Dimensions...

Saff

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 10:50 am
1st dimension: a line
2nd dimension: a square
3rd dimension: a cube (3D)
4th dimension: time

From what I understand, we encompass all the known dimensions. According to m/string theory there are 11/10 dimensions. Everything after the 4th dimension can only be proven mathematically and are too small to observe.

discuss....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 572 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Saff

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 11:57 am
bump
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 01:08 pm
I watched a Nova special on string theories once. It was written so that a lay person could understand it. It was still so far above my head I would have had to watch it twice to understand what they were saying.

But from what I gather it isn't that the other dimensions are to small to observe, but that they are so different from the other dimensions that our minds can't comprehend them.

It sounds very interesting though... check out a video called "What the Bleep do we know?" I think Blockbuster carries it. It talks about quantum physics and how our reality is what we make it out to be. It wasn't string theory but it sounded very related.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 02:20 pm
So what is string theory made of. How does a string theory differ from a particle theory? Get the scoop here!

A string walks into a bar with a few friends and orders a beer. The bartender says, "I'm sorry, but we don't serve strings here."

The string walks away a little upset and sits down with his friends. A few minutes later he goes back to the bar and orders a beer. The bartender, looking a little exasperated, says, "I'm sorry, we don't serve strings here."

So the string goes back to his table. Then he gets an idea. He ties himself in a loop and messes up the top of his hair. Then he walks back up to the bar and orders a beer.

The bartender squints at him and says, "Hey, aren't you a string?"

And the string says, "Nope, I'm a frayed knot."

quod erat demonstrandum
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 02:21 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

g day

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 12:26 am
A person says something trivial, Then they say 4 known fats and asks for a deep discussion of one of the most complex and critical areas of theoretical physics.

Discuss!

How about a bit more effort on your part before you open up SuSy or M-theory. At what level do you want this pitched. How far does your understanding go so we are not recovering what you already know?

Do you want a laymen dicussion, a university students views or doctoral level focus?
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 05:44 pm
I'd like a lay discussion.

I mean, I'm not, a scientist. My personality type is more along the likes of "That's really neat!......................................................................................................
WOW! THAT'S REALLY NEAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Now what can we make with it, type of engineering personality.

But yeah! I like a layman's discussion of string dimensions.

BTW I even have an application. I've always wanted an n-dimensional tesseract so I could find a door into summer from anytime.

Rap
0 Replies