Elderly woman verbally abuses depressed people

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2023 02:36 pm
I know a lady in her 70's from my church who frequently insults and screams at people who she knows suffer from severe mental health conditions like depression and PTSD. I notice she does this to people who she appears to deem shy and passive.

Sometimes she goes off of them in front of 15 other people while her husband, one of the pastors, stands there and watches. Her other relatives basically do nothing as well.

One of her victims told me she has contemplated suicide due to the older lady's passive-aggressive attempts to double down on controlling her each time she stood up for herself.

The irony is that the church preaches humility, kindness etc. and supposedly does not tolerate "screaming and abusive speech," which is part of a quote listed in the Bible. Whenever I bring my concerns to one of the other pastors, they just say, "Oh that's just her personality" or make other excuses or even blame her victims.

I'm thinking of leaving the church because the hypocrisy I often see in there is making me uncomfortable but I know the lady also has depression and other health issues so even though I can't condone her cruel behavior I don't know how much I should hold against her. I feel like I will be the one who is accused of bullying an old lady but the suicide threat really scares me and she seems like she knows to a certain extent what she is doing. This church seems to create a breeding ground in which narcissists and sociopaths are allowed to excel.

Coconuts75

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2023 02:46 pm
Try to remember she's in her 70s. She kind of has a free pass, and has earned her right to act that way lol.
roger

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2023 02:49 pm
@Coconuts75,
No, she hasn't earned that, or anything else.
Mame

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2023 04:34 pm
@Coconuts75,
There's no excuse for any kind of harassment, bullying, or abuse no matter the age.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2023 09:19 pm
She may be displaying depression and the beginnings of dementia herself.
cherrie

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2023 09:37 pm
@Truesigma,
I really think it's time to find a new church.

She's not going to change and no-one there is going to do anything about it. She may well have some mental health issues but that doesn't mean you have to put up with this sort of abuse.
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2023 09:40 pm
@Coconuts75,
Coconuts75 wrote:

Try to remember she's in her 70s. She kind of has a free pass, and has earned her right to act that way lol.

This is absolute nonsense. Being in your 70's doesn't mean you can go around abusing people.

No-one has a 'right' to do this.
0 Replies

RPhalange

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2023 08:21 am
@Truesigma,
Have you ever tried to intervene when this lady begins her bullying behavior? To me, you are as guilty as everyone else if you do not step up and say something when this happens. You can do this kindly understanding this 70 year old may have issues. You can step in and say something like why are you talking to Sammy that way. You know Sammy is really nice and this is hurtful words to her.

Of course she is going to continue acting this way because everyone just ignores it, but she is hurting others. If this 70 year old was whacking someone over the head with her cane you would stop her, right? This is no different, as it is and can be just as hurtful as if she were physically harming someone.

Sometimes it just takes one person to step up and say something before others do as well.

Oh and have you brought up the fact that one of the pastor's church members contemplated suicide as a result of this "harmless" lady's words?

And yeah I would leave the church and invite those that are bullied to go with you.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2023 08:59 am
Again: She may be displaying depression and the beginnings of dementia herself. She may need help.
Truesigma

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2023 07:19 pm
@RPhalange,
I did do that multiple times but it only made matters worse. The church often uses emotional blackmailing tactics such as telling us we will burn in hell forever if we don't forgive her and if we leave. Her family also ganged up on me in her defense, making me the villain and pretty much threatening my own well-being. It looks like that whole group is rife with narcissists and enablers. I think one of the reasons the members have this hear-no-evil-see-no-evil approach is because it's the way they get brainwashed. Leaving is complicated because the other depressed individuals she abuses has family members in the church.
0 Replies

Truesigma

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2023 07:22 pm
@roger,
I think Coconut is just joking.
roger

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2023 08:28 pm
@Truesigma,
Izzat right?
0 Replies

FearlessDiva

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2023 10:30 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
What are the signs or early signs of dementia?
FearlessDiva

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2023 10:54 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
She might need help but she needs to be polite and ask in a peaceful manner.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2023 08:41 pm
@FearlessDiva,
Please reread your post. You are asking a sick person to be un-sick enough to ask for help.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2023 08:48 pm
@FearlessDiva,
You ought to look into obtaining a search engine. It will prove very handy.

https://www.healthline.com › health › dementia › early-warning-signs
Dementia Symptoms: 11 Early Signs to Watch Out For - Healthline
Feb 6, 20231. Subtle short-term memory changes Having trouble with memory can be an early symptom of dementia. The changes are often subtle and tend to involve short-term memory. A person with dementia...

