The Intrusion of Spiritualism in Modern Science

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:50 am
Modern Science has many uses for the concept of a non-material soul or spirit. Here are some modern scientific uses for these concepts:

1. In Evolutionary Biology, the gene is regarded as the replicating unit. Behaviour is designed to maximize survival of the gene. However, it is never a particular gene that survives, but the pattern of a gene. The pattern is a not a physical or energetic entity and can usefully be regarded as a spirit.

2. In neurobiology the brain is credited with causing experience and behaviour. To accomodate this view, it is essential that a non-material spirit be constructed that is the recipient of experience and behaviour manufactured by the brain.

3. In medicine, brain matter is sometimes said to be disordered, causing mental illnesses. As matter itself cannot be said to be disordered, it is suggested that the disorder is a spirit or non-material energy that resides in the brain.

4. In quantum physics, the observer is credited with affecting physical outcomes. The observer is not defined physically, so here we have an example of a non-material energy affecting quantum physical outcomes.

5. In the theory of mathematics, numbers are said to continue indefinitely. As numbers occur only as contingent constructions, we must suppose that the mathematician places a "hidden mathematician" beside each number who can secretely construct succeeding numbers. It would not be useful here to claim that the "hidden mathematician" is not physical, as mathematics itself is not physical. We may, however, use the example of the hidden mathematician as a representative of mathematics and its contingent nature. Contingency, as appearance and disappearance, is not a property of a purely physical universe.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,697 • Replies: 35
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:57 pm
Re: The Intrusion of Spiritualism in Modern Science
John Jones wrote:
1. In Evolutionary Biology, the gene is regarded as the replicating unit. Behaviour is designed to maximize survival of the gene. However, it is never a particular gene that survives, but the pattern of a gene. The pattern is a not a physical or energetic entity and can usefully be regarded as a spirit.

If this were true, then the term "spirit" would be interchangable with "information".

John Jones wrote:
2. In neurobiology the brain is credited with causing experience and behaviour. To accomodate this view, it is essential that a non-material spirit be constructed that is the recipient of experience and behaviour manufactured by the brain.

Spirit = Self

John Jones wrote:
3. In medicine, brain matter is sometimes said to be disordered, causing mental illnesses. As matter itself cannot be said to be disordered, it is suggested that the disorder is a spirit or non-material energy that resides in the brain.

Matter itself can not be disordered, but patterns of matter can. A living brain is a pattern of matter and that pattern can be distorted without calling it a spirit.

John Jones wrote:
4. In quantum physics, the observer is credited with affecting physical outcomes. The observer is not defined physically, so here we have an example of a non-material energy affecting quantum physical outcomes.

Yes.

John Jones wrote:
5. In the theory of mathematics, numbers are said to continue indefinitely. As numbers occur only as contingent constructions, we must suppose that the mathematician places a "hidden mathematician" beside each number who can secretely construct succeeding numbers. It would not be useful here to claim that the "hidden mathematician" is not physical, as mathematics itself is not physical. We may, however, use the example of the hidden mathematician as a representative of mathematics and its contingent nature. Contingency, as appearance and disappearance, is not a property of a purely physical universe.

You lost me on this one. I'm better with short sentences. Smile

So what were you getting at with all this? Are you trying to quantify "spirit", or find some way to measure it?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:04 pm
John,

You threads all make the same mistake-- trying to equate science and religion.

Science is not a religion; and religion is not a science.

Science deals with things that are testable. Religion accepts things by faith.

Some of your assertions on this thread, there is nothing inherently wrong. There certainly could be a "spirit" (you need to define this term better) inherent in genes. There is nothing in mathematics that says there isn't a "hidden mathematician".

But these assertions are not scientific-- i.e. there is no way using experiment or formalized logic to prove these assertions. But as philosophy (i.e. things you just accept) they are fine.

Your view on Quantum Physics has a problem in the term "non-material energy". It doesn't make any sense to anyone who has studied Quantum physics. You clearly don't understand what we mean by "observer" in quantum physics. It is a mathematical idea controlled by a rigorous mathematics-- not a philosophical one.

