Ye (the artist previously known as Kanye)

hightor

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2022 03:19 am
Headline on Nov 1st:

Call It 'Karma' - Taylor Swift Passes Kanye West In Terms Of Net Worth

"Ye" isn't even mentioned.

engineer

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2022 08:25 am
@hightor,
And I find that disrespectful. His name is no longer Kanye West. I have noticed that NPR seems to be trying to make the switch with uneven results. Example
hightor

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2022 08:41 am
@engineer,
Most USAmericans don't have a single syllable as their full name. ("Cher" is the only one that comes to mind.) So saying "Yay" in a broadcast might confuse people. I don't think it's disrespectful to explain who you're referring to if people may not be familiar with the name change. If the clown remains on the national stage for a while longer it may not be necessary to give the backstory. But then again, he might change his name again!
Mame

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2022 08:47 am
@hightor,
I don't understand why he had to change it since it's a part of his name anyway. It's like you saying, "Call me Tor". If he just referred to himself as Ye, it'd have the same purpose. He could also say, "My pronoun is Ye" - that might be more effective in this day and age Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2022 09:37 am
As we all know, "a rose by any other name smells as sweet."
0 Replies

RPhalange

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2022 10:45 am
@hightor,
Prince
Mame

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2022 10:51 am
@RPhalange,
Pink, Sting, Slash, Seal, Drake...
hightor

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2022 10:58 am
@Mame,
I never heard of them, other than Sting. Did he legally change his name from
Gordon Matthew Thomas Sumner? Drake is a name and the others are all recognizable as words. "Cher" and "Ye" (pronounced yay), not that much.
Mame

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2022 11:01 am
@hightor,
Seal was married to Heidi Klum. Pink is well-known. I don't know about legal name-changes... I thought we were just talking about singers with one syllable names,
roger

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2022 11:19 am
I notice Facebook changed it's name to Meta, or something like that. Almost daily, we have new members asking for help with Facebook. Don't recall a single one asking about Meta. I'm guessing people don't adapt quickly to name changes.
RPhalange

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2022 11:36 am
@RPhalange,
Oh no, Prince actually changed his name to a symbol, yep, to some symbol that was known as the Love Symbol and then was referred to as The Artist Formerly Known as Prince.

Not sure if this was just for the stage or legal. But there are all sorts out there.

And all those names mentioned with the one syllable are well known performers, I think you are just kind of old or completely out of it. Prince for instance is considered one of the greatest musicians and Drake is considered the highest-certified digital singles artist.
Mame

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2022 11:37 am
@roger,
Old habit die hard, I guess. My teenaged nephew recently changed his name and I had to write it on my bulletin board so I wouldn't forget. And a friend's daughter is now Kevin. With so many changing their genders and names, it's hard to keep up. I guess I'm going to have to add a pronouns column.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2022 12:27 pm
@roger,
The company changed its name but you still log into Facebook.
roger wrote:

I notice Facebook changed it's name to Meta, or something like that. Almost daily, we have new members asking for help with Facebook. Don't recall a single one asking about Meta. I'm guessing people don't adapt quickly to name changes.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2022 02:26 pm
@Mame,
I don't know who Heidi Klum is! I've seen the name in print but never in a context that made me want to know more about this person. Never heard of "Pink".
Mame

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2022 02:31 pm
@hightor,
lol not important, anyway
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2022 02:41 pm
@RPhalange,
Quote:
And all those names mentioned with the one syllable are well known performers, I think you are just kind of old or completely out of it.

I'll admit to being "kind of old" but I resent being told I'm "completely out of it" just because I don't know who a bunch of pop stars are. You know, there actually are people, even well-informed people, who eschew some aspects of popular culture. I'm not interested in video games nor do I listen to contemporary music. I might even know a few things about musical genres that you don't listen to – but that wouldn't lead me to accuse you of being "completely out of it".
RPhalange

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2022 05:13 pm
@hightor,
And lacking a sense of humor.
Mame

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2022 05:19 pm
@hightor,
That was a bit rude, and unlike RP's usual responses. The questions which annoy me in the NY Times crossword involve rappers, contemporary singers (I couldn't name a Beyonce, Rhianna or JZ song), actors and video games - I mean, does this age group even do crosswords??
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2022 04:06 am
@RPhalange,
Quote:
And lacking a sense of humor.

You mean you were joking all this time? I guess you have a point!
RPhalange

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2022 08:30 am
@hightor,
I work with people of all different ages, we frequently joke around on stuff like this all the time. Us younger ones also get almost like what you were saying. In the end we all get along as long as we don't take anyone too seriously.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/14/2024 at 06:52:16