My response to somebodies uneducated attempt to bash god.

Frank Apisa

Sat 8 Jul, 2023 05:39 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Sometimes there's just no cutting the art from the arsehole. This a good example. I used to find him hysterically funny, but there's just too mean of an undercurrent there anymore.

I agree with you. He and others, Bill Maher notably, have gotten so mean-spirted and self-righteous, they might just as well drop the "comedian" title.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sat 8 Jul, 2023 05:40 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
Sometimes there's just no cutting the art from the arsehole.

I'm surprised at your response here. I'm not at all familiar with this Gervais guy and I don't usually care for mean-spirited humor, but I think not being able to separate one's personal distaste from an isolated comment like this rather clever (and not at all snide) analogy is really narrow-minded. You might disagree with it but had hingehead just posted the comment with no attribution you might have dealt with the content instead of just using it as a way to bash a cultural foe. I'm also surprised that you don't appreciate the role that comedians play in shining light on social conflicts which our everyday concern with propriety tries to hide or overlook – and helping us to turn that light inward on our own prejudices and conceits.

In any case, I think attacking "celebrity atheists" as "religious" really misses the point. Atheists aren't attacking religion – I've never heard an atheist trying to demolish the tenets of Taoism or condemning Confucius. Their target has always been the malevolent aspects of the Abrahamic religions in western culture. I don't have to list them. The emergence of public atheists was a response to our society's unquestioned acceptance of christian doctrine leading to things like campaigns to teach "Intelligent Design" in schools, subjugation of women, sexual repression, and widespread discrimination against unbelievers. The "celebrity atheist" thing is over, anyway – like many other internet-inspired cultural movements it was a short-lived phenomenon.

You hit the head on so many nails, I am at a loss to understand how you totally missed this one entirely.
hightor

Sat 8 Jul, 2023 06:29 am
@Frank Apisa,
https://i.imgur.com/NWR94iS.jpeg
fobvius

Sat 8 Jul, 2023 07:42 am
@hightor,
When.

0 Replies

hingehead

Sun 9 Jul, 2023 01:01 am
@izzythepush,
Not disagreeing with you at all.

But if those words were said by anyone else at all would you be accusing me of sitting in an ivory tower?
bobsal u1553115

Sun 9 Jul, 2023 06:22 am
@hightor,
Look into Gervais. You'd get it. I am surprised by how intolerant he's turned out to be. And extreme in his speech about those he dislikes.

Sometimes there's no separating the art from an arsehole, Ricky Gervais is a prime example.
Frank Apisa

Sun 9 Jul, 2023 06:30 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Look into Gervais. You'd get it. I am surprised by how intolerant he's turned out to be. And extreme in his speech about those he dislikes.

Sometimes there's no separating the art from an arsehole, Ricky Gervais is a prime example.

He is a jerk...way too into himself to actually be considered a comedian. So, in my opinion, is Bill Maher.
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 9 Jul, 2023 09:09 am
@bobsal u1553115,
You're missing my point. As I said, I don't care for mean-spirited "comedians". Why would I want to listen to this one – I'll take your word for it that he's a jerk. But I think his analogy is useful. Maybe it's original or maybe he heard it somewhere but it's not a statement of intolerance and I'm surprised you don't see that. If Donald Trump told me my brake light was out I wouldn't simply dismiss it because he's a racist jerk. Hell, I've even given a thumb-up to oralloy when he wrote something I agreed with. (He's pro-vax.)
0 Replies

Wilso

Sun 9 Jul, 2023 10:58 pm
How does one "bash" a fictional character?
fobvius

Sun 9 Jul, 2023 11:44 pm
@Wilso,
Quote:
How does one "bash" a fictional character?

If irreverence is forsaken then kick it in the godhead?

0 Replies

PoliteMight

Mon 17 Jul, 2023 06:33 pm
@hingehead,
We have to ask ourselves when did Atheist became main stream?

I will tell you.

When it was the 1960's and the "Counter-culture" started. It look all friendly with the sexual-revolution but was really a front for homosexuality which was really a front to ignore civil-rights for people of African decent.

They botched the system by the time the 1970's reached and some how atheist came to be.

The only open Atheist I knew of in my entire life was people of Eastern decent in college. Nobody else. Yes their was LGBT but that was because they came from a small-town from some no-name state where Christianity-X was the only real choice of belief and being LGBT and following any other religious belief was "fighting the power dude", and "down with the man" mentalities.

This idea of Atheism is only real as a revenge plot against those who would outcast the LGBT or even be indifferent thanks to WWII, Korean, or Vietnam.
It is like the "Cold-War II" during the 1980's only difference is this is the belief of a higher-power.

Even Buddhist are confused between Hinduism and it's origin. Or the initial usage. They just say "I am a ______" despite being whatever "Religion" ( Western God ).

God is God but the problem is the mentalities and points of view. Guy in Japan literally made headlines when he said "He is a blood decedent of "Jesus" but he is Buddhist" That in itself is a direct attack on the western philosophy of religion along with all grounds/source of atheism .

If mainland people from the far-east ( like China and or Korea ) are atheists why do they still do the mirror thing, or have super-substitution. By that definition they are condemning the western idea of "Religion" and thus are "Atheist".

You have two kinds of Atheists ( As with Judaism and view points of the Gentile ).

Atheists who have a belief system of higher power
Atheists who are brainwashed into believing their is no higher power.

A great example in fiction is the film "Dogma". The very beginning an "angel"
is convincing a nun their is no god and she makes a rapid life decision to change her way of life. That is what atheism is about. Robbing you of god to accept a lesser method of thinking.

A direct attack on our western beliefs.
hingehead

Mon 17 Jul, 2023 10:16 pm
@PoliteMight,
"I've only know one atheist, therefore they are all like the one I knew" and then you decend (see what I did there?) into apocalyptically stupid waffle. Awesome.
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/c2/e6/0c/c2e60c2177decc012932039fb64ef0f5.jpg
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 18 Jul, 2023 02:17 am
@hingehead,
I can separate Gervais the man from his art.

They're both ****.

You don't, by deliberately quoting Gervais you are glorifying in his transphobia and bigotry.

And I'm sure your indigenous neighbours love you quoting white supremacists.

Atheism is a religion, and you are one of it's biggest evangelists.

When the UK census came out you tried to claim those who described themselves as not religious as atheist even though atheism was another choice they could have made.

Gervais is part of your congregation which is why you lick his arse.

I'm not going to waste any more time on a repulsive pseudo Nazi like you.

You and Polite Might desrve each other, you're two sides of the same shitty coin.

You're on ignore.
0 Replies