Medicine also deals with things that can be scientifically measured and detected. When we treat a bacterial disease, we can see the microbes that cause it. We can run experiments to show the link between a microbe and the disease. We can then develop medicine (or another treatment) that we can prove by experiment solves the problem.

Yes, mental disorders are a bit more complex (and controversial). But in many cases we can run experiments to detect problems. A tumor can cause mood swings, and this is a very "non-spiritual" cause. Science can answer the question if a gene is connected to some disorders (i.e. schizophrenia and depression) and these scientific studies are leading to treatments that have some effect.

There will probably be some psychological disorders that are and should be outside the realm of science (because they deal with emotion and culture).

But if problems, be they germs or tumors or hormones or genetic disorders that are shown to be scientific-- meaning that they are linked to a definite cause that can be measured by experiement-- then we should use science to address them.

Science has been shown the most effective answer to scientific problems-- especially in the medical field.

If your kid has pneumonia do you accept penicillin (which was descovered by scientific research and shown effective by experiement) to kill the germs that science says is causing it, or do you find a way to reoder the non-material energy.

I don't have a problem if you choose to pray...

but please use the penicillin.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 03:52 pm
BM
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 01:54 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
John Jones wrote:

If this were true, then the term "spirit" would be interchangable with "information".

John Jones wrote:

Spirit = Self

John Jones wrote:

Matter itself can not be disordered, but patterns of matter can. A living brain is a pattern of matter and that pattern can be distorted without calling it a spirit.

John Jones wrote:

Yes.

John Jones wrote:

So what were you getting at with all this? Are you trying to quantify "spirit", or find some way to measure it?

Quote:

A difference might be that information is not a property of an object, whereas spirit is. Also, if animals are preapared to die and survive for a pattern, then the pattern assumes the quality of a god or spirit. The term 'information' is too general to cover this aspect.

Quote:

It is merely linguistic convenience that allows us to say that two unlike patterns are of a pattern and a distorted pattern. Distortion has no defining characteristics.

Quote:

All I meant was this: in order to say that numbers continue indefinitely of their own accord, then the mathematician must invent a personality or soul to carry out the act of number creation behind the scenes. This soul is hidden, and the claim that 'numbers continue indefinitely of their own accord' appears true, but only because the soul that does the counting is hidden.

Quote:

I am trying to show that science is hypocritical to claim that it is 'unsuperstitious'.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 02:22 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
John,

You threads all make the same mistake-- trying to equate science and religion.

Science is not a religion; and religion is not a science.

Science deals with things that are testable. Religion accepts things by faith.

Some of your assertions on this thread, there is nothing inherently wrong. There certainly could be a "spirit" (you need to define this term better) inherent in genes. There is nothing in mathematics that says there isn't a "hidden mathematician".

But these assertions are not scientific-- i.e. there is no way using experiment or formalized logic to prove these assertions. But as philosophy (i.e. things you just accept) they are fine.

Your view on Quantum Physics has a problem in the term "non-material energy". It doesn't make any sense to anyone who has studied Quantum physics. You clearly don't understand what we mean by "observer" in quantum physics. It is a mathematical idea controlled by a rigorous mathematics-- not a philosophical one.

Medicine also deals with things that can be scientifically measured and detected. When we treat a bacterial disease, we can see the microbes that cause it. We can run experiments to show the link between a microbe and the disease. We can then develop medicine (or another treatment) that we can prove by experiment solves the problem.

Yes, mental disorders are a bit more complex (and controversial). But in many cases we can run experiments to detect problems. A tumor can cause mood swings, and this is a very "non-spiritual" cause. Science can answer the question if a gene is connected to some disorders (i.e. schizophrenia and depression) and these scientific studies are leading to treatments that have some effect.

There will probably be some psychological disorders that are and should be outside the realm of science (because they deal with emotion and culture).

