Honest Question about ASD and Vaccines

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2022 02:49 pm
I'm going to preface with two things. 1- I'm not interested in personal attacks and fights, so keep it to science-based answers. 2- I'm not anti-vax. My kids are all up on their vaccines.

That said, I'm seeing a lot of articles online saying that there is no evidence linking ASD and vaccines as reasoning for saying there isn't a link and these articles are usually quite antagonistic to any notion that suggests otherwise. Lack of known connection does not mean there is not, it just makes it less likely assuming a great deal of research has been done. What I'm interested in is whether anyone has produced evidence to clearly show what causes ASD and actively show that vaccines cannot cause it.

The CDC has published data showing ASD rates bumping from 1 in 150 (observed in 2000) to 1 in 44 (observed in 2018) https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/data.html so something is causing diagnosed ASD rates to climb substantially. That is a significant climb. I don't know the answer to my question and as I stated, I'm certainly not antivax, but I also want evidence to justify the position rather than veiled ad hominem attacks against anyone who would suggest otherwise.

engineer

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2022 03:20 pm
@objecttothis,
Childhood vaccines started being very widespread in the late 60s and early 70s, so the data in 2000 already has a fully vaccinated population in it. That hasn't changed from 2000 to today. What has changed is awareness of ASD and willingness of parents to seek medical help. As to what you are seeking, you cannot ever prove a negative. There have been many studies showing no link, but all of these studies that say "no statistical correlation" have margins for error. When taken together, they make a very compelling argument that vaccines are safe. (You can find these studies online.) What you can prove is a positive, but no one has been able to do that. Despite the topic being extensively investigated, there are no serious studies linking ASD to vaccines.
0 Replies