Cable Television/ Time Delay

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 09:21 pm
I noticed something fascinating this evening. In the room where my computer is located, I have a TV, which is connected directly to cable. When the door is open, I can see the TV in the living room. That TV is connected through the cable box, so that we can receive the higher numbered channels.

This evening, I was at the computer, and my husband was in the living room watching TV. What he was watching sounded interesting, so I asked him what channel he was watching. I turned on that channel, and noticed that apparently the two TVs were broadcasting two different pictures.

When I investigated, I found that the set that received the cable signal directly was at least 5 seconds ahead of the set that received the signal through the cable box.

Interesting, huh! Anybody care to explain why this happens?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,435 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 05:50 am
It happens so that live shows can be edited if something is said that is against the code of ethics.
The Janet Jackson episonde at the Super Bowl would not have been televised if this had been in place. That is the reason that it is now in place.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 07:05 am
Intrepid wrote:
It happens so that live shows can be edited if something is said that is against the code of ethics.
The Janet Jackson episonde at the Super Bowl would not have been televised if this had been in place. That is the reason that it is now in place.

Intrepid- I don't think that you read my post. The TV that was hooked in directly to the cable showed the material about five seconds sooner than the material that was coming through the cable box, on the other TV.

I think that what we have here is that it takes the cable box time to process the material, before it sends it out to the TV. I don't know exactly how this happens, so that is why I mentioned it.

I don't think that the phenomenon has anything to do with editorializing.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 08:46 am
Intrepid...Phoenix is not talking about a time delay of the sort you are suggesting.

Obviously just mechanics of some sort, Phoenix. I know that cable and dishes have a time differential of a few seconds...something to do with transmitting the signal to a satellite and back on the part of the dish.

Maybe there is some kind of mechanical disadvantage to using the cable box...versus directly to the cable for the local channels.

Hope you find out what it is.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 08:51 am
Similar happens, when I switch my car radio from digital to normal anologue: the digital receiver seem to get the signal seconds later than his analogue 'brother'.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 08:59 am
What? How do you guys know that Intrepid is wrong about this? It's true. The newer cable boxes have a delay built into them because of the Janet Jackson thing. I just learned this on Thursday, because I had a new service hooked up in my home, and the cable guy turned off my cable and it took a few seconds for the on-screen image to go off. I asked him about it and he explained that they had a delay built into all the cable boxes now so that they can avoid another Janet Jackson episode.

He also told me he's been doing this for over ten years...I would think he knows what he's talking about.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 09:05 am
FrankApisa wrote:
Maybe there is some kind of mechanical disadvantage to using the cable box...versus directly to the cable for the local channels.

I know from my years of living with an audiophile that the more electronics between the source material and the output, the more the degradation of the signal. It is hard to compare the two TVs, because they are of two very different sizes (19" vs. 50") but a casual glance would tell you that the little TV has a sharper image.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 09:17 am
kickycan wrote:
What? How do you guys know that Intrepid is wrong about this? It's true. The newer cable boxes have a delay built into them because of the Janet Jackson thing. I just learned this on Thursday, because I had a new service hooked up in my home, and the cable guy turned off my cable and it took a few seconds for the on-screen image to go off. I asked him about it and he explained that they had a delay built into all the cable boxes now so that they can avoid another Janet Jackson episode.

He also told me he's been doing this for over ten years...I would think he knows what he's talking about.

Thank you Kicky. It is probably that those who disputed what I said are used to doing that in the political and religious forums and have just proven that THEY do not either understand or accept what they read.
:wink:
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 09:20 am
Rolling Eyes

Intrepid- One more time. I said that with the TV that was hooked in directly to the to the cable, the signal came in at least five seconds sooner. So what you are saying is that people with cable boxes will get the "benefit" of censorship, while people w/o won't? Does that make a lot of sense???
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 09:28 am
kickycan wrote:

And they have someone in a room somewhere watching all the live shows ready to push a button to stop the "offensive" matter from coming in????

Pretty cagy of them!

C'mon.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 09:43 am
Hey, I'm just telling you what the cable guy told me. I'd go look for proof out on the net somewhere, but I don't really care that much. I'll bow out now and leave the great "five-second delay" mystery for you guys to figure out. :wink:
0 Replies