But if problems, be they germs or tumors or hormones or genetic disorders that are shown to be scientific-- meaning that they are linked to a definite cause that can be measured by experiement-- then we should use science to address them.

Science has been shown the most effective answer to scientific problems-- especially in the medical field.

If your kid has pneumonia do you accept penicillin (which was descovered by scientific research and shown effective by experiement) to kill the germs that science says is causing it, or do you find a way to reoder the non-material energy.

I don't have a problem if you choose to pray...

but please use the penicillin.

1. My assertions, if I use mathematics for my example, are no more or less 'scientific' than mathematics itself. If mathematics claims that numbers continue indefinitely, then it is the mathematician who has invented the hidden mathematician and not me. I say that there is no hidden mathematician, and that accordingly mathematics must be revised in some simple ways.

2. There are no experiments that can detect 'disorder' of the brain unless we have a standard to measure differences by, of which the term 'disorder' merely serves to signify one particular case; for there is nothing a priori that characterizes either 'disorder' or the standard we employ. You also use two different examples with different definitions of 'disorder'. There is physical 'disorder' that must contain rules for establishing a claim that a particular case is changed (or 'disordered') from what we independently establish as a case of physical normalcy; and there is mental disorder which is a social category and cannot be deduced a priori from physical characteristics. The two types of disorder share no equivalences

3. Science has no relationship to the world. The ideas of science are empty metaphysical ideas mapped to what we have independently discovered to be useful. I am claiming that these metaphysical ideas of science, undoubtedly useful for inspiration and for jogging memory, also employ the concept soul or spirit in a variety of cases. We see here a dissolution of the boundaries between mysticism, religion and 'science'.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 02:26 pm
John Jones wrote:
I am trying to show that science is hypocritical to claim that it is 'unsuperstitious'.

How does your attempt to equate things, like "information" and "disorder", with "spirit" show that science is superstitious?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 02:34 pm
John Jones wrote:
A difference might be that information is not a property of an object, whereas spirit is.

You seem quite sure of yourself when you say that spirit is a property of an object. How do you know?
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 02:37 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
John Jones wrote:

How does your attempt to equate things, like "information" and "disorder", with "spirit" show that science is superstitious?

Science, as a hopefully, unified body of knowledge of what is true and not true about the world can make the claim that what is not in its body of knowledge, such as spirit, is not in the world and is consequently irrational and superstitious, and many proponents of science would be happy to do say that.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 02:38 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
John Jones wrote:
A difference might be that information is not a property of an object, whereas spirit is.

You seem quite sure of yourself when you say that spirit is a property of an object. How do you know?

Information is not a property of an object, but spirit is defined as being a property of an object when the object is the brain, for example. We say that mind is 'in the brain'.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 02:40 pm
John Jones wrote:
Information is not a property of an object, but spirit is defined as being a property of an object when the object is the brain, for example. We say that mind is 'in the brain'.

What definition of spirit are you using? Are you saying that spirit is synonomous with "thought", or with "awareness"?
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 02:53 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
John Jones wrote:

What definition of spirit are you using? Are you saying that spirit is synonomous with "thought", or with "awareness"?

My definition or use of the term 'spirit' is lax, and ignores differences between spirit and soul, for example, that are acknowledged in mysticism. However, I felt that I could ignore these subtle differences, for as far as science is concerned I think that each term is as good as the other; in that, both are considered by science to be non-material agencies, like thought and awareness, and all hold a contradictory claim to existence.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 03:06 pm
John Jones wrote:

Only if he measures them. As long as he doesn't measure, everything goes its mechanical, non-spiritual way. And yes, the observer is described physically throught the collapse of the wavefunction. It's not a very graphical description, but it is a physical one. For details, see the Feynman Lectures, Vol. 3.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 03:39 pm
Thomas wrote:
John Jones wrote:

Only if he measures them. As long as he doesn't measure, everything goes its mechanical, non-spiritual way. And yes, the observer is described physically throught the collapse of the wavefunction. It's not a very graphical description, but it is a physical one. For details, see the Feynman Lectures, Vol. 3.

