PLEASE, DO NOT SENT ANY MORE PRESENTS !

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 07:23 pm
please, do not sent any more presents to the canadian side. we have enough manure on site to last us a lifetime. hbg
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kingston keeps an eye on a huge manure spill moving its way
Last Updated Mon, 15 Aug 2005 06:54:07 EDT
CBC News
People in the city of Kingston are keeping watch on the movement of a huge manure spill moving toward Ontario from New York State.

The manure came from a dairy farm about 50 kilometres from the south shore of Lake Ontario.

The holding wall keeping the manure in a lagoon collapsed, allowing 11 million litres of cow waste to enter into Black River, which feeds into Lake Ontario.

Kingston, a city of about 113,000 people, is about 60 kilometres northwest of Black River Bay.

Even if the manure were to reach the Kingston area, the Ontario environment ministry said the waste would be diluted and easily handled by the city's normal treatment process. Unlike an oil slick, manure would dissipate in the water.

The spill has been blamed for killing hundreds of thousands of fish in the Black River system.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

p.s. if my postings are somewhat smelly, don't blame me, blame our friends on the new york side of lake ontario.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 443 • Replies: 4
No top replies

squinney

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 07:27 pm
You'll probably find that your garden thrives after watering, now. Be sure to get some before and after pics for us.

(Some folks pay big bucks to turn that manure into fuel. Hmmff. And you scoff at our gift!)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 07:29 pm
Fort Drum's not too far from the source.

If Snood gets posted there, we can ask him for the scoop on this.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 07:43 pm
he better take a scoop along - a large one. hbg

ps. had planned to visit watertown this weekend, maybe we better postpone our visit.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 08:19 pm
Ahh, the Black River. Having misspent a goodly part of my youth at Fort Drum (back in the days when it was called Camp Drum), I can assure you there has always been an inordinate amount of manure there -- from bulls, horses and chickens.
0 Replies