 pm
They are talking about the same thing. This is the key paragraph in the NIH article.

Armed with the chimp sequence, researchers also scanned the entire human genome for deviations from normal mutation patterns. Such deviations may reveal regions of "selective sweeps," which occur when a mutation arises in a population and is so advantageous that it spreads throughout the population within a few hundred generations and eventually becomes "normal."

The presences of the FOXP2 gene in humans is the result of a "selective sweep". The mutation is not present in Chimps.
0 Replies

jnhofzinser

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 05:26 pm
Ok, I found the answer to my question: between NCBI Blast and the Pasteur Institute, I found the alignment between Homo Sapien and Pan Troglodyte FOXP2 genes. The verdict? The two are exactly three "digits" distinct. It may be safe to assume that while the difference is necessary for human language, it is not sufficient (i.e., genes elsewhere are also involved).
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 05:55 am
jnhofzinser wrote:
Ok, I found the answer to my question: between NCBI Blast and the Pasteur Institute, I found the alignment between Homo Sapien and Pan Troglodyte FOXP2 genes. The verdict? The two are exactly three "digits" distinct. It may be safe to assume that while the difference is necessary for human language, it is not sufficient (i.e., genes elsewhere are also involved).

You are saying that more, rather than less, typifies language.
0 Replies

jnhofzinser

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 06:35 am
John Jones wrote:
Correct: I am saying that:
World Science wrote:
the only gene scientists have directly linked to language
is a description of the relative immaturity of bioinformatics as a scince.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 07:25 am
jnhofzinser wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Correct: I am saying that:
World Science wrote:
the only gene scientists have directly linked to language
is a description of the relative immaturity of bioinformatics as a scince.

Genetic theory seems barren on a few counts. One is that it restricts us to saying the same thing for many of the claimed attributes of humans. For example, 'language' is typified as being "more or less genes" as is any other attribute. Even if we associate a 'number' of genes to an attribute, the significance of the number is that it is only more or less than another number.
Second, gene theory itself is in doubt. Grouping genes may be an entirely meaningless activity. The grouping of genes is completely dependent on how society defines an attribute. Language creates the arbitrary notion of feelings and experience, so the grouping of genes appears to be driven culturally, and not derived from any innate properties of the genetic code.
0 Replies