Homelessness

OperaGhost

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 06:39 pm
sunlover,

That sounds like a great program. Do you happen to know of anything like that in the southern New England area? We have Salvation Armies and stuff like that but they don't give anything to the homeless as far as I'm aware.
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 09:19 pm
OperaGhost, we lived in Massachusetts and Rhode Island for about 8 years and, no, I don't recall anything like the Caring Place here in TX but then I wasn't looking either.

Texas has many ways to assist people but there are a lot of people needing help here.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 12:37 pm
this is true. The homeless population here in austin is huge!
but then again... so is the city.

What other places are there like that here in austin?
I know of a fwe , but it doesnt seem like they get alot of exposure / coverage ?
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 06:12 pm
I come into contact with homeless people on a regular basis, and while I hate to generalize, a large percentage of these people are in their situation on their own volition. Obviously drugs, alchohol, and mental status are a contributing factor, but...?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 07:54 pm
This is true.
Alot of people just ' accept' their situation and do nothing to move,only survive.
Quite frankly, life is easier and a part of me doesnt blame them one bit.

There is a huge percentage of homeless people who are mentally incapable of going ant farther with their lives. Certain mental problems/disabilities make it hard to even hold a job. Not to mention maintain their own hygiene. If you were to break the homeless population down in a pie for reasons people are homeless and have it consisting of Drunk/or drug addicts, Situations beyond control ( ie fires, lay offs etc..) , mental issues , and well.. Just not wanting to.. My personal projection would be -

Situations beyond control - 30%
Mental issues 25%
Drug issues - 15%
Just not wanting to = 30%

But again.. this is just my personal projection.
In no way are my percentages based on any known facts.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 08:29 pm
I was homeless in DC for the better part of a year, some years back. I will never be able to be casually dismissive of homeless people.
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 08:48 pm
Sad thing is once someone is totally homeless it's difficult to assist them as they just don't come around places that could give them free items. I know 2 places here (in and around Austin) where needy people can receive money for kids' school shoes, free clothing for job interviews, furniture to get started, but how does that help someone on the street or under a bridge. All we can do there is give them a small box of canned goods.

I've never been homeless but I spent several years in a children's home here in Texas. None of us there wanted for anything, donations were huge as was money, from churches or whatever. For some reason I've had a certain dream over the years though where I was "lost" in that I either didn't have a car or had no keys, and had lost my purse. God, the feeling is terrifying as if I'm nobody.

Snood, what did you finally do to actually change your situation? If you don't mind answering.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 10:39 pm
I was able to allow my mother to help me. I was schizo, and strung out on drugs and alcohol, and I got pheumonia from being exposed so much.
I was able to get clean and sober, and become productive and coherent. I give a lot of credit to God, because I don't believe I could have done everything I've done since then without some help from someone bigger than me.
0 Replies

OperaGhost

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 10:54 pm
Snood, it's great to see that you were able to be helped. It's always great to hear of people who can make their lives better. Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 11:06 pm
Seeing the homeless really does something to me. I feel sad and helpless. I think of how awful it must be not to have a home.

Just the thought makes me sad :-(

Snood
I'm so glad you found your way :-D
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 08:33 pm
Snood, you have a good mother and she never gave up on you. Maybe it can be said another way: She gave you love, from birth -- not a small thing, not a small thing at all.
0 Replies

javi

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 01:56 pm
Im really glad for u Snood! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

But I think we're all missing out on something.
You're all talking about how unlucky they are, and how bad it is, and its the government fault, etc.

But, what can WE do to help Question Question

My point is, should we just stand with our arms crossed and sadly shake our heads??Or stop giving money to those lying on the street just because we think they'll waste it on drugs or alcohol??

I don't mean anything negative, I'm just really asking what we can do to help.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 02:08 pm
well, when you give them money, what are they supposed to do with it?
save up for that plumbing project in their box on 4th street?Laughing

I hear alot of people say that. " I am not going to give a homeless person money, they will just waste it on fast food, drugs, alcohol"

well, they SURE dont have any bills to spend that money on.....
That 2.50 cents you just gave them aint gonna buy clothes...

( im not speaking directly to you javi.. Laughing Im just making a blanket statement )

i do agree with you.
what IS there to do?
Help? well. . people have been 'heloing'for years and nothing is changing. So something must be wrong.
But where to start?
0 Replies