Well...that "debate" was painful to watch last night.

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2024 04:29 am
Trump lied a lot, but that was expected. He lies each time he opens his mouth to speak. He also, as expected, showed that he cannot put together coherent thoughts...nor stay focused on any subject but himself.

Joe Biden was expected to strengthen his case for continuing his presidency, and failed miserably.

I feel about as glum this morning as I have felt in a very long time.

hightor

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2024 06:06 am
@Frank Apisa,
I couldn't watch it. The clips I heard this morning were dismal. The presidency is basically being handed back to Trump and, unless Dems recapture the house and expand their lead in the Senate (both prospects seem rather dubious) we'll be living in a different country, the Divided States of America. It didn't have to end this way – I don't know what Biden was thinking when he decided to run for re-election instead of leaving office as the guy who stepped in, did a remarkable job, and left the country in good shape for his successor. But stewing about it won't accomplish anything. I'll still be voting for Biden/Harris in November.
cherrie

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2024 06:11 am
@hightor,
We saw bits of it on the news here and that was enough. It was excruciatingly bad. There was some suggestion that maybe Biden should step aside and let some0ne else run. I can't help thinking that would be the best idea if it's not too late.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2024 07:17 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

I couldn't watch it. The clips I heard this morning were dismal. The presidency is basically being handed back to Trump and, unless Dems recapture the house and expand their lead in the Senate (both prospects seem rather dubious) we'll be living in a different country, the Divided States of America. It didn't have to end this way – I don't know what Biden was thinking when he decided to run for re-election instead of leaving office as the guy who stepped in, did a remarkable job, and left the country in good shape for his successor. But stewing about it won't accomplish anything. I'll still be voting for Biden/Harris in November.

I will, too, Hightor. But only to protect our country from Trump. Joe Biden should never have re-run for the job. But now that the primary season is about over, I do not see how he can withdraw reasonably.
Mame

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2024 07:56 am
@Frank Apisa,
Maybe their problem is who to replace him with? And what to do about Kamala in that event?
hightor

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2024 08:08 am
@Mame,
Quote:
And what to do about Kamala in that event?

Yeah, I know. I like Harris. I think she has something to contribute as an office holder. She's worked hard as a V.P. But, realistically, I don't think she'd make a good president, not it the USA we know today. And what's the purpose of having a V.P. who can't step into the job and be the chief executive from day one?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2024 08:40 am
Welcome to the wonderful world of brokered conventions.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2024 09:46 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Maybe their problem is who to replace him with? And what to do about Kamala in that event?

Those are both problems.

As for Kamala...I think she has been doing great recently. But I am not going to kid myself that she could win the office if she replaced Joe Biden in the number one spot. I'd love to see it, but I think the US is just not up to the job of putting a woman in the job. We've got a bit more growing up to do before that happens.

Not sure of what the Dems can do...if the decide something has to be done. And I am not sure they ever will make that decision. As I see it, the only way Biden goes is if he decides to go...or if, as he might say, the Lord takes him.

As Chester A. Riley would say, "What a revoltin' development this is!" (The youngsters can look it up.)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2024 09:48 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Welcome to the wonderful world of brokered conventions.

If it happens...it will be brokered by people pledged to Joe Biden. Wonder how that will work out.

At some point last night, I felt that the winner of the debate was Robert Kennedy, Jr. (I'd write in Abraham Lincoln's name rather than vote for him.)
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Well...that "debate" was painful to watch last night.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.14 seconds on 09/07/2024 at 05:41:25