Is anyone starting their gardening seeds yet?

Mame

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2024 05:08 pm
I've only started 4 types of onions and 4 types of chili peppers so far - the growing season here for onions is 85-90 days. I'm still using last year's but I'd rather get them from my garden. Should put in some shallots, too.

What will you be growing this year?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 441 • Replies: 5
No top replies

PoliteMight

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2024 11:53 am
@Mame,
I have my onions I put out in water for the tops.
Chili-plant there but I have to fertilize it.
Tomatoes grew quite nice. Maybe some more.
Some neighbor of mind has corn year round. Look into that one-day.
Ginger could be a thing.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2024 06:31 am
@Mame,
Shallots – definitely.

Most of my seeding will begin in April. I know some pretty good growers around here and I usually get seedlings from them; I'm not starting as many as I used to.
Mame

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2024 03:36 pm
@hightor,
I have to find a better way to keep my potatoes over winter. My shed's too cold, my basement's too warm. I think I'll buy some styrofoam and attach it to the outside of a large box (including lid)... and put them in straw. Do you think they might have a chance? I don't want them shrivelling and growing 1' eyes.
hightor

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2024 04:52 am
@Mame,
That's tricky. I don't know if a styrofoam box would work in your climate because it can get so cold. It wouldn't take too long for the interior temperature to equalize with the outdoor temperature if it were much below -20C for a few days. I've heard of people who have basement steps which lead up through an exterior bulkhead using that space, blocking it off from the rest of the basement. What we all need is a real root cellar.
Mame

Reply Thu 29 Feb, 2024 09:49 am
@hightor,
We certainly do need a root cellar! I googled my zone for advice and the styrofoam idea was commonly mentioned. I think I'm going to have to try it - there aren't many options. We get -20C to -30C for up to two weeks at a time, but this year, it was only -20c for a few days... so far. I think for those really cold nights I can go out with a few blankets to keep the extreme cold out... will keep you posted.

My onions are now about 6" high - too long and straggly, too early. <sigh>. But good news - some of my chilies are up - wonder of wonders.
0 Replies