Do hot peppers lose their potency when frozen?

Mame

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2022 02:48 pm
I ask because I made beef samosas today and we love them super hot. I put in two green and two red Thai chilis, a red jalapeño and a ghost pepper (for 1 lb of beef). It was mild. So I added 5 more ghost peppers and it's still not hot. All the peppers except the jalapeño were frozen. I had to add cayenne powder to amp up the heat. So I'm thinking they lose their heat when frozen. Does anyone else have any experience with this? Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 318 • Replies: 8
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2022 03:26 pm
@Mame,
I can't imagine how the frozen state of the pepper would negate the peppers level of capsaicin, the source of heat for peppers.
Mame

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2022 08:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
Well, either my husband and I have Covid and now have no sense of taste or they lose their potency when frozen. 11 chili peppers for a pound of meat and 6 of those are 2" ghost peppers?!

Maybe using dried would have been better.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2022 01:16 am
@Mame,
I don't know, but I don't eat meat samosas.

In Southampton many newsagents and small corner shops ars owned by people of Indian descent and samosas a readily available.

They're so much better than those sold in supermarkets, but they tend to be meat or vegetable and the meat ones are all lamb.

I can't abide lamb so I always have veggie.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2022 05:24 am
@Mame,
Question: how long were they frozen? I can’t imagine they’d lose much strength unless it was frozen for maybe 3-6 months or so.
Mame

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2022 08:41 am
@Ragman,
Oh, much longer than that, Ragman. I freeze them because you can't always get them and you can't buy them singly. I think I'm going to have to throw them into the Green Bin and buy fresh.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2022 08:53 am
@Mame,
I have a friend on the West Coast, I'll ask him....get back to you later.
Mame

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2022 09:27 am
@glitterbag,
Thanks, GB....wait! You have a friend?

Shocked Cool
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2022 01:48 pm
So I used Serenna's Samosa Wrappers which are pretty much like making your own dough. They have the feel of a wonton wrapper but are much flakier. One package of 25 wrappers is good for 2 lbs of filling.

I just made them and while not as 'hot spicy' as I would like, they're edible. I think the Tbsp of cayenne is what gave it the heat, not the peppers.

If anyone's interested in making Indian food, check out a youtube site featuring Manjula. That's where I got my samosa dough recipe. Using the wrappers is faster and they taste just the same. And they're inexpensive.
0 Replies