Prison vs. Per Diem Fine

gollum

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2024 06:52 pm
Today, Trump's aide Stephen Bannon is going to prison for failing to appear before a House Committee investigating the events of January 6th.

I guess imprisoning him will cost taxpayers a lot of money. Well over a million other people who do not pose a threat to the general public are also imprisoned.

If instead of imprisoning Bannon (and so many others) the government would charge him a per diem fine until he appears before the House committee.

The government (i.e., the taxpayer) would save the cost of imprisoning him, receive the fine payments, and possibly cause him to appear before the committee.

Do you agree? Better suggestion?

glitterbag

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2024 02:02 pm
@gollum,
Are you under the impression the money would actually be paid by Bannon, or by the people who want to overthrow this country? He can be wandering around planning another insurrection while he's "paying fines".
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2024 04:35 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

If instead of imprisoning Bannon (and so many others) the government would charge him a per diem fine until he appears before the House committee.

Do you agree? Better suggestion?

I don't agree. My suggestion would be hard labour for the bastid. Love to see him sweating while crushing rocks or something Smile
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2024 04:39 pm
@Mame,

yup.

lock his seditious ass up and throw away the key...
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2024 02:18 pm
@gollum,
The purpose of the punishment is to provide a deterrent to those considering doing the crime. A fine would be no deterrent at all since Bannon wouldn't even pay it.
gollum

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2024 03:49 pm
@engineer,
engineer-

Maybe you're right. I'm not sure. Bannon worked at Goldman Sachs as an investment banker in the Mergers and Acquisitions Department. While there, he assisted in expanding Goldman's presence in the entertainment industry. He left Goldman with the title of vice president. Then he launched a boutique investment bank specializing in media. In one of Bannon & Co.'s transactions, the firm represented Westinghouse Electric. Instead of a full adviser's fee, he accepted a stake in five TV shows for which he still receives residuals. In 1998, Société Générale purchased Bannon & Co.)

With a per diem fine, he would incur expense until he paid.
Mame

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2024 07:21 am
@gollum,
Seriously, what do you think would be worse for him? Paying a fine or going without his wines, whiskeys, and fine meals for a few months? Not to mention sharing a room, using an open toilet, eating the muck they serve and having to socialize with felons?
gollum

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2024 08:58 am
@Mame,
Mame-

I recommended a daily (per diem) so the cost would go up relentlessly. At some point, I think he might pay.

If he doesn't, the taxpayer will have received a substantial and ever-increasing amount of money instead of bearing the expense of imprisoning him.
Mame

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2024 09:32 am
@gollum,
If he doesn't pay, nobody gets anything. At any rate, that's not the system as it is.
gollum

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2024 09:37 am
@Mame,
Mame-

You may be correct.

However, I suspect that with all the millions of dollars he has earned over the years (plus the residuals being received now), the government could find and seize it.
0 Replies