Gardening ideas...

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 09:45 pm
Whatever, away from house, and not toward neighbors yard if it was not already going there anyway.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 08:30 am
It's currently away from house, and this would be towards where it was already going (stream at back of property, right on line between us and neighbors behind us), just that idea would spare the lawn, as the water would be directed around it rather than through it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 08:49 am
ah, good sense then.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 12:40 pm
Got my WFF ferns!!!!

I'm so excited!

They don't name which ones ahead of time, part of the deal, so just found out what they are.

http://roger.jouet.free.fr/photographies_fichiers/image127.jpg
athyrium filix-femina (Lady Fern)

http://www.cobleskill.edu/courses/orht321/Matteuccia%20struthiopteris%200104.JPG
matteuccia struthiopteris (Ostrich Fern)

http://www.newfs.org/seeds/80%25_largeimages/Osmunda%20cinnamomea%20garden%20s.jpg
osmunda cinnamomea (Cinnamon Fern)

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Images/sld19145.jpg
adiantum pedatum (Maidenhair Fern)

Plus, I have two more of these as potted plants from the nursery.

http://www.missouriplants.com/Ferns/Polystichum_acrosticoides_plant.jpg
polystichum acrostichoides

http://wisplants.uwsp.edu/photos/DENPUN_EJJ2.jpg
dennstaedtia punctilobula (Hay-scented fern)

Then I also have three Japanese painted ferns, potted, from the nursery (they were on sale):

http://www.dutchbulbs.com/spring/images/74731.jpg

So, 7 varieties, 3 each of maidenhair and Japanese painted ferns, then 1 each of the remaining 5 varieties.

Gonna go plant!!!!!!!!! :-D :-D :-D

Well, if anyone has any planting advice, go for it, I'll try to restrain myself for a bit. Mostly planning on going by height -- taller ones further back, shorter ones closer up.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 12:52 pm
Other consideration is sun/ shade -- some are more sun tolerant than others.

(These photos I found are instructive for ideas on underplantings, too, for example I like those little variegated leaves under the ostrich fern.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 01:16 pm
Also, given a choice between two that work re height, sun, etc, leaf, er, frond color and form relative to what it would be in front of - some things just look better together than others.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 03:25 pm
DONE!

Ouch.

The bare-root ones were relatively simple, the nursery pots took some serious digging and that area is chock-full of roots and rocks and impediments to getting more than an inch below the surface. Sore hands.

Where I ended up putting them will be hard to describe without a diagram, and I remain stymied there (scanner isn't working and I haven't been able to find any freehand drawing program on the mac). I was a little footloose and fancy free, idea is to set 'em loose and eventually propagate a la Noddy.

The five potted ones I put between the cottonwoods, in a semi-symmetrical arrangement. Put the bareroot maidenhair there too, so a bit of a grove thing going on. Bigger ones behind them, all more or less symmetrical in a loose way -- roughly equidistant between two areas of interest, for example. Biggest ones furthest back/ closest to fence, with allowance made in placement for the sun exposure that kind of fern prefers.

Anyway, at this point I've cleared four big hurdles -- clearing the area, deciding what I want to put there, actually buying/ ordering it, and actually planting it. I've spent too much time dreaming in the past and wasting opportunities, gardening-wise, decided I'd rather go whole-hog and not worry too much about details and be sure I actually get it DONE.

According to the booklet that came with the ferns, now that I've given them a good soaking all I have to do is protect them a bit this winter (like with pine boughs). That's it. No more watering, no fertilizing, just wait.

That's my kind of gardening.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 04:14 pm
Be warned, while fernseed in your shoes will not make you invisible, the ferns will seed themselves according to their own sweet order.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 05:30 pm
My experience, too. The ferns will travel.

Love them, though. It's gonna be fun.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 06:30 pm
You've already planted them all? Darn. I was going to tell you that I thought the hay-scented ferns were roamers and should maybe go in back of everything else. Maybe I am wrong. Too late now anyway. I want to see pix of the ferns next summer!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 06:49 pm
we have now started to plant "spreaders" in containers with the bottom knocked out. this seems to prevent the plants from spreading and also gives a denser plant. another benefit : easier to water; just water the plant without wasting water all around. hbg

ps. have started fall cleanup. last few days were wonderful summerdays - but it's coming to an end. got startled this morning whenthe weahter-report showed all the snow in western canada - even reached winnipeg and northern ontario. we want more sunshine !!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 08:53 pm
Roaming is good!

I planted it on a slope, if it takes over that slope I'd be thrilled.

Nice idea though for stuff I want to stay put, hamburger.

Will take pics fer sure! Expect they won't do much next year, well the bareroot ones anyway, but will still be able to give you an idea of where they are.

