Weird thing happened to me today (yesterday)!

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2024 12:13 pm
Nancy and I went shopping yesterday...more to get out of the house than to actually meet any household need. We went to one of those Odd Lot places where you can roam the aisles and see lots of things that you do not need, but that you manage to buy anyway.

I went down one aisle and noticed some non-stick frying pans that had a nice look...picked up one or two and looked 'em over. Nothing special...and I've got more than enough in various sizes in good condition.

This morning I get an email from Amazon with a subject line: "Some things you might like, Frank."

Pictures of a half-dozen non-stick frying pans!

Could be just a coincidence. I've never searched for pots or pans of any kind on line...and neither has Nancy.

Hell of a coincidence, though.

I had my phone in my pocket.

Can retailers actually monitor us that closely...or should I be satisfied with the "coincidence" thingy?

glitterbag

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2024 01:00 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I wish I could call that a coincidence, but I have heard stories from friends and relatives who've experienced the same thing. My MacBook Pro has answered questions it thinks it's heard from the television....it's very weird. I don't like to use verbal commands with the computers or phones, because it seems too weird to me.

The other weird thing is the tv commercials, not only do they last as long as 5 minutes, all I see is commercials for food supplements from 'old' people praising the daylights out their clear minds, terrific memories, improved health yada, yada, yada.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2024 01:43 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I wish I could call that a coincidence, but I have heard stories from friends and relatives who've experienced the same thing. My MacBook Pro has answered questions it thinks it's heard from the television....it's very weird. I don't like to use verbal commands with the computers or phones, because it seems too weird to me.

The other weird thing is the tv commercials, not only do they last as long as 5 minutes, all I see is commercials for food supplements from 'old' people praising the daylights out their clear minds, terrific memories, improved health yada, yada, yada.

I have the same trouble with the commercials...except that I just do not understand half of them. They seem unintelligible to me. But as an old geeer, I figure they mean something to the target audience...of which I am not one.

Too damn many commercials for drugs. Are people supposed to ask their doctors to prescribe things these days.

As for the "coincidence"...I am having a great deal of time accepting that it was. But how in the hell could they possibly be able to figure out what you just are randomly looking at? Is my phone spying on me?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2024 11:17 pm
Frank, I swear I get some pretty specific spam about things I've talked about at home typed about on line.

There is no privacy, so I'd like to take another tact.

If I slant drilled into double clicks oil under their property, I'd be liable at least for some sort of royalty.

How about when they make money mining our information and monitoring our conversation. We deserve a royalty.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2024 06:32 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Frank, I swear I get some pretty specific spam about things I've talked about at home typed about on line.

There is no privacy, so I'd like to take another tact.

If I slant drilled into double clicks oil under their property, I'd be liable at least for some sort of royalty.

How about when they make money mining our information and monitoring our conversation. We deserve a royalty.

Good luck with that.

I know that lots of people want to be compensated for having to do their own check-outs at Walmart.

Oh, well. We can dream.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2024 06:33 am
In any case, it is amazing how quickly ad start coming when you actually search for a particular product.

No more action on my frying pan thingy, though, so perhaps it just was a coincidence.
0 Replies

RPhalange

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2024 08:20 am
They are always listening.

My dog was barking at what appeared to me to be nothing. So I yelled "Sadie! Shut up!" Suddenly I heard my phone respond, "OK". Apparently Siri thought I said "Siri! Shut up!"
0 Replies

PoliteMight

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2024 10:06 am
@Frank Apisa,
Phone is spying on you, or you used your credit/debit card that is connected to your Amazon in some fashion ( like your phone ) and it sent that data back to amazon.

I know what you mean. Sometimes I think the camera and audio is on and could hear the television or even see me naked. Then I see tons of ads about

weight loss and whatever the tv was jabbering about

I know I have something injecting ads in my phone already. I see it on pages not meant to have any ads but they are there so I just do not care.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Weird thing happened to me today (yesterday)!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 05:51:16