Unless measurement is defined a little more closely, it is difficult to see what difference there is between measurement and observation in this case.
It is not possible, I believe, to infer an observer from a 'collapse of the wave-function', so I do not see how the collapse of a 'wave-function' can define or physically describe an observer. Also, I think that we map observer to wave-function, but a mapping does not establish a relationship.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 03:54 pm
John Jones wrote:
It is not possible, I believe, to infer an observer from a 'collapse of the wave-function', so I do not see how the collapse of a 'wave-function' can define or physically describe an observer.

It doesn't. The wave function and the matrixes operating on it are a mathematical model of reality. The collapse of the wave function is how the influence of the observer is modeled in this mathematical formalism. There is no inference involved.

John Jones wrote:
Also, I think that we map observer to wave-function, but a mapping does not establish a relationship.

Read Feynman III. Really. I don't mean to be arrogant, and I'm sorry if I sound that way, but there is just no point in philosophizing about these things without some foundations in what quantum physics textbooks are really saying.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 03:58 pm
John Jones wrote:
...as far as science is concerned I think that each term is as good as the other; in that, both are considered by science to be non-material agencies, like thought and awareness, and all hold a contradictory claim to existence.

The difference being that thought and awareness are known to exist, whereas, the spirit is not (depending on your definition of course... which is why I asked...).
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 04:26 pm
Thomas wrote:
John Jones wrote:
It is not possible, I believe, to infer an observer from a 'collapse of the wave-function', so I do not see how the collapse of a 'wave-function' can define or physically describe an observer.

It doesn't. The wave function and the matrixes operating on it are a mathematical model of reality. The collapse of the wave function is how the influence of the observer is modeled in this mathematical formalism. There is no inference involved.

John Jones wrote:
Also, I think that we map observer to wave-function, but a mapping does not establish a relationship.

Read Feynman III. Really. I don't mean to be arrogant, and I'm sorry if I sound that way, but there is just no point in philosophizing about these things without some foundations in what quantum physics textbooks are really saying.

Quote:
The collapse of the wave function is how the influence of the observer is modeled in this mathematical formalism.

The 'model' of mathematical formalism of the collapse of the wave function would seem to be a general term to cover a few operations, and not just an arithmetical development of QM. We have the mapping of metaphysical concepts (observer) to physical outcomes, and a statistical description of what outcomes to expect, for example. Again, I draw attention to the fact that mapping 'observer to outcome' does not signify a relationship between them. Mathematics employs the metaphysics of observer in its development of QM theory in order to clothe the model with intuitively acceptable ideas. I do not think it succeeds.

Your worries are misplaced. As long as you do not speak in Jargon, it should not be difficult to follow QM as far as the most advanced developments in the field have been taken.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 04:32 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
John Jones wrote:
...as far as science is concerned I think that each term is as good as the other; in that, both are considered by science to be non-material agencies, like thought and awareness, and all hold a contradictory claim to existence.

The difference being that thought and awareness are known to exist, whereas, the spirit is not (depending on your definition of course... which is why I asked...).

If a particular experience is its own proof then, from experience, I could regard a spirit as proved. In this case I can make that claim with as much assurance as the claim that there are experiences of a particular type....
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 04:37 pm
John Jones wrote:
M Behaviour is designed to maximize survival of the gene.

Behavior is designed to maximize the survival of the phenotype (individual) the genes of that phenotype are simply along for the ride. If a sufficient number of individuals with a particular gene survive and reproduce then so does the gene.

You basic premiss is wrong
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 04:58 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
John Jones wrote:
M Behaviour is designed to maximize survival of the gene.

Behavior is designed to maximize the survival of the phenotype (individual) the genes of that phenotype are simply along for the ride. If a sufficient number of individuals with a particular gene survive and reproduce then so does the gene.

You basic premiss is wrong

A phenotype is a non-phyical, non-energetic entity. It is difficult to see how materialistically defined behaviour can promote a non-material entity or cause.
0 Replies