Rough plan is to give over the very susceptible to weeds northeast corner of the yard to the ferns, around the three cottonwoods, and back to the fences (north and east). Probably one more underplanting/ groundcover in that area, and then basically leave it and focus on other areas. Project for next year will probably be the sideyard, a very steep slope with lots of erosion. (The project for this year was poison ivy eradication, ferns contribute to that by being planted where poison ivy WAS and hopefully helping to keep it from getting a toehold again.)

Planted some veronica on the slope in front of the more westerly cottonwood, hoping it'll take off there but not sure if there will be enough sun. (It was on sale at the nursery, too.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 08:57 pm
Containers can help if roots are the cause of the spreading.

Running bamboo, for example, can be contained by stainless steel sheets and probably other containers to a certain depth.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 06:07 pm
Oakleaf in the hole!

All planted. Wasn't quite smack in the hole, too many pine tree roots mucking up the works. Made the hole just barely north, a bit (but not too) closer to the mopheads.

Love how it looks, already!!! The color and texture of the leaf is pretty much an exact match for the mopheads, but then the shape of the leaves are different and tie in a bit to the conifers.

Any suggestions for underplantings? Lots of space between the low stone wall and the oakleaf to the south... I displaced some vinca when I made the hole and then re-planted that in the blank space, so that should spread and cover up some of it, but was thinking it might be nice to have vinca, then [something taller than vinca but shorter than the oakleaf], then oakleaf (in order of appearance if you're looking north from the stone wall).

Also raked and mowed the back lawn in preparation for spreading grass seed, ran out of daylight so will do that tomorrow.

Ferns seem to be doing well, although I think a squirrel got one of the bareroots! Grrr.

Once I've done the grass seed, main tasks are just dealing with annuals and leaves.

Whoo-hoo!

(Thanks again!)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 06:18 pm
Will think, as vinca can get thick in time.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 08:16 pm
Supposedly human urine repels squirrels from new planting.

If Mr. Sozlet could head out in the dead of night with a full bladder...

Of course, rain will dispell the scent, but perhaps Mr. Sozlet can be trained?
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 08:58 am
Check this site for some ideas (click photo)

http://www.gardensablaze.com/HouseNow.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 09:45 am
Very cool site neko, thanks!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 10:18 am
Saw this and wanted to plonk it somewhere, this seems to be my default gardening thread (I have a bunch, don't I?)

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/05/01/science/02obox.190.jpg

Quote:
Observatory
Garlic Mustard Casts a Pall on the Forest

By HENRY FOUNTAIN
Published: May 2, 2006

In drama, the uninvited visitor is a common plot device. Everyone is getting along swimmingly until a new character arrives and upsets the apple cart. Things quickly fall apart.

Garlic mustard, a tall weed native to Europe that was introduced to the United States in the late 1800's, is a bit like that uninvited visitor. Researchers have found that it disrupts a healthy relationship between hardwood tree seedlings and soil fungi, with results that can be disastrous for a forest.

Like other scientists, Kristina A. Stinson, who studies invasive plants as a research associate at the Harvard Forest, Harvard's ecology and conservation research center in Petersham, Mass., had noticed that native trees suffered in the presence of garlic mustard. "We thought their dependence on native fungi might play a role," Dr. Stinson said.

Many plants make use of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi, which form an elaborate network of filaments throughout the soil. These fungi are a diverse group, but they all have one thing in common: they help plants take up nutrients from the soil, getting carbon in return.

Garlic mustard is a member of the mustard family, "one of the very few families that do not need to associate with mycorrhizal fungi at all," Dr. Stinson said. These species produce chemicals that have antifungal properties. Native mustards have been around long enough, she suggested, that the mycorrhizal fungi have learned to live with them. But the fungi haven't had time to adapt to garlic mustard. "It basically is killing off the fungi," she said.

In a study using soils from a forest in Ontario, Dr. Stinson and colleagues found that sugar maple and other hardwood seedlings grew much slower when the soil came from an area infested with garlic mustard than from a mustard-free area. The findings are published in the journal Public Library of Science Biology.

In studying invasive species, scientists often see a direct effect. Invasive cane toads in Australia, for example, wipe out snakes and other predators that try to eat them. But garlic mustard displays a mechanism that, so far at least, appears to be unique. "It's really a demonstration of how 'the enemy of my friend is also my enemy,' " Dr. Stinson said. By killing fungi, "it's disrupting this longstanding native mutualism."

Garlic mustard has now spread through 30 states, from Maine to Oregon, and into Canada. "When this plant shows up in a forest, the tree species themselves that become the canopy are most at risk," Dr. Stinson said. "That could have tremendous impact by changing the composition of the forest."

While the effect might not be immediate, it will occur nonetheless. "Our experiment was on seedlings," Dr. Stinson said. "But those are the future generations of forests."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/02/science/02observ.html

I'm so glad J_B told me what that stuff was and that I've been busy eradicating it -- nobody around here seems to know about it.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 10:54 am
Exactly what I've been doing for the past two hours - pulling, bagging, and hauling garlic mustard.
0 Replies