Why Sell Drugs That Kill ?

gollum

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2023 01:13 pm
Many Americans are dying from overdoses of illegal drugs (e.g., fentanyl). Much of the fentanyl comes from the People's Republic of China.

Why would a seller of a high-profit item try to kill its customers?

Is China's goal to maximize its profits, or is it to maximize the harm to the United States?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,013 • Replies: 10
No top replies

engineer

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2023 02:43 pm
@gollum,
Fentanyl isn't always deadly. I imagine the cost-benefit analysis says that losing a few is some the overall benefit to the manufacturer.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2023 02:59 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

Is China's goal to maximize its profits, or is it to maximize the harm to the United States?

I've actually wondered about this myself. Is China engineering an addicted world? Seriously. They are manufactured in China (and thankfully, much is caught at various borders), but this is perhaps yet another insidious way to grab global control, screw up major countries, etc. It's not just the USA, but other G7 countries have this problem.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2023 04:31 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

Many Americans are dying from overdoses of illegal drugs (e.g., fentanyl). Much of the fentanyl comes from the People's Republic of China.

Why would a seller of a high-profit item try to kill its customers?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Boomeritis strikes again. You already asked this question. Just asked with a sharper point.

Why are you assuming that the People's Republic of China is legally sanctioning these illegal drug sales? You're barely implying the accusation.

Quote:
or is it to maximize the harm to the United States?

What Trumpian/QAnon news source did you get this conspiracy from? Or did you pull and its bigoted warped originality out of your ass?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Mame

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2023 05:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
What makes you sure you know it's not happening, tsar? Did we always know about Chinese infiltrations, balloons, university student harassments and intimidations, etc etc etc? Do you think you're aware of everything that's going on?

Take a look at the number of addictions and deaths and where they're originating and being sent to ... yeah, the drugs are originating in China, shipped to other countries (e.g. via Mexico) and addicting US and G7 countries. This is not a conspiracy theory - read up about it. They're not being sent to the Caribbeans, Africa, Estonia, Belarus, Latvia, Albania, etc. They're being sent to where they can achieve the most damage.

Why have we forbidden Huawei and now TikTok? Is it all coming out of the ether?

Don't be so hasty to dismiss the possibilities of China subversion.

Every day we read about the number of fentanyl and carfantnyl (and now even worse) deaths, primarily in Australia, the UK, Canada, and the US.

Figure it out for yourself. Read a graph. Ask yourself where are the deaths the highest and where is this drug originating.

hightor

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2023 10:34 am
@Mame,
Quote:
They're being sent to where they can achieve the most damage.

They're probably being sent to where they can make the most money. It wouldn't make sense to sell them in poor countries when big profits can be made in wealthier societies. I doubt the Chinese government is directing this trade, although various officials probably look the other way when it comes to trying to control these independent businesses.
Mame

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2023 11:00 am
@hightor,
Perhaps the government is not directing it. I really don't know. It's just a feeling, but that they aren't doing much (if anything) to stop it implies complicity to me.

I am not a conspiracy theorist and it feels weird to be feeling this way, but since the 2008 issue with the cement in baby food that was exported to the US (and presumably elsewhere), I've been more alert about China. I read the other day that many Chinese babies died from this baby food at the time and there was a national outrage, so I don't believe it was directed at foreign babies.

I just feel differently about the drug issue because it's so pervasive, addictive, and deadly.
hightor

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2023 12:18 pm
@Mame,
I agree that it's not a country that inspires confidence as far as humanitarian concerns go.

I suppose the libertarian take on it would be, "These are customers and there's a huge demand for the product."
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2023 03:19 am
@Mame,
I think it's a mixture of lax regulation, corruption and general criminality.

People even forge eggs and sell those down the market.

If it was deliberately directed at the West they wouldn't want to kill anyone, they'd make them dependent on long term care and tie up a whole bunch of people.
coluber2001

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2023 01:40 pm
The profit motive is very strong and the end results are not taken into consideration. This is the same case with Fox "News" where profit was the only consideration with no thought of presenting true news. Their admitted lies-presented-as-truth only served as exhortations and reinforcements to the right wing insurrectionists' delusions.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2023 01:53 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

If it was deliberately directed at the West they wouldn't want to kill anyone, they'd make them dependent on long term care and tie up a whole bunch of people.

That's a good point.
0 Replies