Steel, zinc, or aluminum plate of ‘The Tragedy’?

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2022 10:40 pm
I received, as a gift, a copy of ‘The Tragedy’ in a stunning frame of polished aluminum. Attached is a small metal plate that states “PICASSO Mendigos a orillas del mar 1.903”. Although under glass, it is clearly a metal plate and is extremely lightweight, so I’m guessing it is either aluminum or zinc, but could be steel-plated.
Any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 359 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2022 11:03 pm
@dzignguy9,
My first and only though is that I never heard of steel being used as a source of plating.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2022 09:46 am
@roger,
My thought, which I admit is a little off the wall, is that plates is Cockney rhyming slang for feet, plates of meat.
0 Replies

dzignguy9

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2022 11:12 pm
@roger,
Something I read about Picasso’s “Saltimbanque Suite” at Christies.com, regarding Ambroise Vollard’s purchase of them in 1914. (https://www.christies.com/features/Picasso-prints-guide-10144-1.aspx)

“The works went largely unnoticed, though, until the art dealer Ambroise Vollard set eyes on them six years later. Having bought the plates from Picasso, he published them in editions of 250 each.
“That was an unusually large number and revealed the faith Vollard had in his protégé. It was such a large number, in fact, that the dealer had the plates steel-faced (coated with a thin layer of steel) to prevent them from wearing out.”

Understanding, of course, that the Saltimbanque Suite did not include “The Tragedy”… I guess I should have said “Steel-coated” or “steel-faced”. 🤓
0 Replies

dzignguy9

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2022 02:10 pm
@dzignguy9,
Bueller? Bueller?
Anyone else?
Pablo? Pablo?
0 Replies