Does anyone else here (besides Izzy) go to garage sales, boot sales and the like?

Mame

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2024 05:50 pm
My husband and I love spending part of the weekend doing just that. Today we got a golf pushcart for $15, some hollyhocks for $2 ea, some garden netting and stakes for $4, a bunch of books (him) for $2.50, and more perennials for next to nothing. And that's in CAD$ Smile

On May 12th, I stood on a patio chair to hang a hanging planter and fell right through the damn seat. Really buggered up my foot (still limping but can finally get a shoe on) and ruined my chair, of course. So, now I'm down 3 of my 6 original patio chairs and that just doesn't work. I found 4 gently used patio chairs with thick waterproof cushions for $20 - what a deal.

Don't you just love getting a deal? And speaking of, it seems like all of our restaurants and pubs offer Happy Hours now with great deals on food and bevvies... is that the same where you are? Regular prices are up, up, up... but there's always a deal between 2 and 6.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 421 • Replies: 4
No top replies

hightor

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2024 04:39 am
@Mame,
I have friends that always make the rounds visiting local yard sales and, yes, they occasionally find some pretty amazing bargains. I used to visit these sales on occasion and I scored some pretty good tools that way – like a 16 pound sledge hammer for a dollar. For some reason, the practice has lost its appeal to me. I think because it makes me feel a bit like a jackal. And I have too many tools as it is.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2024 07:48 am
@Mame,
Even when I lived in the suburbs of Massachusetts (almost 24 years ago), I never went to garage sales.

Living in NYC? I've walked past stoop sales, block sales, and random junk on a street corner by a likely homeless person. Never perused. Never considered buying.

1. I really don't carry very much cash on me.
2. I really don't like the idea of haggling and I immediately assume the price on these items are meant to be on the slightly higher side.
3. the street corner stuff? I'm wondering how much is stolen.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2024 08:38 am
Yes. great way to buy hand tools and simple furniture to repair and give away.
Mame

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2024 10:55 am
@bobsal u1553115,
It's a fun and harmless occupation for a weekend Smile You get to meet and talk to people, see how they live, grab a bargain... yes, quite fun.
0 Replies