Oh boy, sleep! That's where I'm a viking!

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2022 06:21 am
This has been discussed on a few different forums now so I'm interested to see A2K's opinion on this discussion.

In season 7, episode 5 of The Simpsons: Lisa The Vegetarian, Miss Hoover tells Ralph Wiggum to lay his head on the desk and go to sleep.

At this point, Ralph said "Oh boy, sleep! That's where I'm a viking!" and goes to sleep:

It seems over the years there have been two different interpretations as to what Ralph means by this:

1. Literal - when he goes to sleep, he dreams that he is a viking
2. Metaphorical - Ralph is so good at sleep, he can conquer it (like a viking)

Now I've always been on Team Literal, Ralph Wiggum doesn't seem like the kind that would understand metaphors or be able to use them. Most seem to agree with me too, as it seems to be an 80/20 split on Literal vs Metaphorical.

BUT when looking at the translations into German, Spanish, French, and Italian - ALL of them translate the line to mean metaphorical. (For example, the German says "I am a viking in this regard" and the French gets rid of vikings altogether, saying "I am very strong at this")

A youtuber that reviews the Simpsons put this question to the writers, who confirmed they meant it in a literal way: Ralph dreams of being a viking. However the waters were muddied further when ANOTHER writer stated that they laughed at the joke when it was pitched because they understood it as metaphorical.

My question is what is A2K's stance on this completely pointless debate that's been spanning decades online?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 345 • Replies: 2
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2022 06:27 am
I thought he changed genders to Vi(olet) King.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2022 02:58 pm
I don’t profess to have the intellectual acumen to address this perfidiously, so I hope you will bear with me.

Viewing the story as complete in itself (non-reductionist)
Is like seeking deep messages and themes without focusing on literal truth whilst trying to feel the intent of the author by allowing a story to speak to you on a personal level.

If you consider sand is solid water, I suggest that is a metaphor. Whereas if you think it has the sweetest smell in the world, it is to be considered pure hyperbole.

In the audio he (or she as Ralph was previously known as Raphaela ) can clearly be heard to say, “ ... That’s where I’m hiking.” Thereby referring to sleep walking.

There’re however a cohort of Trump supporters that stubbornly maintain that he said, “ … That’s where I won the election”. Thereby referring to dreamland.

Only a journey in esotericism, which has been considered as a paradigm for the various stages of conscience transition will the answer become manifest.

Ludus, paro, par.
0 Replies