my cat had seizures

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:41 pm
My cat, Opus, has had seizures for the past two days. We had to rush him to the vet and is now on Valium. The vet said it could be caused by one of three things: a stroke, epilepsy, or eating something toxic. But, I checked there is nothing toxic by him or his room with/the other cats. He's the only one having the seizures. What can I do? I was freaking out when he would have a seizure because, i didn't know what to do. Any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,082 • Replies: 5
No top replies

littlek

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:46 pm
Do what your vet tells you to do.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:59 pm
It can also be caused by head trauma, a brain tumor ,allergies, eating certain house plants, lead paint chips, or a mouse that was poisoned. Are you in an apartment that they spray for bugs? Some animals are sensitive to the insecticides. You might want to find a copy of "The Natural Cat" by Antonia Fraiser. She talks about how some pet food can make you cat ill. I don't think her raw diet is all that great, but you might want to switch to a better grade cat food.

I had a rotweiller with epilepsy. He was on various drugs, none kept him seizure free. He had walking seizures, which meant he would walk into walls or furniture and hurt himself. I would have to lay on top of him to keep him down, not easy with a strong 140lb dog. I eventually had to put him down. Some epilepsy is more manageable, in time you will know.

You can probably find a lot of information of the web if you search "cat seizures". Good luck.
0 Replies

gordy

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 01:39 pm
The same thing happened to my sisters cat. The vet did all sorts of checks and tests.
Then after 3 or 4 episodes the seizures/fits stopped and never returned,and the cat went on to live to a right old age.

If it has been examined by the vet and is eating ok and is otherwise healthy, I don't think there's much else you can do

I would keep the cat in the house and away from the stairs (My sisters cat fell down the stairs during one attack)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 01:54 pm
Glad to hear that, gordy. Hope it works with lex, too.
0 Replies

Lex62589

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 02:56 pm
update
Thanks guys, I'm just having a down day today. The feline aids, toxoplasmois, and feline leukemia test came back negetive. Which is really good, but bad at the same time.We still don't know whats wrong with Opus. Hopefully, they just got away. Luckily, he started to eat,drink water, and "do his business" this morning.But, when the vet checked on him this morning he was having yet another seizure.
0 Replies