I killed a man and the world forgives me; I love a man and the world wants to kill me.

Reply Sat 27 May, 2023 02:08 pm
A lyric from an opera I listened to today. It was live from the Met in New York...the story of boxer Emile Griffith. I had the good fortune to meet Emile once at a bar where I worked. My boss, the owner of the bar, introduced us. We sat; had a beer; and talked.

He brought up the killing in that conversation. The young man he killed (in the ring) was Benny "Kid" Paret. I was a bit surprised. When we were introduced and it was apparent we were going to chat for a bit, I resolved never even to hint about the incident...I thought it would be off-limits for Griffith. Obviously it wasn't.

During the opera I discovered that Griffith had a secret that was not widely known back in the day. He was gay...or, as they say in the opera, he was a queer.

The opera is okay...nothing stellar. I'm glad I heard it, but it will not be among my favorites. But that quote struck a nerve with me. Imagine! There are people who would more easily forgive a man for killing another man than for loving another man.

We truly are fucked up. We ought to grow up...or stop considering ourselves to be an intelligent species.

Just sayin'!

hightor

Reply Sun 28 May, 2023 05:48 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
We ought to grow up...or stop considering ourselves to be an intelligent species.

Couldn't agree with you more.
Mame

Reply Sun 28 May, 2023 08:44 am
@hightor,
You took the words and the quote right out of my mouth.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 28 May, 2023 05:44 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emile_Griffith

In 1992, Griffith was viciously beaten and almost killed on a New York City street after leaving a gay bar near the Port Authority Bus Terminal. He was in the hospital for four months after the assault. It was not clear if the violence was motivated by homophobia.[11]

Griffith was bisexual. He was quoted in Sports Illustrated as saying "I like men and women both. But I don't like that word: homosexual, gay or faggot. I don't know what I am. I love men and women the same, but if you ask me which is better ... I like women."[8]
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 29 May, 2023 06:24 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emile_Griffith

In 1992, Griffith was viciously beaten and almost killed on a New York City street after leaving a gay bar near the Port Authority Bus Terminal. He was in the hospital for four months after the assault. It was not clear if the violence was motivated by homophobia.[11]

Griffith was bisexual. He was quoted in Sports Illustrated as saying "I like men and women both. But I don't like that word: homosexual, gay or faggot. I don't know what I am. I love men and women the same, but if you ask me which is better ... I like women."[8]

Yeah, I understand that the homosexual element was emphasized for its audience-attention value.

But the quote has significance in any case. In certain part of the world...including in certain parts of the US...a man could be hated, even killed, for loving another man...but easily forgiven for killing another man.

Our priorities are fucked up.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 29 May, 2023 10:20 am
@Frank Apisa,
Our priorities are screwed up. Not a single LGBT 'right' has ever interfered with any one of my rights.

Emile Griffith was a tough man no matter how one wants to look at him. He had values and was generous to those following him in a very tough trade.
0 Replies

PoliteMight

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2023 10:34 am
@Frank Apisa,
"I killed a man and the world forgives me" could mean that you served in the military, or decided to become a "robot" ( forced labor ) or accepted your position as something less then a animal ( gentile ). Like your born in a processing plant waiting to be annihilated by your medical doctor who gives you a medicine that was "too strong" or a pill that "did not work fast enough" over the injection

"I love a man and the world wants to kill me". Could reference homosexuality, or even loving your own nation rather then looking to other nations. Like taking part in community boards and or even voting in general, to boycotting, and actually saving money.

That could have many meanings. Take my life, I was a person who loved the counter-culture without understand what that is. People did not care because all they saw was a naive young person they were gambling against me.

Now I try to be more proactive and take part in my neighborhood. People in my own area many I grew up with.

The "Candy Shop" I shopped from.
The "Art Store" I shop from.
The "Book store or library" I go to.

All these people see me as a criminal, or homeless, or terrible just beaus I am a decent sized man, with a young appearance with hair on my head.

They hate the fact I talk to girls, I dress up decent and or nice at times, or try to avoid spending money all together. They are upset to see me with somebodies teenage daughter, single mother, or a woman who is more financially equipped or well endowed. They hate seeing me with a belly and associating with such.
They hate seeing me walking down the street laughing like jolly-jack. They are upset because "I look ( again look ) like I am taking care of my self and talk with passiveness and keep trying to make this into a _____ issue. They hate when I dress up decent, have the same shoes they have, the same clothing they have, and especially the kinda girl at my side is looks like there daughter and or wife.

They want me to be unhappy, alone, stupid, without income, and homeless without property. The moment you tell them your greatness and you have barely a shred of age on you they have a grim look on there face.

They do not want you to "Do the Mister Rogers" and sing the "It is a wonderful day in the neighborhood, you and I, just you and I" song, or the Jiggy, jiggy
Money dance, with hair on your head, flocking out with curls, or straights.

They want you to shave your head bald, run around in circles and act as if the world is so terrible.

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2023 10:39 am
@PoliteMight,
PoliteMight wrote:

"I killed a man and the world forgives me" could mean that you served in the military, or decided to become a "robot" ( forced labor ) or accepted your position as something less then a animal ( gentile ). Like your born in a processing plant waiting to be annihilated by your medical doctor who gives you a medicine that was "too strong" or a pill that "did not work fast enough" over the injection

"I love a man and the world wants to kill me". Could reference homosexuality, or even loving your own nation rather then looking to other nations. Like taking part in community boards and or even voting in general, to boycotting, and actually saving money.

In the context of lyrics of a song in an opera about Emile Griffith it has the meaning the lyricist wanted it to have.

Quote:

That could have many meanings. Take my life, I was a person who loved the counter-culture without understand what that is. People did not care because all they saw was a naive young person they were gambling against me.

Now I try to be more proactive and take part in my neighborhood. People in my own area many I grew up with.

The "Candy Shop" I shopped from.
The "Art Store" I shop from.
The "Book store or library" I go to.

All these people see me as a criminal, or homeless, or terrible just beaus I am a decent sized man, with a young appearance with hair on my head.

They hate the fact I talk to girls, I dress up decent and or nice at times, or try to avoid spending money all together. They are upset to see me with somebodies teenage daughter, single mother, or a woman who is more financially equipped or well endowed. They hate seeing me with a belly and associating with such.
They hate seeing me walking down the street laughing like jolly-jack. They are upset because "I look ( again look ) like I am taking care of my self and talk with passiveness and keep trying to make this into a _____ issue. They hate when I dress up decent, have the same shoes they have, the same clothing they have, and especially the kinda girl at my side is looks like there daughter and or wife.

They want me to be unhappy, alone, stupid, without income, and homeless without property. The moment you tell them your greatness and you have barely a shred of age on you they have a grim look on there face.

They do not want you to "Do the Mister Rogers" and sing the "It is a wonderful day in the neighborhood, you and I, just you and I" song, or the Jiggy, jiggy
Money dance, with hair on your head, flocking out with curls, or straights.

They want you to shave your head bald, run around in circles and act as if the world is so terrible.

Sounds interesting...although you sound rather jaded when you speak of what others want.

Enjoy life.

This is not a dress rehearsal.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I killed a man and the world forgives me; I love a man and the world wants to kill me.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 06:21:45