https://www.mayoclinic.org › diseases-conditions › dementia › symptoms-causes › syc-20352013
Dementia - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic
Jun 22, 2023Common symptoms include: Cognitive changes Memory loss, which is usually noticed by someone else. Problems communicating or finding words. Trouble with visual and spatial abilities, such as getting lost while driving. Problems with reasoning or problem-solving. Trouble performing complex tasks. Trouble with planning and organizing.

https://www.mayoclinic.org › diseases-conditions › alzheimers-disease › symptoms-causes › syc-20350447
Alzheimer's disease - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic
Feb 2, 2023About 6.5 million people in the United States age 65 and older live with Alzheimer's disease. Among them, more than 70% are 75 years old and older. Of the about 55 million people worldwide with dementia, 60% to 70% are estimated to have Alzheimer's disease. The early signs of the disease include forgetting recent events or conversations.

https://www.alz.org › alzheimers-dementia › 10_signs
Memory Loss & 10 Early Signs of Alzheimer's | alz.org
One of the most common signs of Alzheimer's disease, especially in the early stage, is forgetting recently learned information.

https://www.nia.nih.gov › health › what-is-dementia
What Is Dementia? Symptoms, Types, and Diagnosis
Dec 8, 2022What are the signs and symptoms of dementia? Signs and symptoms of dementia result when once-healthy neurons (nerve cells) in the brain stop working, lose connections with other brain cells, and die. ... Early detection of symptoms is important as some causes can be successfully treated. However, in many cases, the cause of dementia is unknown ...

https://www.nhs.uk › conditions › dementia › symptoms
Symptoms of dementia - NHS
Common early symptoms of dementia Different types of dementia can affect people differently, and everyone will experience symptoms in their own way. However, there are some common early symptoms that may appear some time before a diagnosis of dementia. These include: memory loss difficulty concentrating

https://www.mayoclinic.org › diseases-conditions › alzheimers-disease › in-depth › memory-loss › art-20046326
Memory loss: When to seek help - Mayo Clinic
May 7, 2022By Mayo Clinic Staff Everyone forgets things at times. Perhaps you misplace your car keys or forget the name of a person you just met. Some degree of memory problems, as well as a modest decline in other thinking skills, is a fairly common part of aging.

https://www.verywellmind.com › what-are-the-early-signs-of-dementia-5120320
Early Signs of Dementia Checklist - Verywell Mind
Feb 4, 2022Confusion, memory loss, and personality changes are just a few of the early signs that a person has dementia, an umbrella term describing the symptoms of several different brain disorders that can interfere with one's ability to live independently.

https://alzheimer.ca › en › about-dementia › do-i-have-dementia › 10-warning-signs-dementia
The 10 warning signs of dementia | Alzheimer Society of Canada
Sign 1: Memory loss that affects day-to-day abilities Are you, or the person you know, forgetting things often or struggling to retain new information? It's normal to occasionally forget appointments, colleagues' names or a friend's phone number only to remember them a short while later.

https://www.cdc.gov › aging › healthybrain › ten-warning-signs.html
10 Warning Signs of Alzheimer's - Centers for Disease Control and ...
2. Challenges in planning or solving problems: having trouble paying bills or cooking recipes you have used for years. 3. Difficulty completing familiar tasks at home, at work, or at leisure: having problems with cooking, driving places, using a cell phone, or shopping. 4. Confusion with time or place: having trouble understanding an event that ...
0 Replies

Truesigma

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2023 10:02 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I know she isn't well but it still doesn't give her a right to take it out on people who she is conscious is already hurting. It's very difficult for me to have sympathy for her when she acts like an animal.
Merliah

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2023 12:19 am
@bobsal u1553115,
BS. We all have problems, it doesn't mean she gets to abuse others to feel better. If someone commits suicide because she is nasty to depressed people she needs to be accountable.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2023 08:08 am
@Truesigma,
Quote:
I know she isn't well but it still doesn't give her a right to take it out on people who she is conscious is already hurting. It's very difficult for me to have sympathy for her when she acts like an animal.

Seems to give to give you the right to judge her ill self.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2023 08:11 am
@Merliah,
Quote:
BS. We all have problems, it doesn't mean she gets to abuse others to feel better. If someone commits suicide because she is nasty to depressed people she needs to be accountable.

So you decide who's illness is a burden and who's illness is a nuisance. Situational ethics trump unconditional love, right?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Elderly woman verbally abuses depressed people
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/30/2024 at 07:09:07