Is it possible to use OpenPose output of x and y coordinates to detect rotating movement?

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2023 08:21 am
I did some research on OpenPose and the output is x and y coordinates with confidence point. x and y coordinates are good for detecting up, down, left, and right movements. I was wondering is it possible to detect turning movements. Turning usually happens on the z axis. Is there a way to tell if body part has rotated 180 degrees with x and y coordinate.

I had few ideas like calculating the slope of the hand line. The slope tells us if the hand is tilted or not. If the slope is high or very low then the hand has rotated. Same concept for all other body parts. But I don't think that will work in all cases. Please check 2nd figure here https://cmu-perceptual-computing-lab.github.io/openpose/web/html/doc/md_doc_02_output.html to understand output of OpenPose.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 284 • Replies: 1
No top replies

engineer

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2023 09:24 am
@kingofjong834,
The simple way would be to look at one point (say a finger point) relative to another point (say the hand). If you are restricted to looking at one point in isolation, I think you should use the second derivative (the slope of the line is the first derivative, so you want to see the change in slope over time). This would work even better if you could normalize your data to a fixed, central position, so your position data is a distance from the approximate center of rotation.
0 Replies