The Bear Hits A Setback

ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 07:56 pm
Noddy, that is useful info. It might speak to the pov of docs who don't tell the patients about this - though some may.

But, it is a possible thing to look into...

Well, what do I know. I'm perplexed/worried/aggravated.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 08:25 pm
Article in this week's New Yorker about all this health care stuff:

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/050829fa_fact
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 08:39 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Today I talked with a friend who had an emergency gall bladder operation a year and a half ago. She said her surgeon said that her post op pain was due in part to the number of nerves that are severed in an abdominal operation.

Like an amputee having phantom pain in the missing limb, you may be having phantom pain from nerves that are no longer connected to their original receptors.

Well, fer Chrissakes, if that were the case, wouldn't SOMEBODY have told him?!

I had phantom pain after my appendectomy, but it only lasted a week or so. It's been a friggin' MONTH for Bear. So I'm more inclined to think it's NOT phantom pain, but something much more serious.

And.....NO, BEAR, I HAVE NOT CALMED DOWN BY NOW. HAVE YOU CALLED YOUR DOCTOR'S 24-HR. LINE YET??? IF NOT, WHY NOT!!!

NO, MY SHIFT KEY IS NOT STUCK. I AM SHOUTING!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 09:05 pm
I'm just relaying information.

I know phantom pain in an amputated limb can manifest for years.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 11:24 pm
I had 2 fingers blown off many years ago, I have lots of pain in the arm beyond where i no longer have any feeling. Once in a while itll start itching on my shoulder and that too is a phantom.
Waht the hell kinda surgeon did you have bear, a sausage maker? Whatd he go in with a Dremel? USually they try to keep nerve damage low on elective surgery.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 05:47 am
Actually farmerman it was hardly elective surgery.

I'm sort of feeling little better the last couple of days. I've walked, and only had to take one pain med at the end of the evening to get through the day.
My energy level is up a little.

Tomorrow is the after Jimmy V tournament party and I will have to work that. The regular celebs have already asked for me. I'll have one of my guys on hand in case I need to take a break.

I'll see what they say on the 20th. Then my son has an appointment with his neurologist on the 31st. Does the fun ever stop? Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 06:05 am
Blimey.

Well, I am glad you be a little better.

Neurologist?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 06:13 am
ok, Im glad theres some relief in sight here. You realize that youll need to develop a third alter ego because throbber is kinda unlucky. IMHO.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 06:17 am
dlowan wrote:
Blimey.

Well, I am glad you be a little better.

Neurologist?

My oldest boy cub has non tractable seizure disorder. This is a regular checkup type thing. Pretty routine after 20 years. It's a pain in the ass to drive round trip to Chapel Hill ( about 55 miles from the door) but they are cutting edge and very patient oriented there, even though my cub is a Duke fan. Laughing
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 07:27 am
I'm glad the pain is subsiding somewhat, Bear, but I'm still VERY concerned.

What's this about waiting until the 20TH??? Of September?! NO!!! Surely not!!!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 10:31 am
actually, the best surgeon in the world cant undo nerve damage.
nerves are sensative and just like all of the rest of the body, they need time to heal as well.
They are just more PAINFUL then other parts. hehe
Noddy's idea is probally right on the money.
Realize everyone, Bears incision isnt bandaid size..
this is a large cut in his abdomen. Lots of nerves are severed to do that kind of procedure.
Maybe one wasnt attached as well and as it grows itself back together, it is registering as severe pain.
Quite the possibility.

damn bear.. you better be glad you dont live close to me or i would be there everyday with my Nurse Rachett behavior and Im god identity complex. Shocked
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 10:41 am
by all means bring it on big nurse...I've got rubber gloves and ky from when squinney and I play the sorority girl and the gynecologist.....
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 10:45 am
i play gyno with a garden hose.....

i aint scared of you ;-)
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 01:07 pm
BBB
shewolfnm wrote:
i play gyno with a garden hose.....

i aint scared of you ;-)

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

BBB
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 01:11 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
I play the sorority girl .

Shocked

uhhh TMI dude.....

Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 01:45 pm
I've always heard that nerves rarely regenerate. Large nerves can be stitched back together, but the smaller branches and the twigs and the twiglets....

BPB--

Man of Aggressive Abdominal Ghosts.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 04:24 pm
Although, Noddy - there was something within this past year, possibly in the last few months, about some nerves regernerating, in some research situation.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 05:05 pm
Osso--

I saw that story--some do, some don't.

Naturally, researchers are fascinated.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 06:37 pm
i think when they have been severed , in operations or large cuts, the chances are higher for regeneration/ healing then when they are ripped or destroyed due to fluid build up like paralization cases
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 06:46 pm
Well, we're all just guessing.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 03:36:27